2003 Ford Escape

Best SUV Ever!!

by from Greenville, SC on March 3, 2011

I bought a 2003 Ford Escape XLT with 111,220 miles on it for driving back and forth to work. Had it now for a year and have had no problems. It has now 125,000 miles on it. Easy to see out of. Easy to park. Can carry all my work equipment and 3 more passangers. Must buy for anyone looking for a great suv.

good suv and great on gas

by from indianapolis on April 15, 2011

best suv ever.good on gas great 4x4.fun to drive,great on snow.had one before for 5 years and i am looking to get a newer model this year

Ford Escape

by from Fresno, Ca on August 28, 2010

I love the ergonomics, economy and utility of this car. It is not meant to be a heavy duty vehicle but still pulls my boat without isse. I have had zero issues with my Escape would recommend this vehicle to anyone.

nothing exciting but it works

by from on October 28, 2010

I needed something that could haul a good amount of college student type stuff yet get ok gas mileage. This car was it. I have had it for about 5 years and still currently own it. Overall it did what i wanted, it carried stuff, and it got you from A to B without using a huge amount of gas. Problem is that its sort of a boring vehicle. Nothing bad about the car, just nothing to get you excited either. Thats why i now also own a S2000. I had the V6 and for a small SUV that thing had some power. On normal days i get around 18 city and 24 highway. This is on the 2WD version. Reliability has been good for me. The only thing worth mentioning was that at 60k miles i had to replace the control arms. The bushing in the control arm was falling apart, and since Ford made the control arms out of aluminum the mechanic told me they couldnt replace the bushings without bending the control arms. So, I had to buy all new control arms just to replace the bushings. Thats just some manufacturing cost saving design work by Ford, but the car itself has never let me down.

No escaping this Escape.

by from mi on July 25, 2006

It handles very well. The cornering is very tight. The speed and acceleration is powerful, especially for merging on highways or for pulling recreation vehicles. Make sure to rotate the tires though. Improper tread width leads to unusually noisy road noise. The price was very affordable compared to a larger size suv(Explorer, Jeep Cherokee..) Having grown up from the Motor city it's great to find yet another finely designed vehicle. Thumbs up Ford Motor Co.

Just Keeps Going

by from Indianapolis on August 8, 2013

This is by far the best vehicle I have owned. Just turned over 304,000 miles with no transmission issues. It is my daily driver. I am averaging 25.4 mpg on my commute. Besides the items that normally need to be replaced, I have replaced O2 sensors, tie rod ends, and some gaskets. That is all. One complaint, the Duratec motors are very expensive to work on due to the amount of labor involved. For example, it cost $265 in labor alone to replace the spark plugs. Overall, a great vehicle that will haul many larger items. I will purchase another one when this one goes.

Great sales vehicle

by from philly on November 24, 2010

Bought it new in 2003. Great vehicle. No major problems. Have 120,000 and will keep for another 80,000. The original continental tires it came with were noisy. Switched over to Firestone and the ride was much quieter. The oil pans are made of cheap sheet metal and after 7 years of oil changes the pan needed to be replaced. Beyond that regular tune ups and oil changes and brakes. Oh the temp control knob broke at 110,000 so I bought a couple on eBay for 20 bucks. It is paid for and I will run it until it dies.

I love this car

by from san diego on April 11, 2008

this is the second escape that i've owned and i think they are reliable and great looking. i'm glad i got the v6, it's quicker and handles better than the 4 cyl.

Lots of problems

by from Mcewen, Tn on October 26, 2012

Clanking noise over bumps. Motor mounts broken,radio dead, auto door locks dead, hood coating peeling

Most reliable car I've owned and still going stron

by from Michigan on September 9, 2014

I have had my 2003 Escape since 2005 and this is my daily commuter vehicle. Mileage is at 216,000 and it keeps on ticking. Excellent in the rough Michigan winter and have not been stuck with my 4WD. I feel safe in my Escape with my family and my next vehicle will definitely be another Escape!!!

Our Expert Review: 2003 Ford Escape