For 2010, the R350 and diesel R350 (formerly R320) continue with some changes, most notably the addition of Mercedes’ Post-Safe system, which unlocks the doors and shuts off the engine and fuel system after an accident. The R350 diesel is powered by a Bluetec turbo-diesel V-6 that produces 210 horsepower and 400 pounds-feet of torque.
Both R350s seat six standard, but can be equipped to seat seven. The Lexus RX and Cadillac SRX are among the R-Class’ competitors.
For 2010, the Mercedes-Benz R-Class gets a standard Post-Safe system.
Rounded and squat at the rear, the unibody R-Class wagon flaunts a relatively lengthy profile, at 203 inches long. The R-Class is 8 inches longer than the Cadillac SRX and almost 17 inches longer than the Lexus RX. As for height, the R-Class stands about 2.5 inches lower than the Cadillac and about half an inch below the RX’s roofline. All R-Class models have 18-inch wheels. Dealer-installed roof rails and a new Class II trailer hitch are available.
- Standard 18-inch wheels
- Standard 19-inch wheels on R350 diesel
- Power liftgate optional
- Standard privacy glass
The R-Class provides space for up to seven occupants courtesy of three rows of seats. The seats have leather inserts.
A conventional glass panel sunroof is standard, and a double-sized panoramic unit with a 5-foot, 7-inch glass panel is optional. When the panoramic sunroof opens, half the panel moves atop the other, so headroom isn’t affected. Powered roller blinds cover the roof to protect occupants from the sun.
- Available multimedia system with advanced audio and video features
- Optional navigation system
- Optional rear-seat entertainment system
- Available HD radio and Sirius Real-Time Traffic
- Brown bird’s-eye maple wood trim for doors, dashboard and center console
The R-Class’ fully independent suspension uses double wishbones up front and a four-link setup in back. A load-leveling rear air suspension is standard.
- R350’s 3.5-liter V-6 develops 268 hp and 258 pounds-feet of torque
- R350 Bluetec turbo-diesel V-6 produces 210 hp and 400 pounds-feet of torque
- Seven-speed automatic transmission can skip as many as three gear ratios during downshifts to get the transmission in the proper gear
- Three driver-selectable suspension modes: Normal, Comfort and Sport
- Collision-mitigation system standard
- Side curtain airbags for all three rows of seat
- Door-mounted side-impact airbags for front occupants
- Rollover sensor can activate seat belt pretensioners and side curtain airbags
- Antilock brakes and stability system are standard
- Post-Safe system unlocks doors and shuts down engine and fuel system after an accident