2009 Subaru Forester consumer reviews

$19,995–$24,095 MSRP range
side view of 2009 Forester Subaru
Explore the 2009 Subaru Forester
Shop the 2009 Subaru Forester

Great, comfortable ride. Feels solid, handles well

Great family vehicle, roomy for work or gear. Precise handling. Not a lot of road noise, and comfortable seats. Love it.

4.0

Very reliable

Good safe and reliable vehicle for a new driver has ample. Horsepower and options. Good vehicle to drive during inclement weather conditions

3.9

Exatly what we need.

The Forester is ugly. That is the worst part. It is peppy, but not fast. Really roomy inside. Subaru's are very reliable. I appreciate the simplicity of the layout. I am not an airplane pilot, I just want to turn on the heat or AC and turn down the radio. All that other stuff seems a bit much. The Forester provides excellent ergonomics.

All Weather Champ

In the 6 years I've owned this SUV, it has been very reliable, economical and capable. I drive in mountain terrain in the winter and encounter deep snow, heavy rain, and muddy roads. The Forester conquers all of these without breaking a sweat. In addition, as a daily driver, it's comfortable and convenient with enough interior room to haul most anything I need to.

Feel safe and comfortable.

Very helpful from 2003 with my 2004 Forester through my now 2009 Forester. Several friends have bought one also.

3.9

Long Term Test: 2009 Subaru Forester

On paper, the stats of the 2009 Subaru Forester is far from impressive. A 2.5L Flat Four-cylinder engine that manages to pump out 170 hp and stretch a 0-60 time to 9.7 secs. But almost ten years and over 130,000 miles later, it is evident that this Subaru was not meant for speed but consistent reliability with surprising capabilities. Start off with the design. Subaru hit this generation of Forester design on the head so well that almost 8 years and 2 cycles later, the design has barely changed. The major changes seem to be seen in the headlights and tail lights. The previous generation was short and wagon-ey, but this Forester almost started the movement for tall wagons with flat fours although turbos are more mainstream now. The major winning point for this car is the symmetrical AWD system in that it doesn't fail in its simplicity. It just works, whether is going over parking lot curbs or off-road trails with gravel and mud, the wheels just manage to turn and move the car along. And nothing breaks, but if it did, it was not a major problem. This car just hummed along for the last 130,000 miles with regular petrol, regular oil changes, and regular brake pads and tires. The only major service that needed to be done was a re-tuning of the engine- courtesy of Subaru due to a recall and a failing catalyst converter that seems to have failed for many other owners online. The replacement costs ranged from $600-1200 but considering other competitor's reliability, this cost must be setting some type of record. The Forester falls short in cabin noise and speakers. The speakers are bad. Without the volume on above 3/4 of the maximum, noise from speakers is barely above a whisper. And ride noise from the wind at high speeds and wheels is pretty high. These two combinations take away from date night, but not much from adventure days. The seats and knobs almost seem like they are meant to get dirty and easily wipeable with durability. This Forester feels like it can keep going like this forever and hitting 200k miles seems like it is only a matter of time and not parts and money.

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5 X limited review

I bought this car recently, a pre-owned one. It drives very well. Smooth and stable on highway over 80 miles per hour. With an back view camera region embeded in interior rear view mirror activated at "R" mode. This is very helpful for my wife. Big sunroof, very nice in good wheher. Powered adjustment of driver's seat front-back and up-down. Heated seats. The only downside for me is that it does not have bluetooth. However, I don't answer phone call when I am driving. So, this is not a big deal to me. 20 MPG in city is not that good, some times it's even lower.

4.3

Fantastic car for daily driving or road tripping!

I love my forester! This is a great car with surprisinglyrics large interior. We use this car mainly as a daily driver but also took it on a 3000+ mile road trip through several national parks. We have never had any serious issues with this car. The car handles great and has a fantastic turning radius which is very nice! My only complaint is the power but I only have the 4 Cylinder (which is great on gas milege!)

Highly reliable and driveable.

No reason to be sorry for my decision to purchase this vehicle. My Forester is peppy, economical and safe still at 102K miles.

3.7

Nearly perfect

Owned several Jeeps prior to settling on this Subaru. The Forester has great ground clearance, even though you sit down into it like a car. It handles snow with ease, and I'd opt for it 10 times out of 10 over a Jeep for questionable road conditions. Fuel economy is great. I get about 28-31 mpg on highway trips. My next vehicle will more than likely be a Subaru.