2005 Corolla

2005 Toyota Corolla

4.4

4 out of 5 stars Interior Design
4 out of 5 stars Reliability

Have you driven the 2005 Toyota Corolla?

A good value car

by Muffler from New Hampshire on Sat Oct 22 2011

We got this in 2008 when my grandad died. So far it's been really good to us. Regular maintenence and inspection is the only thing this car's ever been in the shop for. It occasionally won't start right away in the cold, but we've never had to turn the key more than once. It's also pretty zippy for a 1.8 liter four-banger. The transmission shifts so smoothly that unless I look at the RPM meter and pay very close attention to how I feel. I will notice it shifting when I'm paying attention, but I never notice when I'm not. I drove it a few times, and this car handles pretty good. The steering is a little loose, but still is good for a compact car. It's not very well designed for any height either. I have to pull the seat almost all the way forward to see well enough (I'm 5'2). The A-pillar is in my face and blocks my view on left hand turns, as well as both of my parents. But other than that, it's pretty good. The trunk's a little high, but with the seat raised, it's okay. The ride is very smooth. And quiet. Barely hear the engine. And the seats are really comfortable. They contour well, and provide good support but are still soft. But the plastics inside aren't exactly top notch. It scratches a little too easy, and we have a few gouges in the door panels (although my dad used it for work for a while). And the center console top, which is fabric, for some reason collects a lot of lint very quick. But that's about it, cosmetically. The trunk is huuuuugggeee for a car it's size. we have no problem going to bj's and stocking up and fitting it into the trunk. But the rear cupholder barely holds cups, and is about to break off. But we're getting a center console for it anyway. Now for the mechanics- again, no problems. Gets about 27 miles per gallon. Aesthetically, it's a good looking car. My mom likes it, and I love it. The interior is unique but simple. And the gauge cluster looks really good. Oh, and my mom hit a pole at about 12 mph when parking. Only a paint chip on the front bumper. that's it. Overall, this is a great car. It's reliable and comfortable. And fits a family of four perfectly.

Still great on 5th birthday

by Old Lady from Moore, Idaho on Mon Mar 22 2010

I bought this car new early in 2005. It now has 38,000 miles with no problems, and no replacements or repairs of major parts. It has had regular oil changes and general mainenance by a conscientious mechanic. It continues to get great gas mileage--from 39mpg up to 48, depending upon roads and conditions. It starts reliably in cold weather--down to minus 20F on occasion, and the highway ride is more like a much larger car, smoothe and relatively quiet. It handled very well in ice and snow after appropriate tire replacement of the initial cheap ones. The standard shift has so far shown no clutch problems, but I'm also almost the sole driver and was "raised" on a standard shift, so don't tend to do things that wear them out rapidly. I'm a small person, so the interior fits me just fine. My son, an occasional driver finds it a bit squashy, but he's a big guy. Some of the interior beading around the doors is coming loose, and the exterior rubber shield for the fog light wells didn't last much beyond the dealership lot. The paint around the grill is chipping a bit. Considering I must drive on 3 miles of gravel before reaching a paved road, this was expected. One minor annoyance has been that the interior heats up whenever the sun is out, more than other cars I've had, no matter what the outside temperature is. Therefore, most of the time, I have to drive with the air conditioning on. But I can't find anything worse than that to complain about. Overall, after five years, I continue to love this car.

Great for Commuting

by Corolla Owner from St. Louis MO on Mon Oct 01 2012

I have owned a 2005 Corolla since new. It has over 100,000 miles on it, and has continued to run strong with recommended maintenance and few other repairs needed. The 5-speed manual gets great mileage, a combined 37 mpg average on my commute (70% highway). On some long highway trips I have calculated 42 mpg. It's cheap, simple and gets me where I need to be without any problems!

Traded my Lincoln for Corolla, and I'm Glad

by Seattle Cello Player from Seattle, WA on Fri Jun 09 2006

At current gasoline prices, I was spending upwards of $50/week to commute in my '94 Town Car, in addition to ever-climbing maintenance expenses. It was time to find a better solution. After evaluating Hyundai, Ford and Nissan products, the clear choice was Corolla. Simply put it provides the best value for my money. Mileage is already great at 32 MPG, and will likely improve as the car gets some miles under its belt. My weekly gas bill is now around $25-30. As to comfort: well, it's obviously no town car in the interior. But, I'm a 6-footer, and I have plenty of legroom. The LE trim level even has some additional appearance items that keep the car away from the bare-bones level. The seats are well designed and comfortable. The biggest surprise: the road feel and ride are actually superior to my old Lincoln. Time will tell on the reliability question. But I selected Corolla based on its historical reliability record, which is better than the majority of the cars on the road. I don't anticipate any ugly surprises.

Best years toyota built a realiable car

by Corolla xrs from Long Island NY on Fri Nov 15 2013

Looking around for a while till my 2004-06 corolla xrs popped up best cars out there for realibility & dependability !! Cars till this day holding there value!! Glad I pulled the trigger & got my 05 XRS

XRS

by Knuckle from Wausau, WI on Wed Oct 27 2010

The XRS is by far the top of the corolla family. Between the 6 speed manual transmission to the sport tuned suspension, brakes and the VVTL-i engine you couldnt ask for anymore out of a corolla. Its fast, handles like its on rails and gets amazing gas mileage 34+mpg. Best car purchase I've ever made, no regrets!

Absolutely love them, I have 2!!

by DFH from State College, PA on Tue Jul 24 2012

Great cars, fuel efficient, fun to drive. Perhaps not the most power car I have owned, but power enough.

Still going after all these years

by TrishT from Louisiana on Sun Apr 10 2016

I have never had major work done on this car. It has 163,000 miles and I still get 35-37 MPH on the highway. Changed the battery once, the brakes a couple of times, bought new tires and kept the oil changed. That's the extent of the repairs on it. For the past 5-6 years, my check engine light will come on when it gets cold weather and won't go off again until someone turns it off. They have run it through the computer several times and can't find anything wrong. So the light stays on, but I just ignore it.

Pretty Good for the most part

by PeterM from Raleigh on Wed Jul 06 2016

I bough my 20005 corolla new, we drove it everyday for about 3yrs and the transmission gave out after 66,000 miles, just after the warrant expired, we haggled with the dealer and they gave us a new transmission valued at $5000, then it was a cracked radiator in 2013 I still drive it and it has 237000 miles on it.

Very reliable car

by Ekg34252 from Wilsonville, OR on Tue Nov 07 2017

I purchased my car brand new in 2005. I have put 186,000 miles on it and haven’t had any issues. Only normal repairs have been needed over the last 12 years. It is a very reliable car and easy to drive. It has met all of my needs in an affordable, gas friendly car. I would have to say the only downsides are lack of horsepower/torque and the road noise. All in all it’s a great car for the price. I know I could easily put another 100,000+ miles on it.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Our Take on the 2005 Toyota Corolla

Toyota Corolla

As for toys of the motorized variety, Toyota has brought out a limited-edition Corolla to commemorate the introduction of the nameplate in the U.S. 35 years ago, a car that bowed at $1,666 and was powered by a 1.1-liter, 60-horsepower 4-cylinder engine.

While that first Corolla, which failed to make much of a dent in the U.S. with sales of 7,247 units, helped launch the economy-car era, the commemorative model is targeted at performance rather than mileage enthusiasts.

Can't fault Toyota for that, considering Chevy never celebrated the 35th anniversary of its Vega, Ford its Pinto or American Motors its Gremlin, cars the domestic automakers thought would keep... Read More