NEW
Take our quiz & meet the car you’ll love.
2000 Explorer

2000 Ford Explorer

$241 - $4,765  MSRP Range
2000 Ford Explorer

4.2

4 out of 5 stars Interior Design

Have You Driven the 2000 Ford Explorer?

Still working just fine, thank you

by Little Green Truck from Vancouver Island BC on Sat Dec 26 2009

I bought this vehicle new in November of 1999, and have just hit 100 000 miles. I replaced the original shocks with Edelbrocks, the aircleaner with a K&N, put in plantinum plugs and changed the tires to Michelins. (remember the Firestone fiasco?) I have been very scrupulous in regular oil and other fluid changes. The brakes lasted about 70 000 miles, and were changed out at a Brake and Muffler shop - sorry Ford, your rates are just too high. My only problems were a leaky intake manifold gasket (Ford should have fixed this under warrant, but didn't - you lost marks, there guys, especially when you changed the wrong part first and charged me for that too.) I hooked up a better trailer hitch and towed a 3000 pound holiday trailer and made it home again, my gas mileage declining from about 18 on average to about 12. There has never been enough storage - the glove box is too small, ditto the box between the seats, and the little holders in the doors aren't good for much. And where can I hang a garbage bag?? The V6 SOHC engine with auto tranny is quite powerful enough for me, but it is difficult to work on. I could not change the back two plugs on the left hand side of the engine with the regular tools I owned. Also, I bought a real oil pressure gauge, the original one being nothing more than an analog idiot light, but was thwarted from installing it because the engine would have to be removed to access the pressure metering point. The lumbar support adjustment in the drivers' seat no longer works - I suppose I could try to fix it but haven't bothered. I am very pleased to mention that there is little or no rusting of the body - my two previous Fords, both Broncos, had devastating rust damage by the time they were ten years old. This coming spring I plan to replace the exhaust system, sandblast and repaint the nerfbar/running board arrangement, replace the thermostat, get a new set of Michelins and then hopefully carry on for another four or five years. But my daughter is eying the vehicle, and I might have to adapt my thinking.

Impressed Ford Explorer owner

by SUV LOVER from Tampa, FL on Thu May 06 2010

I purchased my explorer in used in 2002. This model is a 2000. I really love it! It has been one of my best investments. It is reliable and a great value for the quality of the vehicle.

Solid Value for Truck-Based SUV

by Explorer Fan from Knoxville, TN on Fri Oct 05 2007

I've had my 2000 Explorer XLT 4X4 for about a year and a half. I have the 4.0 SOHC engine (205 hp) V6 and leather interior. Overall, it has been a solid, good-looking midsize SUV. The engine has great acceleration and plenty of power to tow as well. The 5 speed automatic transmission helps with gas mileage a little, but it downshifts and upshifts too often on hilly roads. The auto 4x4 seems to respond well to wheel spin in wet conditions, although it is not instantaneous. Since the SUV is truck-based, it does ride poorly over rough spots in the road and there is pronounced body lean in corners, but that is to be expected I guess. Interior room for driver and front seat passenger is surprisingly tight, but the back seat and cargo area are very spacious. Ergonomics seem just right with stereo, air conditioning, etc. in easy reach and the center console has the perfect height arm rest. The large sunroof is great, too. Mechanically, I have only had to replace a front wheel bearing, but overall it has been very reliable. I have about 93,000 miles on it and hope to keep it running for a while longer. Good value for the money if you don't mind seeing 100 others on the road beside you.

Dependable and usable

by Truck enthusiast from Sioux City, IA on Tue Mar 01 2011

Owned my Sport since 2007. Just love it. Pulled a 5x8 trailer from Vegas to Iowa and couldn't even tell it was back there! Got between 17 and 20 mpg too. The hatch makes great for hauling anything from lawn mower to groceries.

Best Vehicle I have Owned Yet

by Explorer from Washington, DC on Mon Nov 19 2007

I purchased a 2000 Explorer XLT V8 with AWD used in early 2002 with 30K miles. I have been driving it ever since. I have never had a problem with it and only do routine maintenance. It is perfect for every day driving and also long road trips. I have been on cross-country trips numerous times and it has never let me down. I live in the city and it is simple to parallel park. I plan on keeping this vehicle until it is dead. My friends and family all love it and ask to borrow it all the time. I am hoping to get to 200K miles or more.

I luv my SUV!!!

by explorerlover from Carleton, MI on Sat Jun 20 2009

Bought this car used in '04 with 53K miles. It is the XLS model, 6 cyl./auto. Car is comfortable, driven on long trips and not tiring. Use it every day plus on trips. Can throw my bike in the back and go. Gas mileage was better than expected. Car has been very reliable - oil changes, brakes, new tires, maintenance stuff. No major problems. Handling could be iffy, car could easily go out of control if one oversteers. I think the wheel base was changed in the 02's gave it more stability. Just gotta be really careful. Four wheel drive has saved me many times in snowy situations. Still has good body integrity, step bars are starting to rust. Car still looks good when cleaned up. I love this car overall, has 120K+ miles - going for 125K+. Hope to keep it running for a long time to come.

Best cars I've had.

by MamaChida from Greenville, TX on Mon Mar 19 2018

The engines literally outlast the body. They will last a long time. They run hard, they are reliable. They have lots of room. These are great cars.

Perfect Car

by Kevo_babe from Colorado on Mon Jul 13 2009

i have the limited model and it is awesome i drove it to arizona for a trip and i handles perfect and is good at high sppeds the interior is super comfortable and it was good on gas miliage i recommend this car to anyone wanna a good used SUV

200,000 and still purrs

by Explorer fan from Chicago on Sat Mar 23 2019

I bought my 200 Explorer XLT with 20,000 miles. Once it passed 150K I started keeping my eyes open for another car. I am a Diesel Mechanic by trade. I drive it like an old lady. Changed oil every 4,000 mi, Trans and transfer case 40, 000 mi. Other than routine maintenance and minor repairs, it just keeps going. I have enjoyed many camping and fishing trips and road trips with her. Replace muffler, exh manifold, EGR solenoid, A/C compressor clutch, Steering and suspension parts. Minor problems. About $500 per yr. I just passed 200,000 mi. in 2019 Yes this car is 19 years old. no car payment for 16 yrs. I was able to save up the cash for a new car. I will drive this car until motor or trans goes bad 300,000??? we'll see

not as good as my '91 explorer but great truck

by bluzie51 from melbourne, florida on Sun Jan 28 2007

I've owned two 2dr explorers. One was a '91 the other a 2000 model. 2000 model has less leg room and comfort compared to '91. 2000 model has more refined easier to use/access features, (i.e. a/c, power plug, radio.). A/C seems more reliable in 2000, seemed earlier models (ford in general) a/c would have major problems at around 50,000 miles. Although the 2000 is a quality vehicle, I drove my '91 for a 155,000 miles with a lot a life left when I sold it. I just don't think the 2000 is as durable as the '91. Physical ride in 2000 model is rougher than '91, could be partially due to the tires (goodyear wrangler's on '00 and firestone atx's on '91). But I do not believe a different brand of tires would cause a drastic difference in ride smoothness. Overall, I think '91 was a better vehicle I would still recommend the 2000 model as a versatile reliable truck.

1 2 3 4 5