2012 Civic

2012 Honda Civic

2012 Honda Civic

4.5

Have You Driven the 2012 Honda Civic?

2nd Time Around

by Jerry from Scottsdale, AZ on Wed Jun 22 2011

Had an '08 EX-L coupe (Black on Black) for our two teenage children to drive until my oldest son was t-boned a few weeks ago. He walked away from the scene unharmed, so naturally I considered another Civic. The Elantra was my wife's pick but I could not get myself to purchase a Hyundai over a Honda due to Honda's well-deserved and established reputation (at least in my eyes)...oh well. That being said I really like the new conservative-approach to te styling of this car. The interior is also this way, and while we like how crisp it is, it could use a bit of life. However, it's milestones ahead of the Corolla's blandness. Performance would be a 3 in my eyes, as it's somewhat slow, but that's expected with this class and the fuel mileage more than makes up for it. Based on the trip computer they seem to average 34 mpg in suburban traffic and on a recent trip to our home near Anaheim (about 350 miles each way) we got well above expected at 42.6 mpg at speeds of 70-75 mph, a VERY welcome change from our Escalade which barely crests 20 mpg under the same conditions for the same trip. Overall we are very happy with our new Polished Gray EX Sedan and hope this Civic lasts longer than the last one. Hoping the reliability us at least as good as the '08's and my Acura TL (also a winner from Honda), both of which have had absolutely zero issues with regular maintainence

Nice

by Highway king from Ohio on Wed Jun 15 2011

I drive 100 miles round trip for work daily. I down sized because of gas prices. I was worried going from a full size truck, but the civic is really comfortable. I was ready to by the elantra limited after reading reviews, but after the test drive...NO way. It felt cheap and unrefined. I test drove the civic exl twice, what a ride. This is my first Honda and will be pleased if reliability is good. After one week I average 38+ mpg with about 90% highway driving. I gave a 4 for performance because I'm used to more power, but hey it's an economy car. I really like the one touch sunroof and blue tooth. Highly recommend.

For the large in size.....It works!!!

by MB from Kansas City on Fri May 06 2011

I am 6'0 and 360 pounds. I am a traveling nurse and drive many miles a week. Comfort is important as well as good fuel efficiency. Two difficult qualities to reconcile. Honda has done it. I also own a 2011 civic and it is difficult for me to get in and out of usually rubbing either my right shoulder or my posterior end on the rubber door trim causing it to wear out and rip over time. The new 2012 does not have this problem. They have made the opening better in the right places. There feels like much more room in the driver position. More room between me and the dash. I can enter and exit the vehicle which I do all day long many times without problems. It is quieter, able to use built in blue tooth without problem. Is the older model more fun to drive? Perhaps. It has the sportier feeling and cool racing steering wheel. But this 2012 is much more comfortable. I have the ex-l. I drive all day without back pain. There is no lumbar support but not needed with these seats. They hold you in in all the right places. The awful parking brake has been replaced so as not to rub on the right side of the leg. The door panels are skinnier giving more room for the left leg. Over all it feels classier. Like being in an accord. I was greatly dissapointed the forst week as it felt sluggish and the cruise would lose 5 mph when going up hills. I de-selceted the green econ button and it then was just as peppy as the older version. And I am getting as advertised mpg. 32-33 around town combined hwy and city. Got 37 mpg when I drove 75% hwy. The style may be a bit uglier and not as "fun" but for all the increased benefits of more room and efficiency I don't care. Honda has achieved perfection in my book. One thing they need to change.....Start including xm sat, blue tooth, more power outlets, etc. in base model like Hyundai. I hate having to pay for sunroof etc. to get these features. Blue tooth should be standard on all cars for safety hands free driving. Come on Honda, you may be left behind if you don't start adding these. Hyundai is not going away.

BEST CIVIC YET

by LOVE MY 2012 CIVIC from New York, NY on Sun Jun 05 2011

I was fortunate enough to actually find an EX-L in Charcoal grey. Fully loaded. This car has one of the smoothest rides, most comfortable seating, and a cockpit that has everything at your fingertips. Honda designers hit a gramd slam on this ine. This is the best civic yet. Average 40-46 mpg on highway, and 35-40 around town using the Econ button. I would highly recommend this car to family and friends. The fit and finish is impeccable, and the quietest rides of any I have driven in its class.

3rd Honda Owner

by AStewart from Lakeland, FL on Fri Nov 29 2013

I purchased my 2012 Honda Civic LX for a steal. It has 35k miles on it and it drives as if it had just rolled off the lot brand new. I have previously owned 2 Honda Accords and I was skeptical about purchasing the civic due to the fact that it is much smaller and has less performance but I am so glad I did. It's a very smooth, roomy and quiet ride. It gets up and goes when you need it to! I have NO complaints about this car being slow because it certainly is not for a 4 cyl. I did not think I would like the digital speedometer but I really do. It's simple yet sophisticated. The sleek, sporty exterior and fantastic gas mileage doesn't hurt either. Once you drive it, you will love it.

Car is better than reported

by Tire kicker from Atlanta, Georgia on Sat Sep 03 2011

I have owned a 2012 Honda Civic LX for over 3 months and actually like it. I had test driven other compact cars and actually liked the room, ride and comfort of the Civic over the others. I still drive a big Ford Crown Victoria and the Hondas ride is pretty darn good compared to the Ford. The interior could be made with more padding and soft materials so that the Honda would not look so cheap. The seats are comforatable. The A\C works great which I really didn't expect as there is so much glass on the Honda. It has good visibility with all this glass area. The 5 speed automatic transmission sometimes hunts when going up a hill. The gas mileage is really good. It gets an average of 35.7 mpg going back and forth to work and scooting around the city while also sitting at those 5 minute traffic lights. So far it gets 41 on a open road crusing at 65 to 70 mph. I only have 4800 miles on it so far so it probably isn't fully broken in yet. Gas mileage can only improve. I don't care for the sport car feel as I am used to driving a large car with comfort. If I had wanted a sports car I would have bought a real sports car. This small car has almost everything that is needed to be a great car for going back and forth to work and rides well enough to take a trip in it. Time will tell how well it holds up, but since it has basically the same transmission and engine as the older civics it should do just fine. I also considered this before I purchased this car.

2012 Honda Civic LX

by Agri from Toronto on Mon Feb 06 2012

Honda offered this car at an excellent lease rate. So far I have 2000km on it. I like the styling and have no issues with the interior. All the gauges are easy to read, the seats are comfy, back seat room is excellent. Many reviewers have stated the interior is cheap. I personally find it to be good for the price. I think it looks tastefull, not cheap. The engine and tranny are proven. The tranny does not hunt , shifts smoothly and works seamlessly.I bought the car as a commuter and it fullfills the job admirably. I have gotten a best so far of 6.1l/100km and average around 7.9l/100km combined, not bad at all.At 140hp and a decent not to heavy weight the LX accelerates as needed. Its not a sports car, its a commuter. The braking has good feel and modulation, Im of the opinion the low friction tires did not help in the 60 to 0 distances. I cant seem to notice the wind noise as some mention. The car feels well planted and the suspension works well with the pot holes in Toronto. If I had to pick a negative it would be the steering does have ever so slightly a wooden feel, again in a commuter car its not an issue. I needed a low cost, reliable cheap to run car that is comfortable and this LX fits the bill. The dealer here is also excellent, this is important. Cars tried, Fiesta, focus, elantra and mazda 2. None were bad, the Honda IMHO did everything well, had good pricing, is a known entity and I have good dealership support.

Honda Civic coupe 2012

by Car Lover from Cincinnati, Ohio on Tue Jan 31 2012

Contrary to CR this is a great little car that performs well and gets wonderful mileage. I traded my Infiniti G35 to buy the Honda and could not be happier. I am saving over $120 per month in gas. The heated leather seats are excellent and the interior look nice, not cheap at all. I have driven many high end cars (BMW, MB, Infiniti) and for the price this car is a great value! I highly recommend it.

Excellent New Car Choice

by daw from Chicago on Wed Feb 29 2012

I recently purchased a Honda Civic LX about a month ago. I did a lot of research in advance and was down to the hyundai Elantra, Sonata, Mazda3, and Chevy Cruz. The main thing I was pushing for was a car with good miles per gallon and some kind of decent performance. The Mazda3 seemed to have that nailed, but I wasn't sure if I wanted to go with the new technology they used to achieve it. I decided to wait to see if it turns out to be reliable. The Elantra was looking better and better, but for the price, it turned out to be a bit more with the extras the dealer automatically ships it with (things not always mentioned in the base invoice price). In the end for the money, the Civic seemed like a hands down winner. Reliability is an absolute must, then value for the money and mpg are right up there. So far, the car handles great, is comfortable, and is fairly enjoyable to drive. The miles per gallon is a bit disappointing. When I do a lot of highway driving, I can't seem to get it beyond about 33 maybe 34. It was billed as bewteen 36 and 39 without the "eco" button. I've been driving with that button on since I got it, and the car is not living up to my hopes in that area. Otherwise, I'm happy with the purchase. I'm hoping there is something I need to learn to do to achieve 36+ mpg. If this area is not a deal breaker for you, then you'll be very happy with this car. Otherwise, you might want to look at other options. Cheers!

Well worth it

by Mr Scotty from Scottsdale, AZ on Fri Aug 29 2014

This is my second car to own, and among several I've driven. Thus far, I love it the most. The dashboard is an interesting departure for those used to analog gauges with the various digital displays and the LCD for radio and maintenance information. A downside may be the lack of an actual temperature gauge. However, knowing that the light would only come on during a problem makes this a minor issue. A good deal of road noise is transmitted, but this is easily drowned by the sound system. Handling is smooth and the car responds nicely. What stands out most for me is the fuel economy. Depending on how you drive it, the car can punch above it's weight. While it is rated at 39 mpg for the highway, I have thus far managed to get 42 mpg on a recent trip. This is comparable to hybrids of similar size. Despite the economic nature, the car does not lack power. Acceleration takes getting used to with the drive by wire system. You have to press the pedal a certain distance to achieve an ideal acceleration. This takes some practise. Otherwise, a very nice system. Braking is excellent too. Even during hard stops, it never feels as if I lose control of the car. Comfort could be improved upon, but otherwise it is a nice interior that is easy to clean. The paint may pick up scratches and chips easily, so be cautious with this. This is an affordable vehicle, even as a new car, and is well worth the price.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 27

Our Take on the 2012 Honda Civic

Sport-compact enthusiasts, I have some bad news: Make a sign, bang some drums, occupy the local auto mall.

The 2012 Honda Civic Si has gone soft.

The Honda Civic's performance version has been around since 1985, and the nameplate's ninth-generation redesign gets the largest Civic engine ever. While it scoots with newfound power and gets better gas mileage, the high-rev pizzazz and handling poise that gave the Si such unique appeal — even as its competitors got faster — are gone. The ninth-generation Honda Civic chose comfort over dynamics, and too much of that rubbed off on the Si.

This review details the Civic Si, which comes as a coupe or sedan with a six-speed... Read More