Find out if this car is the best match for you.
2011 Explorer

2011 Ford Explorer

2011 Ford Explorer

4.2

Have You Driven the 2011 Ford Explorer?

Ready for Mother Nature

by Mn Driver from Minnesota on Sat Dec 08 2012

We just purchased a used 2011 Explorer Limited a week ago, and I am very pleased with the value and performance. We just received our first snow of the year, and I never once slide around on the road in our 2011 Explorer. We were looking for a vehicle with average MPG and AWD that would give us the security we needed to drive on our Minnesota roads. We are pleased with the new rebuild model of the 2011 Explorer. The navigation system, sony sound system, moon roof, rear and middle automatic folding seats are wonderful features. We are enjoying using the touch screen controls, and the keyless automatic engine start. The technology advancements from our 2005 vehicle are so different, but we are enjoying learning how to use all of the new features with this vehicle. After all of our searching, I am sure that we made the right choice with the Explorer. Feel confident driving on whatever Mother Nature brings our way now.

Great Mid-sized SUV

by MichaelP from Louisville, KY on Wed Aug 02 2017

I bought this SUV around this time last year. It had about 70 thousand miles on it when I bought it so, I was a little nervous but, I only wanted to spend 15 thousand on a car and it needed to have ok gas mileage, be able to seat adults comfortably, and tow a 4000 pound boat. I stumbled upon a white limited explorer with a tow package and I bought it after a comfortable test drive. I've put about 25 thousand miles on it over the past year and it has been a very good car so far without any issues. I average around 22 mpg combined so, it does pretty well for my 40 mile round trip commute and I drive like an idiot. I bought a FWD version so, that makes things interesting when pulling a 4 thousand pound boat full of people and stuff out of the lake but, it does it, unhappily. Against my better judgement, I have had it up to 80 towing the same boat so, it has the power, which is nice. Mine has the dual sunroof and I think some wind noise results from that but, nothing terrible. All in, I am happy with it, especially for the price I paid. Also, make sure yours has the spare tire option because mine didn't and that was an annoying discovery at 11:30 pm on the way through the smoky mountains in the rain. I bought a spare time from a junk yard out of a wrecked explorer for 25 bucks and it fits perfectly. One neat thing is that I have been asked how well I like my range rover on more than one occasion so, apparently, to some, it looks like a range rover.

Fifth Explorer Best One Yet

by Mike-Fifth Explorer from Grand Rapids Michigan on Sun Dec 23 2012

My Ford Touch works much better than expected. Consumers Reports criticism not warranted, particularly after a week or so living with My Ford Touch. This Explorer SUV is a vast improvement over the 4 prior Explorers I have owned. Much more car-like ride, very quiet and smooth. About 20% better fuel economy too. Had 3rd seat passengers today for first time and they said it was comfortable back there.

Love it!!

by Kentucky Mom from Kentucky on Mon Apr 23 2012

I was looking for a larger car/suv since my kids have gotten older and bigger. I loved the look of the new Explorer and have previously owned several Fords. I found a 2011 Ford demo model and was able to get what I thought was a great deal. I've only had it for 6 weeks but I do love it! The body style is eye catching and the interior is roomy and very comfortable. We took it to Florida 2 weeks after we bought it and got 24 mpg, which I thought was pretty good considering the size of the vehicle. The car is air tight and very comfortable to drive - you don't hear anything outside!! It's great for our family and I would definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a larger SUV.

stylish hi-tech luxury

by loyal to Ford from Tennessee on Mon Dec 05 2011

I followed the auto magazine reviews of the re-designed Ford Explorer and decided that I would buy one in 2011. I opted for a loaded Explorer Limited and have not regretted the decision. It is comfortable to drive, gets good fuel economy and has some hi tech features that make it very safe to drive. My first car in 1964 was a used 1950 Ford coupe and I have owned several in the intervening years including 2 full-sized Broncos, an F350 pickup, a 1999 Ford Explorer, and a Lincoln Aviator.

Great Vehicle!!

by RysXplr from on Tue Jan 22 2013

Love the new Explorer Limited-4WD!! Only reason I gave the value/interior 4 out of 5 stars is no rear heated seats, for this class of MSRP vehicle, those should be included when ordering the rear bucket seats. Very comfortable and quiet ride with lots of power from the 3.5L V6. Terrain system is excellent too! Overall I get 20.5mpg in mixed driving. MyTouch is not as distracting once you get to know it, free annual NAV updates from Ford is great value too.

Best SUV on the market

by Car Enthusiast from St. Petersburg Fl on Wed Jul 20 2011

I love the look of the car especially the interior of the 100% reinvented Ford Explorer. Amazing fuel econemy can get me across town with hardly even using 2 gallons of gas. And of course there are more ideas and features in this car than any other like the caps-less fuel, key-less entry, automatic parallel parking, blind spot warning, dual sunroof, 3rd row seating, cargo bed that folds completely flat, curve control, Terrain Management System, Plus Collision Warning, Adaptive Cruise Control, Trailer Sway Control, and of course SYNC with MyFord Touch which gives you many more features. Love the new Explorer and really recommend it to all.

good runner

by Walt Ryder from ny on Mon Aug 01 2011

I got the xlt explorer. I had it a few months and im still happy, so far so good no problems. It has plenty of power and torque so it will get you right down on the highway. I average about 20 mpg a tank which is better than my old Envoy that got 15mpg. I also love the sunroof and the sync feature.

What a Vehicle

by dinny from Ohio on Mon May 14 2012

Outstanding performance, smooth and quiet ride, easy to use controls, awesome styling, all at a great value. Go drive one!

Overall we're quite impressed

by Driver from Northern Michigan on Sat Nov 08 2014

I'm picky about what I drive, and I never thought I'd enjoy driving a vehicle like this. It actually handles extremely well for a SUV. Turn-in is quick and it corners very flat, there is almost no body roll. It's very maneuverable in parking lots and the all electric steering is quite light, but still gives good feedback. The fit and finish of the interior is excellent, the backup sensor and camera system are integrated very nicely with a great view and good warnings, the keyless entry system with remote start is very well executed (even though these things never have enough range, no matter who makes them), e.g. it auto unlocks when I have the key in my pocket. This car has so many bells and whistles, things I never expected to be there. Adaptive cruise control automatically slows when you approach a car in front of you, and you can adjust the gap to your comfort level, rain sensing wipers, etc. It does just about everything that I would expect in a high end european SUV. The collision warning system is kind of useless though, I think, I mean the only time I've noticed it is if a car is turning in front of me and I dont slow down (because I know its going to clear out) and the alarm goes off... otherwise there are a lot of other good features on this vehicle. The navigation is well done, even shows you speed limits for the road you are on. Oh, and I like that you can pair more than one phone over bluetooth... it lets you set priority too so for example, since this is primarily the wife's car I can be sure her phone pairs before mine if we are both in the car. The power rear lift gate is well thought out too, to the point you can set how high it opens (which in my case is great because I dont want it to go too high or it hits the top of our garage door). The touch-based radio screen can be a bit annoying sometimes. Its not terrible, but just different. I will say that I wish the climate controls below the touchscreen were traditional buttons. I keep brushing them accidentally when turning the volume knob and triggering them unintentionally. Another thing to get used to. I can't comment too much on reliability since we've only had it a few months and are only at about 45k miles, but I will point out that the 2011 is a new-release year and there are bound to be little gremlins or bugs to be worked out. The noisy A-pillers due to bad mounting clips are a good example, and so is the "shift to park" problems that are caused by a faulty switch in the shifter that can be resolved by simply tapping the trigger on the shifter if/when it rarely does happen. Honestly guys, these are very minor issues and nothing to really gripe about. If motors start blowing up at 100k miles or so, or driveshafts start making noises, then we should start complaining and urge people to "run away". We have been very very happy with our explorer limited. This is a really nice vehicle, very well done in my opinion.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Our Take on the 2011 Ford Explorer

Ford started beating the drum for its "reinvented" 2011 Explorer more than a year ago. The company's latest and greatest SUV would have unibody construction, better driving dynamics, more economical engines, and be loaded with safety and entertainment technology.

The new Explorer does accomplish all of that, though we wound up using it for the same mundane chores that became easier when Ford first took the SUV segment mainstream with the 1991 model.

Good friends Helen and Ken had decided to become snowbirds, making their Tampa-area home their winter base and using their Lake Winnipesaukee condo for summer. "Could we send some boxes to your house and pick them up when we get settled in?" they asked... Read More