2000 Ford Explorer

Best SUV Ever owned

by from on July 18, 2010

This suv is amazing its not only for soccer mom's i am a young guy and don't have kids and i still drive this truck. Amazing the only bad thing is the gas gets pricey after awhile.

Very reliable with low maintenance costs

by from South Dakota on February 3, 2012

I bought my Explorer XLT with 44K miles. It now has 182K miles. I follow the Owner's Manual for scheduled maintenance. Amazingly very few repairs. 17.4 mpg tank to tank but it gets 20 mpg on long trips. Original tranny and V-8 engine operate as new. Hoping to drive my Explorer to 225K and then buy another one. This vehicle stays on the road in bad snow storms!! I buy Goodyear Wrangler tires.

Good used buy

by from San Antonio, Texas. on August 22, 2016

Mine is a 2000 Sport, so two doors which is a minus for many folk. However, with the rear seats down, you could sleep in it! I bought it in January 2014 with only 63k miles showing. I have used it as a second vehicle and it now has 76k on the odometer, (August 2016) Anyway, this car is like putting on a comfy pair of slippers. It is predictable, dependable and reliable. Ford's body on frame design is solid and functional if not as comfortably numb as modern designs. To date, I have had zero breakdowns, replaced the power steering pump (minor leak) and installed new suspension dampers, tires and front brake pads. It has a slight timing chain rattle on start up, hot or cold and the rear wiper does not work....these are known problem areas on these vehicles! If you are looking for a no frills get you around car, this may be for you. Also, most local garages know how to fix them and most auto parts stores can supply what you need after the ten year cut off that dealers are legally required to supply parts for....even on a Sunday! To sum up, this car is a new version of the Model T! I love it.

Still working just fine, thank you

by from Vancouver Island BC on December 26, 2009

I bought this vehicle new in November of 1999, and have just hit 100 000 miles. I replaced the original shocks with Edelbrocks, the aircleaner with a K&N, put in plantinum plugs and changed the tires to Michelins. (remember the Firestone fiasco?) I have been very scrupulous in regular oil and other fluid changes. The brakes lasted about 70 000 miles, and were changed out at a Brake and Muffler shop - sorry Ford, your rates are just too high. My only problems were a leaky intake manifold gasket (Ford should have fixed this under warrant, but didn't - you lost marks, there guys, especially when you changed the wrong part first and charged me for that too.) I hooked up a better trailer hitch and towed a 3000 pound holiday trailer and made it home again, my gas mileage declining from about 18 on average to about 12. There has never been enough storage - the glove box is too small, ditto the box between the seats, and the little holders in the doors aren't good for much. And where can I hang a garbage bag?? The V6 SOHC engine with auto tranny is quite powerful enough for me, but it is difficult to work on. I could not change the back two plugs on the left hand side of the engine with the regular tools I owned. Also, I bought a real oil pressure gauge, the original one being nothing more than an analog idiot light, but was thwarted from installing it because the engine would have to be removed to access the pressure metering point. The lumbar support adjustment in the drivers' seat no longer works - I suppose I could try to fix it but haven't bothered. I am very pleased to mention that there is little or no rusting of the body - my two previous Fords, both Broncos, had devastating rust damage by the time they were ten years old. This coming spring I plan to replace the exhaust system, sandblast and repaint the nerfbar/running board arrangement, replace the thermostat, get a new set of Michelins and then hopefully carry on for another four or five years. But my daughter is eying the vehicle, and I might have to adapt my thinking.

Safe and reliable

by from West nj on April 9, 2011

I just was in a roll over accident and walked away with a few cuts. bought at 66k miles and had 175k when I flipped it over 3 times. Only replaced the radiator and steering rack. I'm lucky and this truck served me well. There was some rattles but for me I made a good purchase

Solid Value for Truck-Based SUV

by from Knoxville, TN on October 5, 2007

I've had my 2000 Explorer XLT 4X4 for about a year and a half. I have the 4.0 SOHC engine (205 hp) V6 and leather interior. Overall, it has been a solid, good-looking midsize SUV. The engine has great acceleration and plenty of power to tow as well. The 5 speed automatic transmission helps with gas mileage a little, but it downshifts and upshifts too often on hilly roads. The auto 4x4 seems to respond well to wheel spin in wet conditions, although it is not instantaneous. Since the SUV is truck-based, it does ride poorly over rough spots in the road and there is pronounced body lean in corners, but that is to be expected I guess. Interior room for driver and front seat passenger is surprisingly tight, but the back seat and cargo area are very spacious. Ergonomics seem just right with stereo, air conditioning, etc. in easy reach and the center console has the perfect height arm rest. The large sunroof is great, too. Mechanically, I have only had to replace a front wheel bearing, but overall it has been very reliable. I have about 93,000 miles on it and hope to keep it running for a while longer. Good value for the money if you don't mind seeing 100 others on the road beside you.

Impressed Ford Explorer owner

by from Tampa, FL on May 6, 2010

I purchased my explorer in used in 2002. This model is a 2000. I really love it! It has been one of my best investments. It is reliable and a great value for the quality of the vehicle.

Nice car

by from Long Island, NY on November 27, 2006

Have driven the car over 50,000 miles and still drives as well as when I bought it. I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a sturdy yet comfortable auto.

Best car

by from TN on October 6, 2008

I love this cari ts nice and roomy. The engine is powerful enough for me but I dn't know about you. It is prety comfortable on long rides. It's kind of bouncy sometimes. It runs really good. I have 140k on mine and it still runs like its new.

Dependable and usable

by from Sioux City, IA on March 1, 2011

Owned my Sport since 2007. Just love it. Pulled a 5x8 trailer from Vegas to Iowa and couldn't even tell it was back there! Got between 17 and 20 mpg too. The hatch makes great for hauling anything from lawn mower to groceries.