2008 Element

2008 Honda Element

2008 Honda Element

Have You Driven the 2008 Honda Element?

buying another one

by shadowboxing from Cincinnati on Sat Apr 17 2010

I had my EX since July 2006 and if some crazy woman had not decided to go North in the south bound lanes of I-71 I would still have it. It was a terrible wreck, 5 cars plus crazy woman, and I walked away with a sprained wrist. Alas, my element was not so fortunate....rest in peace. I am now looking for a used one, so we can pay off quickly. NO OTHER SUV in the same class COMES CLOSE TO THIS ONE...price, gas mileage, handling, power and storage are beyond any other suv I've seen. I am driving a rental suv, a Ford Edge, that doesn't store as much and has less leg room in the back seat area. Honda scored an A+ as far as I'm concerned.

Fantastic box

by Boxx is my name from Cleveland, OH on Sun Nov 21 2010

When you look at the Honda Element from the outside, you would think that it is smaller, by once you step inside. . . WOW it is very roomy. I am 6'2" and I fit like a toddler in the Honda Fit! The Element is very reliable and i bought mine used with around 36,000 miles on it and it is still like new! The interior is nice, when it gets dirty all ou have to do is wipe it down. But it could use some more storage compartments. I love what the exterior looks like! I love box shaped cars so the element is perfect for me. i think that i got a good deal for the price that i paid. i think that the inside is a touch boring but i just threw in some of my own touches like a stuffed mushroom plushie or some little novelty items to make it look vibrant. the comfort of the car is ok. I mean i took a 6 hour drive the other day and it was a bit uncomfortable, but not the worst. I was still happy when i finished my trip. Over all i give the Honda Element a 9.9/10!

Great Car--best small SUV

by Young Family Man from Ewing, NJ on Thu Feb 12 2009

I looked at every, and I mean every small SUV. I was hoping to move up from our Toyota Corrolla and get some more space especially considering that my wife and I have an infant and car seats are NOT small. The one thing I could not get over was that the majority of the small SUV's on the market (RAV 4, SATURN VUE, CRV, OUTLANDER) are not any bigger than a small sedan. Yes they have lift gates and sit higher--but the actual seats and leg room are not any bigger. So when I found the Element I was thrilled to see that it is actually really big inside (because it is a box afterall). The leg room and interior space is huge! The car seat fits in with tons of space to spare--and the way the seats fold up means that cargo space is not an issue. I also like that it has stability control, six airbags and a very nice interior (great fit and finish). Some may dislike the looks of the Element--but in its own way it is actually quite sporty. The gas mileage is my biggest complaint--the city mileage is not really that great (I see an average of 19). Otherwise--I love it!

excellent except

by keith stone from Massachusetts on Tue Jan 28 2014

most of what everyone says here is true. I have a 2008 lx. its excellent alone for its functionality. Another thumbs up I have to mention is its amazing ability to stay on the road in snow.. when it has good tires, the traction control system is amazing.. its reaction time is nothing like I have seen on any other car. the 2 problems I have are safety. 1:the front pillars create a dangerous bind spot in the front corners.. it took me a year before I noticed this.. mostly in slow speeds, navigating a parking lot.. someone can be walking at just the right pace and they fit inside this blind spot.. I have almost run a couple of people over already. 2: and by far the most annoying.. apparently a design flaw.. the rear brakes prematurely wear.. I have done 3 rear brake jobs and only once in the front.. that s WRONG.. I have also to replace a rear caliper and ironically i road tested a 2007 before I bought the 08 and that one had the right rear side brakes wiped out. it only had 11k miles on it.. I made honda pay me the 1st time and they really didn t put up a fight.. i expect they know about the problem.. I have heard from other people that they have not seen this problem but these experiences were from owners in a part of the country that did not get snow or cold weather.. regardless it shouldn t happen.. based on my experience it seems to me that the calipers are hanging up and keeping the pads against the rotor.

Does not recommend this car!!

Excellent and Versatile SUV

by 08 Element Owner from Iowa City, IA on Fri Apr 18 2008

Absolutely love my Element. I am through my third tank of gas and I am averaging 21 MPG with about 70% of my driving in town - AC not on. It is a very fun to drive vehicle and gets a lot of attention - curious people poke their head in and a lot of skepticism turns to envy once they view the inside. The heater gets very hot very quickly and it rides beautifully in cruise control. Took a drive on the interstate with some pretty good winds and surprisingly I didn't get muscled around like I thought I would. My previous vehicle was a mini-van (Chevy Venture) and it was brutal in the wind. I really love the view....lots of window space and sits up nicely with comfortable seats. Mine came with 90 days of XM radio and I think I will keep it - great selection of music and the sound system is excellent. Now, a few drawbacks. I don't like the location of the drink holders....they are all of the way on the floor so reaching down from the seat is further than I thought it would be and you almost have to take your eyes off the road. Next, no automatic lights in the car or daytime running lights? I owned an 04 w/ these and I thought it was mandated but it isn't. Also, if you leave the lights on in the car...the bell beeps but there's no shutoff so you have to worry about the battery running down. I already left them on once, but only for about an hour! I had to really dig to find negative but given the chance I would do it all again!

Best bang for the $$$$$

by Toaster on wheels :) from New York on Mon Jun 09 2008

I just purchased my 08 2wd EX Element and I am very pleased overall. The main reason I bought this vechicle is for my business. I needed alot of cargo space and I also wanted a vechile that would get at least 20 mpg. So far I have been averaging 22 mpg with both local and highway driving (local in alot of traffic). I am replacing a Chevy truck which I loved but it was killing me at the pump (averaging 13mpg) :( I think for the money it's a great buy there is a few things they could have done better with the Element. 1. Fuel Economy 2. No real armrest 3.Overall vision especially from windsheild cant see traffic lights 4. Blind spot when rear seats are folded up (I removed both) Besides those 4 issues it really is a very good car/suv. OH by the way the stock radio kicks with it's built in subwoofer.

Quirky and roomy.

by Random Guy from NW Indiana on Tue Jan 29 2008

I was hooked on the funky look from the first year of production, and after being a passenger in several Elements, I decided to get my own. I think it's a great value for the price especially with all the safety features standard, and while it doesn't offer as many options as some cars, I think you can find exactly what you want. Front and All-Wheel Drive, Manual and Automatic Trans, both a 5-spd with OD. The EX offers more bells and whistles, but I like my LX model just fine. Super-versatile, slightly offbeat, and quite fun to drive. Just pay attention on windy days, as the tall Element is going to catch the gusts more than, say a Civic.

Just Great!!!

by Dual Elements from Ohio on Sun Aug 02 2009

We enjoy the first Element (04 EX AWD) so much we just traded in our 4 dr. Accord on another one (08 SC). The styling and functionality is amazing. We have moved other people many times, loaded tons of stuff in it for delivers and pick ups and each time we are amazed about how much we can get into it (of course with the rear seats out). We can also get two adult bicycles in it with the rear seats out, which is great when you want to travel to bike trails. We have also been able to get three 4x8 sheets of plywood in the rear, of course at a angle with tailgate down. We have had furniture, doors, windows, woodand list could go on, in this SUV. Amazed each time and on the hunt continually of how much more we could get into it. These Elements are so much fun to drive. We hestitated in the fact of having two Elements at one time, but after some thought it was the most logical conclusion. We looked at many different autos to replace the Accord and decided to just wing it and go for two Elements at the same time. We love the way the little SUV handles and the gas mileage and especially the funtionality and versitility of the Element. When the 04 is ready to be replaced we know we will get another Element, thats how much fun they are. The only "draw back" is it is a four passenger vehicle, but it is a good down side if your not big into hauling a lot a people. The back seats are very comfortable and makes riding fun. We LOVE this little SUV. It is the mack daddy of fun and function. We hope the keep making them for a long time.

"A reliable, safe, and fun car to drive"

by Big Fish Guy from Ohio on Tue Jan 01 2008

My Honda Element is a really fun car to drive. The visability is great and it is so easy to manuver. Part of the reason we bought this car is because of all the safty features. It would be nice if this car got 30 miles to the gallon, so far the average gas milage is the only down side to the car.

AMAZING!

by Jenn from Cecilia, KY on Wed Feb 04 2015

I had a 2008 Honda Element EX. I bought her in Alaska and drove her through two winters. I then moved from Alaska back to my home state of Florida. With me, my mom, 2 dogs (80 and 100 lbs), my ferret (complete with his ENTIRE enclosure), and drove almost 6000 miles. She never failed or faltered. I bought her in 2011 and her until Feb 2015. She moved me from FL to KY when I got a new job and made numerous road trips throughout that time from Central KY to FL and back for a total of 3 trips. I kept synthetic oil in her and she was great for my dogs and our outdoorsy lifestyle. I loved the AWD and put 98,600 miles on her and never had to replace anything except for normal wear and tear. The only reason I traded her in was the gas mileage, I was lucky to get 21-23 mpg on the highway and I moved outside of town and my commute with spending that $$ in gas was getting ridiculous. My only other complaint is the console. I bring my dogs (a total of 4 now) whenever I can, we go to the dog park, pet stores, hiking, etc and I can't have a drink in the console without them puncturing it (a cup and lid obviously) and that was annoying. But she served her purpose and I will miss her but I decided to upgrade to the fuel efficient and spacious 2015 Honda Fit. :)

1 2 3 4 5

Our Take on the 2008 Honda Element

Honda's Element SUV has been an intriguing choice ever since it debuted in late 2002. Its nutty appeal hides what is a fairly basic car — no sleeper engine or luxury furnishings here. It's the Element's everyday usability that gives it a level of distinction: My test car offered a wealth of storage provisions, a versatile cargo area, comfortable accommodations and gas mileage in the low 20s.

The four-seat Element received a raft of changes last year (see a side-by-side comparison with the 2007 model), including updated styling and a beefier drivetrain. More important, it added new safety features like side curtain airbags and an electronic stability system — both sorely needed, and enough... Read More