2008 Passat

4.2 out of 5 starsReliability

All Reviews

German Joy

by gmoney from Dallas, Texas on March 8, 2009

I always assumed the best was Honda...then I test drove the passat. If you are considering any japanese car, do yourself a favor and test the passat. Looks like a family car but drives and feels like a porsche.

I love my VW Passat!!

by Kristen from Lebanon, MO on June 6, 2011

We've only had it 3 months but we're loving it so far. It's luxury-like and the gas mileage is excellent (near 30 mpg). I was a bit afraid to downsize from an SUV to a mid-size sedan but it's been an easy adjustment since the Passat is so fun to drive. The interior is great and I love the little extras like the iPhone aux outlet, back seat window shades (for my kiddos) and bluetooth capability. I get a lot of compliments on my pretty car and most say it looks like a high-end sedan. If you're considering a sedan, I highly recommend getting a VW Passat!

Awesome car! Fun to drive.

by jewel1325 from Bakersfield, California on May 30, 2008

Just purchased the 2008 Komfort Passat and we love it. It is a 4 cylinder with turbo/triptonic and it moves like an 8 cylinder. I just wish that it would have come with a navigation system, especially for the price tag. It does have a six CD in dash changer though and other bells and whistles. We looked at the Lexus IS 250, Honda Accord, and Camry. The Lexus IS 250 was way too small. No leg room in the vehicle and felt a little claustrophobic. I expected more for the price tag! The other two vehicles just didn't blow me away like the Passat. I just love the European flair and styling that it delivers.

always amazed

by VW all the way from el paso texas on December 17, 2011

i purchased my 2008 passat brand new when i heard rumors of it being replaced by the CC since then i have put 54,000 mils on it with all maintanace done on schedule. i do admit it can be expensive at times but that why i purchased mine with 100,000 mile warranty. the most common issue i have is the fuel cap needs to be replaced a lot, if you wash your car and dont clean around the fuel cap the seal goes bad, i made the common mistake by adding rims to the car and went back to the original rims and tires after 6 months the handling is to nice to ruin with rims. i always wash the engine and i now have a tensioner that is making noise do to my obsesion with having a clean engine bay. lets face it its an audi in sheeps clothing. i average 33 to 38 miles per gallon when lite on the pedal too.

Happy, So Far

by DocB from Austin, TX on July 31, 2012

Got a great price on it, otherwise might have gone with a different make. 24 mpg in the city, just got 32 mpg on a trip to San Antonio, including rush hour traffic down there. Drives quite well. Only downside is the road noise, but I'm accustomed to a Mercedes E-class. Interior (Lux edition) is as good as the Mercedes, with more features.

Best Car

by caarnutt from New York, NY on August 23, 2011

This car is the best car for the money. Period. Handling, performance, luxury. Phenomenal. Nice fat tires. Quiet.

Very sporty for a family sedan

by old school from Washington, D.C. on August 13, 2008

Good fuel economy and power with the 4 cylinder turbo. Great handling and comfortable interior. Great car for the price.

VR6 Review

by Dave from Los Angeles, CA on April 9, 2014

My wife and I have owned or leased 3 new Passats, a 2006 value edition, a 2009 lux and a 2008 VR6 bought new in 2009. All 3 have been very reliable. The 4 cylinder has plenty of pep but the VR6 is quite a bit quicker. I particularly like the way I fit in the car. I like to put my seat may back and put my elbows on the arm rests. Most sedans the arm rests do not extend far enough back. This is one of the only sedans that can accommodate me. I have gotten up to 30 miles per gallon on the highway from the VR6 which is my current car. We also have a Lexus SC430 which is a hard top convertible. The engine, brakes and transmission is not quite up to the level of the SC430 but the Lexus is 3 times the cost of the base Passat. The convertible is also quieter. The VR 6 will growl when accelerating at medium throttle and the wheels will turn over a little in first and second. It is a fun car in sheep?s clothing. The seats are a little narrow so make sure you fit in them. I plug my android cell phone into the car and listen to Pandora. The sound system cuts out when you get a call and operates out of the stereo.

2009 Passat Komfort Wagon - Solid as a rock

by Ataway from Orange County, CA on August 6, 2015

Well, where to start...I bought pre-owned Passat wagon at about 8 months old and 12,000 miles. That was nearly 5 years ago. This is about the longest I've ever owned a car, so kudos to the VW for having enough features, performance and style to garner such staying power with me! I'd say the only gripes I have would be the following: front wheel drive was the only option for 2009+, exterior styling of the wagon is in my opinion better than the sedan but still lacking in comparison to Audi Avant counterpart (there are Audi parts all over this car), as another mentioned the rain-sensing wipers could use some work (and likely have been improved in the years since), the CD changer is finally having issues though still works, and I would like seat ventilation. I don't think nav is necessary since my phone does the job wonderfully. How about the high points? Well, I've really only had to take it in for scheduled maintenance, which I do on schedule. No significant maintenance issues to report in nearly 5 years of hard-driving ownership. Pretty excellent in my opinion. I really like how well the V-Tex leatherette seats have held up, still look new! I do tend to overheat in the V-Tex (as I do with any other seat regardless of material) so I don't often use the seat heaters, but they do work very well. Stereo is more than adequate. Wheels still look modern, and in fact are better looking than most modern rims (10-spoke design). Handling is very good since it rides on fairly wide tires for this size sedan (though with RWD/AWD would be perfect). Love the interior design with the graceful arc that traverses the door and around the dash. Also, subtle design cues like the crease on the glove box matching the same crease on the exterior of the car is truly wonderful. All surfaces are soft where you touch them and there are cool hidden cubby-holes above the center dash vents. The 2.0T is a great little engine as evidenced by all the awards and accolades it has so rightly garnered over the years, and is plenty motivated to get my wagon quick-enough up to speed (but not recommended above 120 mph since aerodynamics at very high speed provide more lift than downforce, so steering control becomes very light). I would add that fuel economy is decent (for a 6 year old car) at just south of 30 mpg highway & about 20 in town. And I love the "Audi-esque" front grill of my 2009, so much better than the new hum-drum bumper design that makes new Passats (and all other VWs) look like any other Honda, etc. Oh, and this "little" wagon hauls so much it is always astounding...more so than I can usually fit in our premium SUV. I can fit my full-suspension 29er MTB in the back with seats folded and not have to remove the front wheel! The push button close for the rear hatch (and open from the remote!) is a fantastic feature, though it closes with a slam, so watch to ensure your little-one's fingers are not in harm's way. And I primarily use my vehicle for "all the above" when it comes to commuting, hauling the family, outdoor sports, enthusiast driving, just around town, work, etc...Just not for towing or serious off-roading. A wonderfully solid, reliable, comfortable, versatile, and rewarding vehicle to own. Thank you, VW, and please bring back the Passat wagon with a TDI and AWD!

There are cars and there are driving machines.....

by Cman from Corning, NY on November 8, 2007

This is the best car my wife and I have owned. We did not intend to purchase this vehicle, just compare it with the Saturn Aura, Toyota Camry, Honda Accord, etc. We drove it and were quite literally blown away. This vehicle makes you feel as if your feet are the tires and you're running the road. The safety features, the comfort and 'fun' factor is unmatched with the aforementioned vehicles. The kids enjoy the roomy back seat, I love the hold feature for city driving, she loves the zippy 2.0 turbo (okay, we both agree on that one!). Reliability is a concern for the long haul, but we'll keep it maintained and watch it carefully during the warranty period. Lastly, we were told that this trim level has complete control over computer functions relative to the display on the dash. That is not the case! The Komfort level trim does not allow programing of door locks, lights, etc. It is very limited and not at all useful. But, don't let that throw you. This is a commuter's joy machine!

1 2 3 4