NEW
Take our quiz & meet the car you’ll love.
2019 RDX

2019 Acura RDX

2019 Acura RDX

4.4

Have You Driven the 2019 Acura RDX?

Super on highways with SH-AWD. Disappointing MPG.

by JinJJa from Los Angeles on Sun Jul 22 2018

I just bought this car a week ago. Mine is Advanced SH-AWD. The car is MUCH faster than expected. It hits highway speeds EFFORTLESSLY. The SUV just wants to be driven fast. With the SH-AWD and tightened steering, this SUV is a dream to drive on highways especially on curvy highways and twisty roads. The SUV styling is a hit. It is also fairly large SUV, if not the largest, in its class. The infotainment is very good, but not spectacular. The 16 speaker ELS Audio is very good, but not mind-blowing. But it will more than satisfy all but the hardened audiophiles. It still sounds better than at 80-90% of systems out there. The main downside is that the car only does around 19 MPG combined which is significantly lower than advertised. Granted, 70% of drives have been local. Highly recommended. Pros: 1)High reliability and resale value. 2)Low maintenance costs. 3)Roomy and comfortable interior, especially the seats. 3)Fast and sporty. The SH-AWD is simply awesome on twisty roads at high speeds. 4)Precision handling especially at highway speeds. 5)Quick and extremely smooth shifting 10 speed. It is hard to tell if the SUV is shifting at all. 6)Very quiet interior. 7)Can store lot of cargo, especially below the cargo area. 8)Exterior and interior styling is a hit. 9)Chassis is 38% stronger than previous version and I can FEEL it. This is rock solid SUV. 10)16 speaker ELS Audio is very good. It will satisfy all but the audiophiles. I have personally found the default setting to the best (and I tinkered with it for hours). Cons: 1)19 MPG combined is less than advertised and disappointing. 2)I can't permanently shut off auto engine stop/start feature. The feature automatically turns on after engine start. 3)The auto engine stop/start is sort of clunky. The engine starts takes little longer than its competition.

An honest review - breakdown of features

by Brittany from Dallas, TX on Mon Oct 29 2018

I purchased the 2019 Acura RDX A-SPEC FWD. I have owned this car for a little over 2 months. Here is my long winded, but honest review. Currently obsessing: - The red seats and dark rims give the car a custom feel without the custom price tag. - Brake hold ’ This allows you to put your car in a breaked position without having your foot on the break or putting your car in park. This is super handy in a drive through line or stop and go traffic. - Air conditioned seats ’ These have been really nice on hot day or when leaving the gym. - Screen ’ The screen is a nice size and I like the split screen so that I can see the GPS and whatever I’ve listening to at the same time. - Pano roof ’ yes just yes! - Automatic rear door ’ loving that I can open and close with the touch of a button. - USB ports ’ up to 4 people can charge their phone at the same time and it seems to charge my phone very quickly. - Voice activated GPS ’ I like the ability to say the address to the car rather than typing in and I have not had issues with the incorrect address popping up so far. - Apple car play messaging ’ the car can read you a text and reply for you while driving. - 2 keys ’my husband is almost a foot taller than me so I love that we each have our own key so that the driver seat will adjust accordingly. You can turn these off and they will stay off thank goodness: - Lane departure ’ found this more annoying then helpful. - Auto high beam ’ there is a function that automatically turns your brights on at night in certain scenarios. If you live in the city you should 100% turn this off. Wish it didn’t exist: - Start/Stop Engine ’ always turns off at the most inopportune times for me. Typically, when I am at a yield needing to get on a service road quickly the engine turns off so this creates a few second delay which obviously can be a problem. There is a way to turn this off however this resets whenever the car is turned off. - Dynamic mode ’ seems like a waste of space. I changed my car to comfort mode during the first week and felt this gave me more control while driving. I have not touched the feature since then. Issues: - "System error ’ function unavailable" - I’ve received this message multiple time when clicking through my preset stations on my steering wheel when in XM. Once this happens you can only manually go through stations one by one. **One solution that has worked for me is to use the touchpad to click on one of the preset station icons on the XM screen. I have found I can click between my presets on the steering wheel again. - The A- Spec Model Does not have a spare tire Additional Information: - Gas Mileage - I do about an even amount of highway and city driving and get a consistent 25 MPG, so I am filling up about once a week. I have done about 4 road trips and have not seen the MPG improve. - Touch pad ’ took a while to get use to, but it's fine once you get used to it. - Button gear shifter - this was easy to get used to for me. I will say because it is a button on occasion I forget to push the break when changing between gears, more specifically, in the car wash. - BRAKE ’ when you get to close to someone your car will flash a break warning and even slow your car down automatically. This can be handy if you’re not paying attention. - Side sensors ’ these are handy while driving and parking, but annoying when pulling in/out of garage or at a carwash. - Distance pacing cruise control ’ this can be annoying if someone suddenly changes lanes but it’s nice for the most part. I keep mine at one car length and adjust based on weather. - Hidden trunk storage - I have used a few times. I once stored a nice camera and tripod (about 2 feet or so long) in here. If you wanted to use a trunk cover, you only have about a foot or maybe a little more for height on items because of this compartment. I would rather have a deeper trunk space with trunk cover over this hidden compartment. Overall, I am really enjoying this car!

Brakes Squeal at 1900 miles

by New Car buyer from Schaumburg, Il on Fri Nov 16 2018

I have owned this car for less than 2 months and the brakes squeal like a 40yr old car. I called the first dealership and they said Acura knows about this issue and they do not have a fix or an estimated time for it. I then called Acura corporate and they asked me to contact another dealership. I contacted a second dealership (Hoffman Estates) and they scheduled an appointment with a loaner car. When I got there they did not have a loaner available (sorry is all I got) and then without looking at the car said it was a normal sound from the brakes. I have now called Acura corporate twice and a case manager is going to assist. This is the first Acura I have owned (previously owned Infiniti and Lexus along with other non-luxury cars) and this is a first with this type of poor response. A similar post with brakes I saw on this blog was from: New Design Issues by florida guy from Palm Beach, Florida on Wed Oct 24 2018

Does not recommend this car!!

New Design Issues

by florida guy from Palm Beach, Florida on Wed Oct 24 2018

I was a bit leery to buy a brand new design. Car test drove OK but I wish they kept the smoother V6. After 1,000 miles the brakes are squealing. Reversing out of my garage, the engine vibrates. The rear liftgate sometimes opens by itself just walking by.

Does not recommend this car!!

Acura Steps it Up!

by DesignerTom from Northern NJ on Wed Jul 11 2018

This is my 4th Acura, and after a so-so 2016 RDX the 2019 RDX takes it into a whole new class. Great overall styling, an excellent interior, and packed with the latest tech that Acura used to be know for. That would be good enough, but the value for dollar equation hits it out of the park. The performance with SH-AWD is sports-car-like, especially in Sport+ mode. I wish there was a hybrid, or better mileage overall, but that's one of the few weak spots in a very well executed CUV that's the right size and price, and holds up well next to competitors at $10,000 more.

No Problems

by Rawhide from Pittsburgh, PA on Sun Oct 14 2018

I've read about the problems some owners have with this vehicle - electronic failures, poor mileage, turbo lag, etc. In 3 1/2 months I haven't found anything wrong. No failures of any sort. The mileage is right on target at 23 mpg combined. It has so much torque that if you have a lead foot you will use a lot of gas. I always shut off automatic engine shutdown when stopped. Maybe this system causes the hesitation when first moving. This is a really fun car to drive.

In it for the long haul

by Tiger95 from Lexington on Tue Jun 05 2018

This car checked everything on our list even price. Even better than I expected. Great car buying experience also. Plan to keep it a very long time.

A big step forward for the RDX

by Car guy from Littlestown PA on Mon Jul 30 2018

We traded a 2016. This car feels more upscale and the more I drive it the more I like it. I wish it had a CD player though. Red paint is very sharp. Engine feels very strong when mated to the ten speed trans. Nice sporty feel to the car. Gas mileage is equal to the 2016 was hoping for a little better. Nice room inside. comfortable seats. TTI system is easy to use.

Advance SH-AWD with 20" Diamond Cut Wheels

by Beerski from St. Louis, MO on Tue Nov 06 2018

I've got the Advance trim SH-AWD with the diamond cut 20 Inch wheels. The stock wheels are meh. Love the styling, free revving engine, acceleration, quick shifting 10 speed transmission, great steering and handling. The adaptive shocks are great smoothing out long rides in comfort mode and firming up in sport and sport+ on the windy back roads for a fun ride. Interior is upscale with lots of room in the front and back seats. and good storage in the rear. After 3000 miles of driving, the only negatives I have found are the auto engine stop and navigation. It can get annoying, especially in traffic. You can bypass the auto engine stop, but it reverts to on at every start of the engine. The navigation has had some problems finding places and addresses, while Google and Apple maps have not. If you input an address and save it, you cannot add a name, which means you need to know what a saved address is, not good. I love the console and the touch pad and audio system. It's easy to use and makes for a safer drive. After a few tanks of gas, I saw the gas mileage increase. I am currently getting 27.8 mpg on the highway and about 25 mpg on mixed city and highway and 22 city.

impressed

by Mulehead from Hot Springs, AR on Sat Dec 08 2018

Had a 2018 Honda CRV(which was very good), but traded in for a 2019 Acura RDX after one test drive(plus quite a bit of research beforehand). We also have a 2015 Lexus RX 350 that my wife drives most of the time. Now that we have purchased the Acura RDX, she wants to trade. No Way! The new Acura RDX is fantastic. We did go all out and get the SH-AWD Advance package. It is well worth it. Note-radio rewind, REALLY? and it works. The Lexus may be looking for a new home soon.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Our Take on the 2019 Acura RDX

The verdict:

The 2019 Acura RDX is delightful, with a comfortable interior, refined powertrain and engaging road manners, but it's got a problem Titanic enough to sink its overall appeal: a confounding, overcomplicated multimedia system.

Versus the competition:

The RDX offers high levels of luxury, safety features and value in its class but falls flat when it comes to multimedia; others more seamlessly integrate their systems.

For 2019, Acura's smallest SUV underwent a dramatic makeover, and love it or hate it, the RDX stands out — like all the way out, with its domineering, blinged-out shield grille, beefed-up body and sharp angles.

The RDX also grows in length, gets a new powertrain and switches its multimedia setup to the True Touchpad Interface. Compare it with the 2018 model. It competes against a host of compact luxury crossovers like the Audi Q5, BMW X3 and Volvo XC60; see them compared

Dynamic, Energetic

The RDX's bold, edgy styling gives off an energy matched by the SUV's engaging, dynamic road manners. All 2019 models use a new 272-horsepower, turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder... Read More