2005 Ford Escape

Most reliable new car I've owned

by from St. Louis, Mo. on October 2, 2010

Bought Escape new in late 2005 and have put 135,000 plus miles. With exception of new tires (at 101,000 miles) & Btry & Brakes replaced- Have only had scheduled maintenance (oil,filters,transmission fluid,coolant). Wish could find another as reliable. Only minor complaint-interior noisy at hi-way speeds.Need to keep windows closed when listening to Click & Clack.

I hate Fords

by from Vermont on February 5, 2014

I really don't like Fords in general. I decided to give this one a try for my wife. Ok not all Fords are bad, this one runs and drives nice. Looks very good and gas mileage is a big surprize..20pg to 25mpg on the highway. So I guess I would say, if you can find a Ford with low mileage and good service records then don't be affraid to try it.

A Great Car

by from Brooklyn, NY on June 4, 2012

I am impressd that a car with 125000 miles that is 7 yrs old can be so tight and rattle free. Has great pick-up and handling also.

The Great Escape

by from Amarillo, Texas on May 24, 2008

Couldn't be happier with the purchase of our used 2005 Escape. My wife and I love the size and it's maneuverability in town. The gas mileage could be better, but the engine is very peppy and probably induces a lead foot that hurts the mpg. Cargo room is plentiful and headroom in the front seat is almost ridiculous. When you drive the car you don't feel closed in at all, it feels like you are in a much larger car. Other small suv's don't have that feeling at all, this truly is the great escape.

Would reccomend to anyone!

by from on June 19, 2012

Have a 2005 Escape Limited. Wow what a car! Styling is great, power is plentiful and I would reccomend to anyone! Beats the Honda and the Toyota hands down!

This is a very fine auto

by from Mpls., MN on April 17, 2010

I love Escape. I have more than 100,000 on an '05 and haven't done anything except put new tires on it fantastic car and I will buy another.

Luv'n My Escape

by from NE Ok on March 24, 2009

I finally bought my first Escape (2/1/09) after drooling over them them for YEEEAAARS. My pre-owned purchase is an 05 XLT 3.0L V6 4x4 with 47k miles. I LOVE this SUV! The Escape has a lot of power, drives well and its so easy to handle. It turns on a dime, sharper than my 92 Tempo (btw:also a V6). Makes parking in tight spots easy. I like the automatic 4x4 feature since Im new to owning a 4x4 myself (my husband has a 4x4 truck). When we had snow/ice we could actually feel when the 4x4 kicked in and grabbed the road. My skeptical husband was impressed with how well it worked. The coated leather seats are nice and the front bucket seats are comfortable. I have lower back problems but Im comfortable in these bucket seats. I cant speak about the back seat but I havent had any complaints from back seat passengers. Leg and head room are good. We dont feel cramped or claustrophobic. Speaking of space, theres plenty of cargo room in the back too. I also like the option of opening just the back glass or the whole cargo door. The security of having the cargo cover is also nice. Since the Escape doesnt sit that high the side steps seem useless and just get in the way of entering/exiting the vehical. We're considering taking them off. The heat and a/c work well and even my back seat passengers can feel it right away when switched on. About the only complaint I have is the stereo speaker system. There isnt a speaker in the dash, only in the doors (bottom). We have to turn the sound up loud to be able to hear it. Other wise it sounds muffled to us. I dont know yet what kind of mileage it gets. Im still checking it. Which reminds me...I like the trip odometer and Ive used it several times already. I do wish the Escape had the temp/compass feature. I dont know if mine just doesnt have the option or if it isnt offered in the Escape. I have a cargo rack and we like the fact that the crossbars are moveable. That will be handy if we take the Escape on trips. In closing, Im happy with my purchase of this vehical. As mentioned above, I had been driving a 92 Tempo that I bought new. I have degenerative disks in my lumbar and that was making getting in and out of the tempo increasinly difficult and painful. I can get in/out of the Escape much, much easier. =)

ONLY Ford I would Drive

by from orlando on March 28, 2014

Wasn't a fan of Ford but this vehicle has never stopped on me. very reliable. Had it for 5 years bought it used and was the 3rd owner. Loved it. Sold it to get a minivan as our family expanded.

Love my Escape

by from Pittsburgh PA on June 6, 2011

I love this vehicle. Bought it new in 2005 have put 150,000 miles on it so far and have never had any trouble with the vehicle. Would buy another one.

Great compact suv

by from TX on September 22, 2009

I bought my 05 Escape V6 AWD used with 50k miles on it and I now have almost 80k. It has never been in the shop for anything besides oil change etc. Yeah, MPG isn't the greatest but overall I've definitely been impressed with its reliability. The V6 gives it peppy handling, good passing ability, though this noticeably declines when you add passengers and cargo. I don't really have anything overwhelming negative to say about it, so I would recommend it.

Our Expert Review: 2005 Ford Escape