2000 Explorer

4.1 out of 5 starsExterior Styling
4.4 out of 5 starsValue for the Money
4.6 out of 5 starsReliability

All Reviews

Very reliable with low maintenance costs

by Paul from South Dakota on February 3, 2012

I bought my Explorer XLT with 44K miles. It now has 182K miles. I follow the Owner's Manual for scheduled maintenance. Amazingly very few repairs. 17.4 mpg tank to tank but it gets 20 mpg on long trips. Original tranny and V-8 engine operate as new. Hoping to drive my Explorer to 225K and then buy another one. This vehicle stays on the road in bad snow storms!! I buy Goodyear Wrangler tires.

Still working just fine, thank you

by Little Green Truck from Vancouver Island BC on December 26, 2009

I bought this vehicle new in November of 1999, and have just hit 100 000 miles. I replaced the original shocks with Edelbrocks, the aircleaner with a K&N, put in plantinum plugs and changed the tires to Michelins. (remember the Firestone fiasco?) I have been very scrupulous in regular oil and other fluid changes. The brakes lasted about 70 000 miles, and were changed out at a Brake and Muffler shop - sorry Ford, your rates are just too high. My only problems were a leaky intake manifold gasket (Ford should have fixed this under warrant, but didn't - you lost marks, there guys, especially when you changed the wrong part first and charged me for that too.) I hooked up a better trailer hitch and towed a 3000 pound holiday trailer and made it home again, my gas mileage declining from about 18 on average to about 12. There has never been enough storage - the glove box is too small, ditto the box between the seats, and the little holders in the doors aren't good for much. And where can I hang a garbage bag?? The V6 SOHC engine with auto tranny is quite powerful enough for me, but it is difficult to work on. I could not change the back two plugs on the left hand side of the engine with the regular tools I owned. Also, I bought a real oil pressure gauge, the original one being nothing more than an analog idiot light, but was thwarted from installing it because the engine would have to be removed to access the pressure metering point. The lumbar support adjustment in the drivers' seat no longer works - I suppose I could try to fix it but haven't bothered. I am very pleased to mention that there is little or no rusting of the body - my two previous Fords, both Broncos, had devastating rust damage by the time they were ten years old. This coming spring I plan to replace the exhaust system, sandblast and repaint the nerfbar/running board arrangement, replace the thermostat, get a new set of Michelins and then hopefully carry on for another four or five years. But my daughter is eying the vehicle, and I might have to adapt my thinking.

Good used buy

by Dex from San Antonio, Texas. on August 22, 2016

Mine is a 2000 Sport, so two doors which is a minus for many folk. However, with the rear seats down, you could sleep in it! I bought it in January 2014 with only 63k miles showing. I have used it as a second vehicle and it now has 76k on the odometer, (August 2016) Anyway, this car is like putting on a comfy pair of slippers. It is predictable, dependable and reliable. Ford's body on frame design is solid and functional if not as comfortably numb as modern designs. To date, I have had zero breakdowns, replaced the power steering pump (minor leak) and installed new suspension dampers, tires and front brake pads. It has a slight timing chain rattle on start up, hot or cold and the rear wiper does not work....these are known problem areas on these vehicles! If you are looking for a no frills get you around car, this may be for you. Also, most local garages know how to fix them and most auto parts stores can supply what you need after the ten year cut off that dealers are legally required to supply parts for....even on a Sunday! To sum up, this car is a new version of the Model T! I love it.

Solid Value for Truck-Based SUV

by Explorer Fan from Knoxville, TN on October 5, 2007

I've had my 2000 Explorer XLT 4X4 for about a year and a half. I have the 4.0 SOHC engine (205 hp) V6 and leather interior. Overall, it has been a solid, good-looking midsize SUV. The engine has great acceleration and plenty of power to tow as well. The 5 speed automatic transmission helps with gas mileage a little, but it downshifts and upshifts too often on hilly roads. The auto 4x4 seems to respond well to wheel spin in wet conditions, although it is not instantaneous. Since the SUV is truck-based, it does ride poorly over rough spots in the road and there is pronounced body lean in corners, but that is to be expected I guess. Interior room for driver and front seat passenger is surprisingly tight, but the back seat and cargo area are very spacious. Ergonomics seem just right with stereo, air conditioning, etc. in easy reach and the center console has the perfect height arm rest. The large sunroof is great, too. Mechanically, I have only had to replace a front wheel bearing, but overall it has been very reliable. I have about 93,000 miles on it and hope to keep it running for a while longer. Good value for the money if you don't mind seeing 100 others on the road beside you.

Impressed Ford Explorer owner

by SUV LOVER from Tampa, FL on May 6, 2010

I purchased my explorer in used in 2002. This model is a 2000. I really love it! It has been one of my best investments. It is reliable and a great value for the quality of the vehicle.

Dependable and usable

by Truck enthusiast from Sioux City, IA on March 1, 2011

Owned my Sport since 2007. Just love it. Pulled a 5x8 trailer from Vegas to Iowa and couldn't even tell it was back there! Got between 17 and 20 mpg too. The hatch makes great for hauling anything from lawn mower to groceries.

Best Vehicle I have Owned Yet

by Explorer from Washington, DC on November 19, 2007

I purchased a 2000 Explorer XLT V8 with AWD used in early 2002 with 30K miles. I have been driving it ever since. I have never had a problem with it and only do routine maintenance. It is perfect for every day driving and also long road trips. I have been on cross-country trips numerous times and it has never let me down. I live in the city and it is simple to parallel park. I plan on keeping this vehicle until it is dead. My friends and family all love it and ask to borrow it all the time. I am hoping to get to 200K miles or more.

Perfect Car

by Kevo_babe from Colorado on July 13, 2009

i have the limited model and it is awesome i drove it to arizona for a trip and i handles perfect and is good at high sppeds the interior is super comfortable and it was good on gas miliage i recommend this car to anyone wanna a good used SUV

Great for so many uses

by Msal from Phoenix AZ on April 26, 2017

Very reliable vehicle. powerful and useful for hauling, dogs etc, easy to work on everything is accessible.

loved it

by jtnwench from on June 12, 2017

it was good till the teans went out then i had to junk it but it was a nice truck would get one now if i had the money for it

1 2 3 4