BMW's 5 Series is the automaker's next step up in size and price from BMW's best-selling 3 Series. The top-level 550i is only available as a rear-wheel-drive sedan, unlike other 5 Series that can be had in wagon or all-wheel-drive configurations. The 5 Series competes with luxury sedans like the Audi A6, Lexus GS and Acura RL.
New for 2009
There are minimal changes for 2009. The 5 Series offers a new Google Maps function in navigation-equipped 5 Series; it allows drivers to search through Google Maps for restaurants, gas stations or other businesses.
The 5 Series was given a going-over for 2008, when it received minor front, rear and side styling changes.
- Xenon headlights
- Adaptive headlights turn in the direction of the steering wheel
- LED turn signals
- Front and rear parking sensors with graphic display
- Metallic paint
- 17-inch alloy wheels with all-season tires
- Rain-sensing wipers
- Optional 19-inch light-alloy wheels with performance run-flat tires
- Optional headlight washers
- Optional Aero package shares many of the same enhancements of the high-performance M5
Over the past few model updates, the 5 Series has received larger door pockets and increased storage capacity in the center console.
- Leather trim
- Power tilt/telescoping steering wheel
- Auxiliary input for MP3 player
- Push-button start
- Available navigation system with iDrive
- Available head-up display projects car's speed and navigation directions on windshield
- Available heated front and rear seats
- Available HD radio
- Available active cruise control automatically slows car when approaching a slow-moving car
Under the Hood
While other 5 Series use six-cylinder engines, the 550i uses a 4.8-liter V-8 making 360 horsepower and 360 pounds-feet of torque.
- Six-speed manual transmission
- Available six-speed automatic
- Rear-wheel drive
Safety features include:
- Electronic stability system
- Antilock brakes
- Front, side-impact and side curtain airbags standard
- Rear side-impact airbags optional
- Lane departure warning system sends vibration through steering wheel when car veers from lane