2011 Tucson

2011 Hyundai Tucson

2011 Hyundai Tucson

4.2

Have you driven the 2011 Hyundai Tucson?

Great looks, decent value

by Car Guy from Houston, TX on Mon Jan 31 2011

I bought my Tucson Limited FWD a year ago in February, 2010. PROS: + Great looks + Attractive interior + Nice stereo + Bluetooth/Handsfree phone connectivity + Excellent iPod control + Hyundai air conditioners work great, even for my black Tucson in southeast Texas summers! + Outstanding legroom for front seat passengers (are you listening, Honda?) + Excellent handling for an SUV Cons: - Gas mileage FAR, FAR lower than Hyundai's promise of 22 city / 31 hwy - Ride is a little on the rough side, but supposedly the 2011 model has better shocks on the Limited - Too noisy with the roar of the tires. I ended up buying Dynamat to apply to the metal under the carpets and in the cargo area. Again, supposedly the 2011 models have improved in this area, but I have no reason to go verify this. Traded my 2007 V6 Sonata in February, 2010, for a new Tucson Limited (FWD). I was initially attracted by the exterior looks and design of the interior. The saddle colored leather seats look sharp and nicely contract to the dark interior. The leather feels nicer than in my 2007 Sonata. The stereo is great with CD, XM, iPod/USB, and Bluetooth audio features standard on the Limited. I wish I could have gotten the separate amp/subwoofer without having to buy the NAV, so I skipped both. My biggest disappointment is the POOR fuel economy. I do not drive at excessive speeds. Houston is very flat. Most of my commuting is freeway-based and yet I consistently average only 23-something MPG (based on actual calculations and not the trip computer's AVG MPG, though it tends to be accurate). Hyundai said 31 MPG HWY and I've never achieve that. The best I've ever gotten was about 27 MPG. Considering that part of my reason for trading the Sonata in was for the promised improved gas mileage, I am heavily disappointed in the gas mileage. I consistenly averaged over 27 MPG and sometimes over 28 MPG in my Sonata on the highway, and that was with a considerably more powerful V6. WTF?! My other disappointments are related to the noise levels inside the car and the slightly rough ride. The 2010 Tucson is far too noisy with tire roar being the predominant contributor. I ended up purchasing sound deadening material that sticks to the bare metail under the hood and to the floor of the car under the carpet and in the spare tire well. That has helped tremendously though it did set me back a few hundred dollars and the better part of a day doing the installation myself. All things considered, it would likely cost Hyundai far less than I spent in materials and labor to do this. Regarding the ride, it is seemingly harsh and smooth at the same time. I seem to feel every bump and crevice in any road, but it also handles major bumps and potholes with aplomb. My 2007 Sonata Limited was the opposite, with reasonable isolation from minor bumps and crevices in the road but harshness from larger bumps and potholes. Finally, the engine is a little underpowered for the vehicle. The 6-speed transmission is always hunting for a higher gear to maximize fuel economy (but it's attempts at doing so fail miserably). Thus, on the highway when driving over a small rise in the highway to make it over a cross-street, the transmission has to downshift to maintain the speed you are already cruising at. If the car had better performance at the expense of fuel economy, I might not be so critical. But unobtainable promised gas mileage AND a lethargical engine are a definite disappointment. Overall, I still love the car. I seriously considered a Chevy Equinox instead but chose the Hyundai because of my previous experience with Hyundai value and reliability. The Equinox was a little larger and definitely quieter, but it was going to cost several thousand $$ more to equip it to the same level as the less expensive Tucson. Rear passengers have good legroom but front seat passengers have outstanding legroom. My 6'6" tall partner has no trouget getting in/out of the car and can fully stretch his legs out.

Car sold itself!

by Not Kind to My Car from Boston, MA on Sat Nov 20 2010

I had previously owned a 2002 Santa Fe & loved it. When it was time for a new car, I definitely wanted another Hyundai. The new styling of the Tuscon was great! I loved that it had heated seats & lots of little extras that similar cars in that price range did not have. The fact that it is only 4-cylinder was a little bit of a turn-off, but I honestly don't even notice the difference. Got the AWD with "leatherette" interior. The leatherette has a funky smell at first (kind of like Payless shoe stores), but I was the only one who seemed bothered by it. All of my backseat passengers (adults) are amazed at the room they have.

Good vehicle

by Loving my Hyundai from Tulsa, OK on Tue Jul 05 2011

I love my new Tucson. This vehicle is a far cry from Hyundai's origins. I have the AWD version and it is a real trooper. 3 weeks after my purchase we had 15" of snow and the AWD trucked right through it. The engine is perky, but I wish they would offer a turbo version or a small V6. I am getting about 22-23 mpg in town and around 28 mpg on the highway. The comfort of the seats for me is great and all of the controls are nicely in reach. One complaint and it's my only complaint. Road noise. One thing that could use some improvement. All in all this is a great vehicle. Sporty feel with a compact SUV look. Love it!

Most updated car I've owned

by Groovy Gram from Texs on Mon Nov 07 2011

Love all the bells and whistles on my 2011 Hyundai Tucson Limited. GPS, Sirius Radio, Panorama Sunroof, backup camera, Bluetooth phone connection. It also gets great gas mileage. Traded in a 2007 Hyundai Tucson Limited. Wish the new one had the rear window lift up like the older one did. Also wish it had the compass on the rearview mirror again.

fantastic

by buster from Sauk rapids mn on Wed Aug 31 2011

I have had the suv for a year know.It has exceded my exspectations. I get27 to 28 in town and 30 to 32 on hwy. evan with a trailer. I get 28 to 29on hwy. in town no change 4x8 500#. I like every thing about it .My wife has an equnox.like mine better.Only probblem I have had was not spinning the tires when I first got it.Perfect for me lots of room. End last winter got me through all the whit stuff with no probblem. only front weel drive. don't need all weel.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

hadahonda

by djsdad from on Mon Apr 23 2012

My Tucson is great, it does everything well or better, the handling, is incredible considering the type of vehicle it is, like alot of the reviews say, straight line driving takes a fair amount of small adjustments because of the electronic power steering, but it becomes second nature after a while. I get an honest 32 miles per on the highway(trips of more than an hour) and about 20 around town. Performance is very good for a 4 banger, probably because of the 6 speed automatic, which is probably the best automatic I've driven. The interior is visually quite nice, and instruments are easily used and accessed. The four wheel drive, at times feels seamless, it's just there for you, and you can vary the type of 4 wheel that you need. Sadly, or not, I'm going to trade it in soon, and get a tucson w/ the turbo. I do wish Hyundai had some better colors for the Tucson.

Hyundai tuscon 2011

by Smurf from montgomery, alabama on Fri Sep 30 2011

This overall is a great car I have owned my 2011 hyundai tuscon for about 3 months now and I could not be any happier. I want to be the first to tell you that you get a great SUV for the Price, I have the limited with just about every feature you can think of and it is GREAT. I would reccomend this SUV to anybody and everybody, it is fun to drive and sporty also. Me and my family go on alot of trips and this may not look like it can do alot of off road but trust me it gets you to your destination, now im not saying its a 4x4 and to go running thew the mud.. but it will get you off road and you can have fun doing it. I also have to say the inside is so clean and smooth lined, i have nothing really bad to say about this Suv, the ride is like a high end car for half the price, looks are the same way you wont be dissapointed in this SUv. AAA+++

Hyundai is the most reliable car I've ever owned.

by hot wheels senior citizen from Norman, Oklahoma on Fri Sep 02 2011

the multiple features and creature comfort make the Hyundai a pleasure and fun to drive. I love the style of the car. Most of all, I appreciate the great fuel efficiency.

Price Right

by Mami from Dallas, Texas on Fri Jul 29 2011

I have owned this vehicle for 2 months and it seems good. the bumper guard broke off within a month of ownership, not covered by the warranty. I have to replaced it at $300 cost.

2011 tuson ltd

by sqweetpea from matteson il on Tue Oct 25 2011

so far reliable ,once a year oil changes is incredbile32 mpg hwy.is good the only thing i dont like is the small gas tank

1 2 3 4 5

Our Take on the 2011 Hyundai Tucson

Editor's note: This review was written in December 2009 about the 2010 Hyundai Tucson. Little of substance has changed with this year's model. To see what's new for 2011, click here, or check out a side-by-side comparison of the two model years.

Another year, another model from hard-charging Hyundai. This time it's the Tucson, a small crossover that impressed us upon its arrival for the 2005 model year. With its 2010 redesign, the Tucson has done some leapfrogging of its competition — it's fuel-efficient, stylish and high-rent — but it falls just short of a slam-dunk. This segment is packed with great choices, and the Tucson is light on utility. If your needs are light, though, it's certainly... Read More