The CL-Class is the two-door equivalent of the German automaker's high-end S-Class sedan. The CL-Class competes with the Bentley Continental GT and BMW M6. It gains a few new options for 2010, including an attention-assist system and other tech features designed to assist the driver.
New for 2010
There's a 100th Anniversary Edition of Mercedes-Benz model available, along with new driver-assistance technology.
Bulges around the wheels, a sculpted ridge along the lower sill and a subtle body-side crease distinguish the CL. The body measures a whopping 199.4 inches in length, making it as long as most full-size SUVs. The Continental GT and M6 are considerably shorter.
- Dual stainless steel exhaust with chrome tailpipe finish
- Standard power moonroof
- Bi-xenon headlights include washers
- AMG Sport Package with front/rear aprons, side skirts and 20-inch wheels
- New 18-inch, five-spoke wheels on CL600
- 100th Anniversary Edition includes exclusive paint and AMG Sport Package
CL-Class coupes accommodate up to four occupants and have bucket-like rear seats. With 104.2 cubic feet of passenger volume, the CL-Class is nearly as large on the inside as the S-Class sedan, and it's far roomier than the M6 or Continental GT.
- Heated front seats
- Power-closing trunklid
- Comand control system
- Burl walnut wood trim
- Enhanced head unit with Bluetooth, USB and SD card inputs, 4GB hard drive, HD radio and Zagat information
- Backseat DVD entertainment system available
- 100th Anniversary Edition includes premium leather and piano-black lacquer trim
Under the Hood
Typical of Mercedes-Benz, the CL-Class maintains a rich powertrain selection for 2010.
- CL550 has 382-horsepower, 5.5-liter V-8 with 391 pounds-feet of torque
- CL600 has 510-hp, twin-turbo 5.5-liter V-12 with 612 pounds-feet of torque
- CL63 AMG has 518-hp, 6.2-liter V-8 with 465 pounds-feet of torque
- CL65 AMG has 604-hp, twin-turbo 6.0-liter V-12 with 738 pounds-feet of torque
- Five- or seven-speed automatic transmission
- 4Matic all-wheel drive available
- Self-leveling suspension system standard
- Parking Guidance, which assists in parallel-parking maneuvers, is optional with adaptive cruise control
Safety features include:
- Side-impact airbags for both rows of seats
- Side curtain airbags
- Antilock brakes
- Electronic stability system
- Automated collision-mitigation braking system that prepares car for impending impact
- Optional adaptive cruise control adjusts speed automatically to maintain a preset distance behind the vehicle ahead
- Optional blind-spot warning system available with adaptive cruise control
- Standard Attention Assist system notifies drivers when they need a break, based on behavioral changes
- New Night View Assist includes pedestrian detection