NEW
Take our quiz & meet the car you’ll love.
2012 Forester

2012 Subaru Forester

2012 Subaru Forester

4.2

4 out of 5 stars Interior Design

Have You Driven the 2012 Subaru Forester?

Excellent!

by NewSoob from Connecticut on Thu Apr 19 2012

This is my first Subaru, and I am sold on the brand. The vehicle rides smooth, and handles bad weather like a champ. We had a few inches of snow here in CT this winter(Which isn't much!), and while everyone else was sliding all over the road, I was solidly in place, driving up steep hills and stopping and going with no problems. The interior is alright- a previous poster stated that the seats were terrible, and I can definitely say that is NOT the case. I am 6'2" and weigh 180 pounds, and the seat is just fine for me. I think maybe there is a difference in the 2011 to the 2012 seats? Not sure, but it is definitely comfortable for me. That poster also talked about the radio- they are about right on that mark. The stereo is weak compared to others. It will play a CD or MP3 player decently, but switch to the radio and you have the weakest sound I have heard in a vehicle in a long time. I will definitely be replacing the head unit. The all-weather package is a must, too. Love the heated seats and heated mirrors. The gas mileage is alright- I drive about half high way and half city, and I am averaging 24 mpg, which is what I expected. The visibility is amazing. The engine is pretty responsive- not the most punchy car, but enough to get around a truck on the highway or get up to speed on an on ramp. Overall, an amazing car. Best vehicle purchase I've ever made.

Forester 2012.

by Sportsman from Milford. Mi. on Mon Jan 16 2012

Great vehicle for the $$ great in the snow and just enough room for packages. The dealer added 2 year free maintenence.

Champaign Car on a Beer Budget!

by Forester Fan from Dallas/Ft. Worth on Mon Feb 20 2012

Luxury car features at a much lower price. Has rear view video monitor, wonderful sound system, leather interior, great ride, & I have had success in having the Bluetooth hands-free work flawlessly. It holds the road like it has claws. Very short turning radius - can zip into any parking place at the last minute. Dual-side Heater/AC works great. Instrument panel is logical and has bright display (but is dimmable if needed). Has surprisingly good storage with the seats down (Automatically!) I have had it a month, and I like this vehicle.

GREAT CAR

by Subbieluver from Palmetto Fl on Mon Apr 02 2012

This is the best car I've ever owned.yes,it's new,but my last car(Honda element) did not impress me nearly as much at 3 months. Handles beautifully,comfortable,roomy...an awesome sized moon roof,plenty of room in the rear and a decent ride for a car this size.So glad I bought this over a Rav4 or Tucson. overall a great product.

My 5th Subaru

by jmemcse517 from Steamboat Springs, CO on Mon Apr 09 2012

Where I live AWD is not an option ’ 7000 ft. altitude in Northwest Colorado, USA. That, and the great reliability I’ve always enjoyed with Subaru are two of the reasons I purchased the 2012 Forester. I had been buying Outback’s, but went with the Forester this time because: it is a little higher off the ground, better visibility, easier to get in and out of, less snow jamming in the wheel wells. Although I didn’t buy it for outstanding gas mileage, I am happy nonetheless with what I am getting ’ 24 MPG mixed use, and 28 MPG on the highway. If I’m really carful and keep it under 65 MPH I can get 32 MPG on the highway. I think people who get less than 20 MPG with this vehicle must have a ’lead foot’. My wife, 11 year old, and I just took a 600 mile road trip and all of us found the comfort level perfectly acceptable ’ including the seats. I think if you’re around average height you’ll find the seats comfortable too. The Forester is certainly not as quiet as my dad’s Cadillac, but I didn’t buy it for a quiet ride. I will change to Goodyear winter tires this fall and leave them on year-round. Other than that I will just drive this Forester for 2 years in hopes that a 4th generation debuts in 2014 with a 6 speed automatic transmission.

A little disappointed with mileage

by SSM from Chicago, IL on Tue Mar 13 2012

Very comfortable, sytlish. Love the panoramic moon roof as well as the audio options (CD, USD, Bluetooth, hands free phone). Nice speakers. Good headroom, legspace. Not a lot of cargo space. Mileage has been about 21mpg (i have about 70% city, 30% HWAY mix) so was expecting better performance. Overall satisfied, except for the mileage. My 03' Corolla probably spoilt me (30mpg City/40 mpg/Hway).

best visibility of any similar car

by sense-ible driver from Bloomfield, MI on Thu Aug 23 2012

I was disappointed in the newer small SUV's on the market because they all sacrificed visibility for style. All the Lexus wannabes have a sloped roof and the larger rear pillars (as well as those high headrests in the front and back seats) which make for large blind spots. I found it difficult to safely change lanes for lack of a clear view. I was actually amused that Mazda recognized the problem, but instead of redesigning the car to solve the problem, they added a blind spot sensor and alarm on the side mirror to let you know someone is there, even if you can't see him. The sloped roof also cuts the distance you can see behind your car. My Forester has virtually no blind spots! Also the hatch back area with the higher roof makes an adequate space for my 2 dogs to ride so I don't have dog hair all over my car seats. And the car doesn't look like all the others. A plus!

Best value for the $$$

by Boulderite from Thornton, CO on Thu Jul 26 2012

2.5X auto for $20,788. AWD, 26mpg, comfortable, stable handling, and plenty of cargo room. You wont find an AWD this good for anywhere near the price! Only suggestion would be to have a 5speed automatic and a "low" gear for trails and this would be the ultimate mountain vehicle!

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

Love it!

by KH from Burke, VA on Wed Jul 18 2018

I love Subarus they are great cars and so far I've had two of them. AWD, good gas mileage and good styling. They can get rid of the CVT transmissions or improve them but other than that great cars!

An Almost Perfect Car

by NJNow from NJ on Fri Jun 15 2012

I've had my Forester for almost 3 months now and I've driven it about 4k miles. Overall, I love this car and the reasons I love it have been mentioned in other reviews; performance--esp in bad weather-- , the view from inside car, the brand's proven track record, a very comfortable ride (I'm 6ft), space, intuitive dashboard etc. My only real complaint thus far is the gas mileage. But then, my last car was a much smaller Toyota and really, 25-26mpg isn't terrible. And it's not as if I didn't know what the gas mileage was before I bought the car. But, as I said, I love this car and do not regret my choice. In fact, I am now a proud member of the "cult of Subaru" and plan to stay with brand.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Our Take on the 2012 Subaru Forester

Editor's note: This review was written in April 2011 about the 2011 Subaru Forester. Little of substance has changed with this year's model. To see what's new for 2012, click here, or check out a side-by-side comparison of the two model years.

It's never been the sharpest-looking crossover, inside or out, but the Subaru Forester strikes the sort of balance between driving fun, ride comfort and outright practicality that make some of its competitors seem downright frustrating in comparison.

The current, square-backed generation never blew anyone away with a progressive design or cabin quality, but its strengths become apparent as you sift through the glut of other small crossovers on the market. The... Read More