2017 CX-5

2017 Mazda CX-5

2017 Mazda CX-5

Have You Driven the 2017 Mazda CX-5?

It's incredibly fantastic!

by John S. from Columbia, MO on Thu Jun 29 2017

After tons of research I chose the 2017 CX-5 GT and could not be happier. The obvious competitor is the new CR-V and I actually waited for the new Tiguan as I also currently own a 2015 Passat. Skipping through all the gritty details, if you buy a CX-5 you will be giving up interior room. The backseat is comfortable but not nearly as spacious as the Tiguan & CR-V and the same can be said for the cargo area. Mazda cannot compete here, it's simply a smaller car. Fuel mileage is good but not as good as the CR-V, so something to keep in mind as the real driving reports say the difference is about 3mpg on average. However where the CX-5 shines is it's exterior design and interior quality. Both the CR-V and Tiguan are bland to me whereas the CX-5 is gorgeous and luxurious. As a Realtor and essentially having a mobile office this is what resonated with me. It's beautiful without screaming "he's making too much money" like a BMW, Audi or Mercedes. I chose the white and it makes for a clean and classic look with the chrome and black accents while the white and black contrasting interior makes for a eye-catching entrance that neither the CR-V or Tiguan can claim. It's sporty yet functional rather than the everyday blah personality of the CR-V or the "mini" minivan look of the Tiguan. It's strikes a perfect balance for me and many others as you can see how highly satisfying this car is based on the reviews. One last note, it's exceptionally quiet which has been one of the most gratifying aspects of the car. Go drive one, I think you will be very impressed you can get THIS type of car for $33K!

An excellent small SUV

by Manicotti_legs from Massapequa, NY on Fri Sep 15 2017

I bought this car new after owning a 2007 and a 2012 Chevrolet Equinox. When I was shopping, I first looked at the Honda CR-V and thought I was sold until I tried the CX-5. The difference between the CX-5, the equinox, and the CR-V is night and day. The CX-5 drives extremely smooth and quiet, has a very nicely styled interior, especially considering its price range, and is actually fun to drive, something I never thought possible with a small SUV. I'd definitely recommend the CX-5 to anyone looking for a small SUV that has all of the benefits of an SUV but that drives like a car.

Zoom Zoom!

by Momo from Providence on Sat May 13 2017

My CX-5 is the PERFECT blend of utility, efficiency, and sporty driving dynamics! It doesn't SUCK with a (pricey) CVT transmission like some other compact/crossover SUV like the Nissan Rogue, Honda CR-V and Subaru Forester. The drive is still smooth, quiet and the mpg is good even without the CVT trans. In terms of the driving experience only the Ford Escape and Hyundai Tuscon in the higher trims (Ecoboost turbos) was a competitive threat to the Mazda. That said, the exterior and interior styling of the Mazda won us over. The little things like the passenger doors opening all the way and the backseats having USB charging stations and cubby space for the phone/accessories with the middle console folding down individually (perfect for lodging our snowboards without losing passenger space). So we got the Soul Red Crystal in the touring model with the i-activsense package which is the less popular of the two premium packages available for the touring model (which is why the dealer gave us a good deal). Unlike the Ford and the Tuscon, there is no Apple or Android play as of right now. I don't care about XM radio (which yes is only available in the Grand Touring) but that shouldn't be a deal breaker. The special paint is an extra $600 but OMG it's worth every penny!

Great technology

by tdg119 from Northampton, PA on Wed May 03 2017

I drove 300 miles, all highway, and never had to touch the gas or brake. Cruise control with distance recognition is the best thing ever! All of the bells and whistles are worth it, and a great value for the money. Pros: Technology (all of it!), space (more than I thought I'd have), full leather interior, good acceleration. Cons: tires (run flat) a bit noisy, seats could be a bit more comfortable, and the radio controls could be a bit more intuitive. All in all, I love my new car :)

Far better then past CX5 models

by Mazdafan from Columbus, OH on Fri Apr 28 2017

The 2017 CX5 Touring is such a pleasure to drive. Compared to the 2014/2016/2016.5 models, the ride is so much smoother both on the highway and around town, the seats are more comfortable, the cabin is so much quieter and the body is eye catching. The standard features in the Touring model rival many other brands in this CUV class as well as luxury models. The attention to detail in the new design, ride, cabin and comfort are to be commended.

Never Have Been So Enthusiastic!

by Irish from Buffalo on Sat Jul 15 2017

I have never been so enthusiastic about a new car in my life and I'm a Senior! I selected the Grand Touring Trim fully loaded with red exterior and black leather interior. The features are phenomenal; particularly the projected display on the windshield which monitors your speed, cars in front and/or behind you, and the blindspot. The interior is accuratelly described as elegant with a slight "sporty" feel to it. The steering is perfect! The ride both on the highway and city traffic is extremely comfortable with perfect handling. I've never received so many compliments on the look of a car-kudos to Mazda designers. I couldn't be more satisfied!

Motor Trend was right

by Crustyok from Owasso, OK on Thu Dec 07 2017

We purchased this little jewel based upon Motor Trend's compo between it and the Honda CRV. We owned a CRV a couple of cars back. It was OK but just not our thing. Realizing that Honda had made improvements it would have been our second choice. Styling and interior quality made the difference. The CX-5 seemed somewhat more quiet and the interior materials and layout seemed to belong in a much more expensive ride. A V6 option would be nice, although the 6-spd tranny helps to make up some of the power shortage. Like all Mazdas, it is fun to drive and very predictable. The turning radius is crazy tight. It seems to be at home in a parking lot or on a highway. The only real negative I have is the GPS. Having a Garmin, the Tom-Tom from the factory is second rate.

Motor Trend was right

by Crustyok from Owasso, OK on Thu Dec 07 2017

Feels like a Mercedes!!

by jimmyF1 from Los Angeles on Mon Jul 24 2017

The Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring is an amazing SUV. Exterior is Deep Crystal Blue Mica with Black Interior. It's comfortable, sporting, has power, the interior looks like it's more of a Mercedes. The car handles very well on all types of streets, highways and in the corners. I love the whole Navigation set-up, everything is in front of you so you don't have to look down. The safety features that come with the Grand Touring are all 5 Star Features. And the Bose Entertainment System is to die for. I really feel Mazda got it right with the CX-5 and I really feel It's in the same class as the BMW or a Mercedes SUV but yet for 1/2 the price. As for Performance, this SUV has power and I love the 6 speed auto transmission as I at times just love to shift through the gears. I'm giving a 4 star rating on the Performance only because I fee the gas milage should of been better. I'm not sure if it eats up gas or the gas tank is smaller than my Rav4 was, but I seem to be putting gas in it more often.

Love my new CX-5!

by Gran from Burlington, NC on Thu Aug 31 2017

When I downsized my car I was worried that I wouldn't have the comfort or power I had in my CX-9! I was really wrong! The CX-5 has plenty of power, is very comfortable and I love the ease of having the smaller size. It's a great car!

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 24

Our Take on the 2017 Mazda CX-5

The verdict:

The redesigned 2017 Mazda CX-5 fixes several of the problems that plagued the previous version — offering a smoother ride, quiet cabin and a much improved backseat — while remaining fun to drive.

Versus the competition:

Though the CX-5 is more stylish and offers a superior driving experience, its cargo room is at the lower end of the class and its multimedia system needs an upgrade.

While Mazda's vehicles are among the most fun to drive, they can fall behind in other areas. In the case of the previous generation of the CX-5, that was the case with ride quality, family-friendliness and multimedia technology. With the redesigned 2017 CX-5, Mazda has directly addressed two of those issues, and the third has a potential solution looming on the horizon.

Don't think of the redesigned 2017 Mazda CX-5 as a completely new model. It's more of an iterative evolution, like an iPhone 6 to a 6S, not a 7. That doesn't mean there aren't useful changes baked in, but the core of the new CX-5, including the powertrain, remains intact. Compare the 2017 CX-5 with last year's... Read More