2000 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews

4.1
Average based on 27 reviews

Engine won't Die

by from Lowell Massachusetts on July 26, 2010

Bought it used with 70,000 on it, at 102,000 it developed Timing chain Rattle, Ford knew about this happening in their 4.0 engines, called ford and found out I was 2,000 miles over their warrenty, Was going to fix it myself, Bought the service manuel, first 2 words in the chapter about timming chain replacement was "Remove Engine". No Thanks, The truck NOW has 160,000 miles on it, Heh Heh, This truck is thumbing its nose at Ford, I LOVE this truck, It just goes and Goes! Never any Big problems

Worht your money

by from Fort Worth, Texas on December 12, 2012

In November 2012, I sold a 2000 Ford Explorer XLS that I purchased new in May 2000. I put 182k miles on the vehicle and had no major mechanical problems. The biggest issue I had was having to have the fuel injectors cleaned when the vehicle was 6 years old. Other than that, it ran well and I just had to repair normal wear and tear parts. To say I got my money's worth out of the vehicle would be an understatement.

An Overall Okay Truck

by from Long Island, NY on March 13, 2010

I bought this car almost a year ago used at 102k miles at that time. Here is my review... The Good: The gas mileage for this SUV is fantastic. I do a lot of driving between work and everything else, and I get on average of 20 mpg highway. It handles great in the snow and rain. I can leave the 4WD setting on either "auto", or "low", and will still maintain control of the vehicle. The 4.0 SOHC engine is perfect for this truck. At first when I got it, it took a little pressing of the gas pedal to get it going. Got that fixed with the factory scheduled rear differential service done to it. Now the bad... I'm in agreement with never having enough storage. The glove compartment is horrible, the cup holders could be better. Although the seats are VERY comfy for me (I'm 6'1 and have a built frame), the quality of fabric could of been better for my liking, but all this is what I expected because of it being a 2000 model. I recently had to pay almost $450 on replacing both upper control arms on both the drivers and passenger's side of the front end, along with the ball joints and stabilizer links (all this in order to pass inspection). I wish Ford wouldn't charge a vital organ for their parts through the dealer, but I bought the parts I needed through a buddy of mine. Overall, the "bad parts" are not all THAT bad. Besides the front end work I've done to it, it's a great running truck. I'm religious of putting 100% synthetic oil in when I get the oil changed, and it runs so much better on synthetic over regular. The transmission hasn't given me problems yet, and shifts great. I have Firestone tires on it which are great and the ride is relatively quiet for a mid-sized SUV. I plan on buying a newer Explorer or an Expidition. Ford knows how to make a good truck, easy to work on for the most part. If they didn't charge me so much for parts I would of given everything a 5 rating. At 112k+ miles, it's still running strong. Would recommend this vehicle to anyone.

Best SUV Ever owned

by from on July 18, 2010

This suv is amazing its not only for soccer mom's i am a young guy and don't have kids and i still drive this truck. Amazing the only bad thing is the gas gets pricey after awhile.

Very reliable with low maintenance costs

by from South Dakota on February 3, 2012

I bought my Explorer XLT with 44K miles. It now has 182K miles. I follow the Owner's Manual for scheduled maintenance. Amazingly very few repairs. 17.4 mpg tank to tank but it gets 20 mpg on long trips. Original tranny and V-8 engine operate as new. Hoping to drive my Explorer to 225K and then buy another one. This vehicle stays on the road in bad snow storms!! I buy Goodyear Wrangler tires.

Still working just fine, thank you

by from Vancouver Island BC on December 26, 2009

I bought this vehicle new in November of 1999, and have just hit 100 000 miles. I replaced the original shocks with Edelbrocks, the aircleaner with a K&N, put in plantinum plugs and changed the tires to Michelins. (remember the Firestone fiasco?) I have been very scrupulous in regular oil and other fluid changes. The brakes lasted about 70 000 miles, and were changed out at a Brake and Muffler shop - sorry Ford, your rates are just too high. My only problems were a leaky intake manifold gasket (Ford should have fixed this under warrant, but didn't - you lost marks, there guys, especially when you changed the wrong part first and charged me for that too.) I hooked up a better trailer hitch and towed a 3000 pound holiday trailer and made it home again, my gas mileage declining from about 18 on average to about 12. There has never been enough storage - the glove box is too small, ditto the box between the seats, and the little holders in the doors aren't good for much. And where can I hang a garbage bag?? The V6 SOHC engine with auto tranny is quite powerful enough for me, but it is difficult to work on. I could not change the back two plugs on the left hand side of the engine with the regular tools I owned. Also, I bought a real oil pressure gauge, the original one being nothing more than an analog idiot light, but was thwarted from installing it because the engine would have to be removed to access the pressure metering point. The lumbar support adjustment in the drivers' seat no longer works - I suppose I could try to fix it but haven't bothered. I am very pleased to mention that there is little or no rusting of the body - my two previous Fords, both Broncos, had devastating rust damage by the time they were ten years old. This coming spring I plan to replace the exhaust system, sandblast and repaint the nerfbar/running board arrangement, replace the thermostat, get a new set of Michelins and then hopefully carry on for another four or five years. But my daughter is eying the vehicle, and I might have to adapt my thinking.

Safe and reliable

by from West nj on April 9, 2011

I just was in a roll over accident and walked away with a few cuts. bought at 66k miles and had 175k when I flipped it over 3 times. Only replaced the radiator and steering rack. I'm lucky and this truck served me well. There was some rattles but for me I made a good purchase

Solid Value for Truck-Based SUV

by from Knoxville, TN on October 5, 2007

I've had my 2000 Explorer XLT 4X4 for about a year and a half. I have the 4.0 SOHC engine (205 hp) V6 and leather interior. Overall, it has been a solid, good-looking midsize SUV. The engine has great acceleration and plenty of power to tow as well. The 5 speed automatic transmission helps with gas mileage a little, but it downshifts and upshifts too often on hilly roads. The auto 4x4 seems to respond well to wheel spin in wet conditions, although it is not instantaneous. Since the SUV is truck-based, it does ride poorly over rough spots in the road and there is pronounced body lean in corners, but that is to be expected I guess. Interior room for driver and front seat passenger is surprisingly tight, but the back seat and cargo area are very spacious. Ergonomics seem just right with stereo, air conditioning, etc. in easy reach and the center console has the perfect height arm rest. The large sunroof is great, too. Mechanically, I have only had to replace a front wheel bearing, but overall it has been very reliable. I have about 93,000 miles on it and hope to keep it running for a while longer. Good value for the money if you don't mind seeing 100 others on the road beside you.

Impressed Ford Explorer owner

by from Tampa, FL on May 6, 2010

I purchased my explorer in used in 2002. This model is a 2000. I really love it! It has been one of my best investments. It is reliable and a great value for the quality of the vehicle.

Nice car

by from Long Island, NY on November 27, 2006

Have driven the car over 50,000 miles and still drives as well as when I bought it. I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a sturdy yet comfortable auto.