2012 Forester

4.3 out of 5 starsValue for the Money
4.5 out of 5 starsReliability

Excellent!

by NewSoob from Connecticut on April 19, 2012

This is my first Subaru, and I am sold on the brand. The vehicle rides smooth, and handles bad weather like a champ. We had a few inches of snow here in CT this winter(Which isn't much!), and while everyone else was sliding all over the road, I was solidly in place, driving up steep hills and stopping and going with no problems. The interior is alright- a previous poster stated that the seats were terrible, and I can definitely say that is NOT the case. I am 6'2" and weigh 180 pounds, and the seat is just fine for me. I think maybe there is a difference in the 2011 to the 2012 seats? Not sure, but it is definitely comfortable for me. That poster also talked about the radio- they are about right on that mark. The stereo is weak compared to others. It will play a CD or MP3 player decently, but switch to the radio and you have the weakest sound I have heard in a vehicle in a long time. I will definitely be replacing the head unit. The all-weather package is a must, too. Love the heated seats and heated mirrors. The gas mileage is alright- I drive about half high way and half city, and I am averaging 24 mpg, which is what I expected. The visibility is amazing. The engine is pretty responsive- not the most punchy car, but enough to get around a truck on the highway or get up to speed on an on ramp. Overall, an amazing car. Best vehicle purchase I've ever made.

Great Car

by Emden 08 from Staten Island, NY on January 5, 2012

I've only driven my new Forester 222 miles, but I can still say a few things. It has excellent visibility, front and back, which is key to accident prevention. The engine has plenty of pep (I have the base model with a manual transmission). It handles very well and is fun to drive. Passengers have plenty of room in the front and the back, and there is spacious cargo capacity. Miles per gallon is good and same as advertised, and everyone comments on the handsome styling. I wish I'd bought it a couple of years ago.

Forester 2012.

by Sportsman from Milford. Mi. on January 16, 2012

Great vehicle for the $$ great in the snow and just enough room for packages. The dealer added 2 year free maintenence.

Champaign Car on a Beer Budget!

by Forester Fan from Dallas/Ft. Worth on February 20, 2012

Luxury car features at a much lower price. Has rear view video monitor, wonderful sound system, leather interior, great ride, & I have had success in having the Bluetooth hands-free work flawlessly. It holds the road like it has claws. Very short turning radius - can zip into any parking place at the last minute. Dual-side Heater/AC works great. Instrument panel is logical and has bright display (but is dimmable if needed). Has surprisingly good storage with the seats down (Automatically!) I have had it a month, and I like this vehicle.

GREAT CAR

by Subbieluver from Palmetto Fl on April 2, 2012

This is the best car I've ever owned.yes,it's new,but my last car(Honda element) did not impress me nearly as much at 3 months. Handles beautifully,comfortable,roomy...an awesome sized moon roof,plenty of room in the rear and a decent ride for a car this size.So glad I bought this over a Rav4 or Tucson. overall a great product.

My 5th Subaru

by jmemcse517 from Steamboat Springs, CO on April 9, 2012

Where I live AWD is not an option ? 7000 ft. altitude in Northwest Colorado, USA. That, and the great reliability I?ve always enjoyed with Subaru are two of the reasons I purchased the 2012 Forester. I had been buying Outback?s, but went with the Forester this time because: it is a little higher off the ground, better visibility, easier to get in and out of, less snow jamming in the wheel wells. Although I didn?t buy it for outstanding gas mileage, I am happy nonetheless with what I am getting ? 24 MPG mixed use, and 28 MPG on the highway. If I?m really carful and keep it under 65 MPH I can get 32 MPG on the highway. I think people who get less than 20 MPG with this vehicle must have a ?lead foot?. My wife, 11 year old, and I just took a 600 mile road trip and all of us found the comfort level perfectly acceptable ? including the seats. I think if you?re around average height you?ll find the seats comfortable too. The Forester is certainly not as quiet as my dad?s Cadillac, but I didn?t buy it for a quiet ride. I will change to Goodyear winter tires this fall and leave them on year-round. Other than that I will just drive this Forester for 2 years in hopes that a 4th generation debuts in 2014 with a 6 speed automatic transmission.

best visibility of any similar car

by sense-ible driver from Bloomfield, MI on August 23, 2012

I was disappointed in the newer small SUV's on the market because they all sacrificed visibility for style. All the Lexus wannabes have a sloped roof and the larger rear pillars (as well as those high headrests in the front and back seats) which make for large blind spots. I found it difficult to safely change lanes for lack of a clear view. I was actually amused that Mazda recognized the problem, but instead of redesigning the car to solve the problem, they added a blind spot sensor and alarm on the side mirror to let you know someone is there, even if you can't see him. The sloped roof also cuts the distance you can see behind your car. My Forester has virtually no blind spots! Also the hatch back area with the higher roof makes an adequate space for my 2 dogs to ride so I don't have dog hair all over my car seats. And the car doesn't look like all the others. A plus!

Back To The Basics

by MosGran from Baltimore , Maryland on April 19, 2012

After thorough research on wants and needs in a vehicle; I realized I just wanted a reliable vehicle.The bells and whistles that add to the price also add to the cost. It was nice to know how everything in the car worked as soon as I got in it.While being basic this car is fun to drive . There is almost no engine or road noise . The seats are comfortable and the height is just enough above a regular car not to be difficult to navigate. The sound sytem is good. Iam most impressed with the simplicity overall. My friends and family who are senior citizens are impressed enough to consider it when they buy again.

A little disappointed with mileage

by SSM from Chicago, IL on March 13, 2012

Very comfortable, sytlish. Love the panoramic moon roof as well as the audio options (CD, USD, Bluetooth, hands free phone). Nice speakers. Good headroom, legspace. Not a lot of cargo space. Mileage has been about 21mpg (i have about 70% city, 30% HWAY mix) so was expecting better performance. Overall satisfied, except for the mileage. My 03' Corolla probably spoilt me (30mpg City/40 mpg/Hway).

Best value for the $$$

by Boulderite from Thornton, CO on July 26, 2012

2.5X auto for $20,788. AWD, 26mpg, comfortable, stable handling, and plenty of cargo room. You wont find an AWD this good for anywhere near the price! Only suggestion would be to have a 5speed automatic and a "low" gear for trails and this would be the ultimate mountain vehicle!

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

1 2 3 4 5 6