2016 Mazda CX-9 consumer reviews

side view of 2016 CX-9 Mazda
Explore the 2016 Mazda CX-9
Shop the 2016 Mazda CX-9

Best three row SUV under 50k

Exterior design falls into the love it or hate it category. Personally, I think that majority of auto manufacturers, including almost all American, have got their heads deep in the wrong place when it comes to design. And it only seems to be getting worse. I love what is Mazda doing these days thogh, and unlike Koreans they did not cheap out on the inside. Ergonomically, cx9 is great with little things such as vent designed to blow toward the door handle so it stays warm in the winter. Hvac contrilols are a bit too low, but the the system is designed with set it and forget it mentality. Handling is great for the size, stable in turns. I had to get used to the sound of the turbo, this being my first, but I love both the power delivery and the sound now. Overall, back in 2016 and still now in 2017 I do not see a better three row SUV for the money.

Great riding Crossover

My last car was a 2011 C300 4Matic. This Cx9 feels like it is faster than my Benz was. The ride is also a million times better. The fit and finish rivals any luxury vehicle on the market.

From Porsche to Mazda (Seriously)

I'm a car enthusiast turned father and needed a comfortable, reliable SUV for long commutes. I researched this vehicle to death. I have a 2015 Porsche Cayenne, which is an excellent vehicle. I wanted something that was fun but also reliable and headache free-and didn't drain my checkbook with each service bill. After reading the stellar reviews from Car and Driver, I decided to take a look at the redesigned Mazda CX-9. The exterior design took a few takes for it to grow on me, but then I started to really dig it. It's stylish, aggressive and shark-like. I love the long hood and LED lights in the grille. The doors open wide and allow for easy access for child car seats (unlike most SUVs of this size). The interior is what brings this car into the luxury realm, especially in Signature trim (a worthy upgrade). Sitting in the cockpit, you wouldn't know that you weren't inside an Audi if it weren't for the badge on the steering wheel. The handling is superb. It's not a Porsche, but it's as close as you can get for the money. It has almost no body roll in the corners and feels solid and sure-footed in any weather. Plus, it is a hoot to drive, especially with sport mode engaged. I thought I'd address a few areas that others have complained about. 1. The third row. If you use a third row often then get a Suburban or minivan. I keep it folded down and this provides a ton of room in the cargo area. 2. The AC. I was worried about the reports of weak AC being hot natured, but it works perfectly fine. 3. Infotainment. Forget that this doesn't have Apple Car Play. It does the same thing but just doesn't mimic the screen on your phone. Bluetooth streams perfectly and quickly plays music from your smart phone. The voice activated function works well unlike most cars. The overall infotainment interface is excellent. It's intuitive and precise. I mainly use the rotary knob on the center console, but it also operates as a touch screen. This, along with the heads-up display, means you never have to take your eyes off the road. 4. The sunroof. Who cares that the sunroof is small? How often do you really use one? Had a panoramic roof on the Cayenne and the sun baked the interior. 5. Gas mileage. The gas mileage could be a little better, but who cares, it's fun!

Machine Gray Signature

Best SUV in its class hands down, on par with some of luxury models in the likes of Audi Volvo BMW and Benz for considerably less cost.

Updated review on winter performance.

I drove this thing on the snow during a blizzard with regular all season tires, and I mean is this thing awesome or what ! I was able to control the power to the engine by switching gear shift to manual from automatic, and it is so easy even someone without manual experience can do it. Never a single time did it fish tail or experience wheel spin, and ive seen new Nissans Muranos and Ford explorers in the ditch and stuck in snow, this one is a real champ ! Ride is super smooth and almost no cabin noise, you just sit back on heated seats, play the music on bose audio and enjoy the view, feelt confident like a pilot in a cockpit #littlethingsthatmatter.

Best car we've ever owned.

CX9 Signature, is an excellent car as compared to the others in its category. It drives small and its direct and precise handling is what differs it from the competition.

love cx9

I had mazda 3 sport for 4 years. I bought it at 47000 miles. I put about 55000 miles in 2 and half year. no single piece went wrong. just change the breaks , tires, sparking plug regular maintenance. now I switch to cx9 signature. I love the out looking. I am happy with everything.

Amazing Car

I never thought about buying a Mazda but I glad I did. The CX-9 is stylish and loaded with all the goodies

Don't need a family for this 3rd rower

Single man here and I love this thing. One of very few 3 row SUV's that are cool to own and don't make you feel weird not having kids. Ultimately if you have a growing family it might not be the most practical, but if you want a good looking SUV that makes you proud to pull up in anywhere you go, this is perfect. To me this has the appeal and coolness factor that you'd find in a Grand Cherokee or Range Rover. 2016 CX-9 GT AWD Great power delivery, no turbo lag. Very high quality materials Excellent fit and finish Averaging about 21 mpg in town and 27-29 mpg on the highway over 300 miles Extremely quiet ride THIS THING IS GORGEOUS, and not just for an SUV

CX-9 GT - Fun to drive

Leased a Grand touring 3 weeks ago for my wife and so far very happy with it. Have already taken it on a 250 miles road trip - doing 80mph, the CX-9 averaged 23mpg. I'm 6'3" and find it very comfortable. I looked at Lexus RX, Cadillac XT5, Toyota Highlander, Audi Q5, and Nissan Murano. RX, XT5, and Q5 were out of price range for a similar optioned vehicle. Came close to getting the Murano but ended up with the CX-9. Our kids are older now so we didn't need 3rd row seat but preferred the style and ride of the CX-9. The GT has great options and is fun to drive. The heads-up display is not only cool but also very useful. Once you setup favorites, infotainment (which other users have complained about) is easy to use. The torque on the CX-9 is awesome and the 4 cylinder does not feel under-powered. The engine is more than adequate for normal city/highway driving. Once we hit Texas summer, AC output could be an issue, will just have to wait and see.