2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Reviews
The Sierra 1500 is GMC's entrant in the half-ton pickup truck segment. Competitors include the Ford F-150, Ram 1500 and Toyota Tundra. It was redesigned last year.
New for 2015
Sierras with the available 6.2-liter V-8 engine get a new eight-speed automatic transmission while the upscale Sierra Denali trim level gains GM's Magnetic Ride Control adaptive suspension system. The IntelliLink multimedia system adds text message alerts and Apple Siri Eyes Free mode.
New available features include a spray-on bedliner with a raised GMC logo and trailering mirrors with LED rear guide lights. Also available is the OnStar communication system with 4G LTE internet connectivity and a built-in Wi-Fi hotspot. A three-month/3-gigabyte data trial is included.
Elevation and Carbon editions of the Sierra are also new. The Sierra Elevation Edition features a body-colored grille surround and body-colored trim pieces, including the bumpers, for a monochrome look. Additional features include LED headlights and black 20-inch aluminum wheels. The Carbon Edition is appearance-focused as well, with carbon-fiber-style hood stripes, a black grille and body-colored exterior trim. It also has black tubular side steps and 22-inch aluminum wheels. Versions with smaller wheels are also offered.
Below is a list of highlighted features and not an exhaustive list. Features are standard unless otherwise noted.
- Three cab styles
- Three box lengths
- 17-inch steel wheels; 17-, 18-, 20- and 22-inch aluminum wheels available
- Projector-beam headlights
- Integrated rear bumper steps
- Available adjustable tie-down hooks
- Available assisted tailgate for easier closing, softer opening
- 40/20/40-split front bench seat or bucket seats
- Vinyl, cloth or leather upholstery
- Available heated and cooled front seats
- Controls designed for work gloves, according to GMC
- 3.5-inch screen in instrument panel; available 4.2-inch color display
- Cruise control
- Air conditioning
- Available Bluetooth connectivity
- Available navigation system
- Available heated steering wheel
Under the Hood
- 285-horsepower, 4.3-liter V-6 engine
- Available 355-hp, 5.3-liter V-8
- Available 420-hp, 6.2-liter V-8
- Six-speed automatic transmission; eight-speed automatic with 6.2-liter V-8
- Rear- or four-wheel drive
- Available automatic locking rear differential
- Required in every new vehicle: front airbags, antilock brakes and an electronic stability system
- Six airbags
- Trailer-sway control
- Hill start assist
- Available hill descent control
- Available backup camera
- Available front and rear parking sensors
- Available forward collision warning
- Available lane departure warning