Chevrolet's Tahoe full-size SUV has available four-wheel drive and seating configurations for up to nine occupants. Both the Tahoe and its corporate partner, the GMC Yukon, compete with other full-size SUVs such as the Ford Expedition, Nissan Armada and Dodge Durango.
New for 2011
The optional towing package includes an integrated trailer brake controller.
The Tahoe's large headlights flank a wide grille split by a horizontal bar with a large Chevy bowtie logo. An available Z71 off-road package adds unique exterior details, including large color-keyed fender flares and a chrome front grille insert.
Other exterior features include:
- 17-, 18- or 20-inch wheels, depending on the model
- Power-articulated running boards optional
- Available exterior package with luggage rack, crossbars and fog lamps
A curvaceous dashboard and flush-mounted buttons give the Tahoe a carlike interior. Two rows of seats hold up to six occupants, with a third row increasing total seating capacity to nine. The third row is removable, but it doesn't fold to the floor like in the Ford Expedition.
Interior features include:
- Three-passenger third-row seat standard
- Optional heated seats in first and second rows
- Optional ultrasonic rear parking assist
- Optional backup camera system with a display screen in the rearview mirror or navigation screen
- Optional rear-seat DVD entertainment system
Under the Hood
Tahoes are powered by a flex-fuel 320-horsepower, 5.3-liter V-8 engine that makes 335 pounds-feet of torque on gasoline or 326 hp and 348 pounds-feet of torque on E85. The engine has a cast-iron block on two-wheel-drive models and an aluminum block on four-wheel-drive Tahoes. When properly configured, the Tahoe can tow up to 8,400 pounds.
- Six-speed automatic transmission
- Fuel-saving 3.08 axle ratio
- Heavy-duty trailering package with 3.42 axle ratio
- Optional two-speed transfer caseIntegrated brake controller for electric-controlled trailer brake systems
Four-wheel-disc antilock brakes are standard, as is an electronic stability system that features rollover mitigation technology, which senses impending rollovers and applies individual brakes in an attempt to keep the Tahoe on all four wheels.
- Standard side curtain airbags
- Standard electronic stability system
- Front seat belt pretensioners
- Available blind-spot warning system