The Sierra 1500 is GMC’s entrant in the half-ton pickup truck segment. It is a corporate cousin of the Chevrolet Silverado, sharing the same platform, engines, body styles and major mechanical features. The Sierra has different styling, particularly in front, and GMC positions its vehicles as more upscale than the Chevrolet versions. Competitors include the Ford F-150, Ram 1500 and Toyota Tundra.
As with the Silverado, the Sierra is available in 2500HD and 3500HD heavy-duty versions that offer higher payloads and towing capacities.
(Skip to details on the: Sierra 2500HD and 3500HD)
The Sierra 1500 gets new front styling highlighted by unique grilles for each model, and new headlights with LED accent lighting. High-intensity-discharge headlights are standard, and LED headlights are standard on the Denali trim level and available on the SLT trim.
Apple CarPlay and Android Auto technology for accessing smartphone apps through the dashboard touch-screen is newly available. Wireless phone charging is included in trucks with front bucket seats. The eight-speed automatic transmission is now available with the 5.3-liter V-8 in SLT and Denali models. A remote locking tailgate and power running boards are available.
- 285-horsepower, 4.3-liter V-6 engine
- Six-speed automatic transmission
- Rear-wheel drive
- Air conditioning
- Cruise control
- Power door locks
- Full-size spare tire
- Trailer-sway control
- Hill start assist
- Required in every new car: front airbags, antilock brakes and an electronic stability system
- 355-hp, 5.3-liter V-8
- 420-hp, 6.2-liter V-8
- Eight-speed automatic transmission
- Four-wheel drive
- Magnetic Ride Control adaptive suspension (Denali)
- OnStar 4G LTE and Wi-Fi hot spot (data subscription required)
- Apple CarPlay and Android Auto smartphone integration
- Remote locking tailgate
- Power running boards
- Power adjustable pedals
- Heated and cooled front seats
- Forward collision warning
- Lane keeping assist
The GMC Sierra 2500HD and 3500HD heavy-duty pickup trucks were redesigned last year. They are the true workhorses of the Sierra lineup and are designed for hauling heavy payloads and towing trailers up to 23,200 pounds.
For 2016, available digital steering assist power steering provides greater responsiveness and improved steering feel, according to GMC. A new Gooseneck/Fifth Wheel Trailering Prep Package includes a spray-in bedliner.
Also newly available are Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, which allow mirroring of certain smartphone apps on the dashboard touch-screen. A remote locking tailgate and wireless phone charging are also available.
- Standard 360-hp, 6.0-liter V-8
- Available 301-hp, 6.0-liter V-8 (compressed natural gas or gasoline)
- Available 397-hp, turbo-diesel 6.6-liter V-8 with 765 pounds-feet of torque
- Maximum towing capacity of 20,000 pounds with a conventional trailer hitch
- Maximum fifth-wheel or gooseneck towing capacity of 23,200 pounds
Back to top