2006 RX 400h

2006 Lexus RX 400h

2006 Lexus RX 400h

Have You Driven the 2006 Lexus RX 400h?

Comfortable, Fun, Spacious and Stylish Hybrid SUV

by Wanted a Hybrid SUV from Los Angeles, California on Tue Jun 15 2010

Within a year of purchasing a new sedan in '03, I realized I had made a mistake. There were instances when the trunk was too small and a hatch was required for my needs. Then the price of oil skyrocketed. Not only did I need a hatch, but now I wanted a hybrid. In 2006, Lexus introduced the RX400h. At the time it came out, it went for the low $50Ks. I once rode in one as a livery vehicle and loved it, but it was too pricey for me. Over the next few years, I looked at other models of SUVs and/or hybrids. As it turned out, the RX400h was now in my price range as a certified, pre-owned vehicle. Three months ago, I bought one. What I liked about the 2006 vs. newer models was that premium gas is not required. I was told by the dealership that if I use premium, I would get better mileage. My own experiment disproved that statement. Actual overall MPG is around 24/26. This car LOVES traffic jams, sometimes hitting almost 40 MPG. The included fuel consumption computer tends to be off by a couple of ticks, displaying better than actual mileage. Comfortable and stylish, the interior is like a nice living room. The ride is extremely smooth. When you need that extra pick up to kick in quickly, it's more responsive than most cars I've driven. Also, when the doors and windows are shut, it is extremely quiet. The stereo system is good, but there are several options for speaker configurations. I have difficulty finding one that is useful for all genres of music. Lexus offers a Mark Levinson sound system as an option, which probably addresses that issue. My vehicle went for a lower than market value price, only to find out that there were alignment issues, as well as its sitting at the dealership for over a year, reason unknown. Last week I had to replace the 12V battery, something I thought they would have identified in their pre-owned certification process. I had several problems starting the car, but the new battery has solved the problem. Lexus prides itself on its service and I can see why. They have been attentive and helpful. The alignment issue has been resolved, the car has now been looked over by one of its best mechanics and they have been kind enough to provide loaner vehicles each time I took it in for service. Newer models have better and more flexible navigation features, as well as better MPG stats and iPod/iPhone compatibility. But the difference in price is not something I am willing to pay. For the same price, I could have bought a new, more utilitarian Hybrid SUV by other manufacturers, but would have sacrificed the extra cargo space, service, style, comfort and features of the RX400h, along with the brand reputation Lexus offers. Every time I get in the car, I know I'm in for another pleasurable driving experience. It was worth the wait.

Lexus hybrid SUV is a great car

by Friend of the Earth from Austin, TX on Mon Dec 10 2012

I have owned a 2006 Lexus hybrid SUV, RX400h since purchasing it new in 2006. I have had no problems at all, except having to change the battery and the tires. It is smooth, fast, reliable and efficient! It is great to not burn gas sitting at a stoplight since the engine shuts off when it is not needed. Overall I get 25-26 mpg in the city. And I have hauled everything in it, from camping gear for weeklong trips to 2 tons of stone for backyard projects.

2006 Lexus RX400H

by vpang from Fort Worth TX on Fri Dec 10 2010

I bought this vehicle in march of 2010. It had 30,025 and I bought it certified used. The car is very nice. I average anywhere between 23-27 mpg using regular fuel. The navigation system is comletely outdated. I bought the 2010 update for it and it is about 3 years behind. The street that I live on isn't even on the map. The ride is very comfortable, blue tooth works well with cell phone, quiet ride, rear backup camera is nice, touch screen with navigation looks pretty cool. The Lexus dealerships that I have gone to have helped me out and have been very helpful and extremely polite. I felt the service was great. For about 30k, I was looking at several vehicles including the GTI, RAV4, Crosstour, Venza, and Prius and felt this was the best value of any of the vehicles. Overall, great vehicle and I plan on keeping for a very long time.

Next Generation Vehicle

by Canada1 from Calgary, AB on Sun Apr 12 2009

My wife bought a 2006 and it gets approximately 30mpg (our gallon is larger than USA). I sold my Acura MDX which was averaging 17mpg to purchase a 2007. No regrets, it is almost as quick as our Porsche and quiet, WOW! With winters that dip down to -50, they always start with the first turn of the key. Once you drive one of these, you won't go back to the old technology which I now consider to be a dinosaur. Does your SUV get 30 mpg in city driving? NOT!

Worth money spend

by care free from Lawrenceville Georgia on Tue Nov 03 2015

I bought it @85000miles now @140000,no problem.Oil change brakes pad change.nothing much. is good buy ..keep going...2006 model in 2015.runs like new.looks like new.

Great Hybrid SUV!

by Car Guy from Albuquerque, NM on Fri Jun 08 2012

We love our Lexus RX 400h! The nav works great and we especially like the easy-to-use touch screen! The power lift gate is very useful when our hands our full and the LED tail lights make the car look very nice. The xenon headlights that swivel around corners make it a lot easier to see at night and the overall styling is very unique. We only see a few of these around town and I'm sure you would be the only one in your neighborhood with one if you bought one! We average 27 highway/ 30 city so if you are worried about getting bad gas mileage there is no need to worry.

The best ever

by Lizzy from Georgia on Thu Jul 28 2016

Other than my jaguar which is a totally different type of car this is my favorite car ever!!! It is fun to drive, versatile and low maintenance with plenty of pick up. Shop the price hard there is a wide range of price out there on the same vehicle!

AWESOME AUTOMOBILE!

by Reverend from Texas on Mon Oct 27 2014

We hardly ever have to buy Nasty Gasoline! We have had this car for years and it has been problem FREE! We love it! We love it's Looks! We just wish there were More Lexus Dealers!!

Luxury at it's best

by Impressive ride from Colorado on Wed Aug 25 2010

This is the best luxury SUV I've owned. The seamless transmission with the Hybrid combo surprised me how fast it maneuvers. I have had no issues at all with this SUV and it is a steal on the resale market because it is a Lexus and will run forever.

Buyer beware

by Wesley 47 from Indiana on Sat Mar 24 2018

When it's time for a new vehicle, we will usually buy a used model at a low price to test if it will be reliable,fits well, and is a pleasure to drive. The RX met all those needs except reliability. After about a year the rear hatch seal leaked and allowed water in to the hybrid area under the rear seat. The water shorted out the synchronization board for the hybrid battery. We were happy that the battery survived. The boad was $1200 to replace and then we still had to have the rear lift gate sealed. Lexus knows of this problem, they put out a service bulletin in 2007-2009 for this exact problem, but refused to help in any way. Surprisingly the customer service person was very rude about the whole situation. I could of accepted the hybrid battery dying as old as it is, but the whole seal leak problem and they were fully aware and did little to nothing is inexcusable. Avoid the hybrid and you will probably be fine.

Does not recommend this car!!

1 2 3 4 5 6