2011 Pilot

2011 Honda Pilot

2011 Honda Pilot

Have You Driven the 2011 Honda Pilot?

Very nice vehicle

by MJH from Dublin, OH on Thu Jul 29 2010

After two Ford Exporers, I made the switch to a Honda Pilot with my recent purchase. The primary motivation was the satisfaction we've had with our 2005 Honda Odyssey, which has been terriffic. I put over 100K miles on each Explorer, and plan to do the same with the Pilot, so it seemed that the additional expense would more than pay for itself on the back end with longer ownership, given the Honda reputation and my driving style. The Pilot has been excellent so far - gas milage is better than my Explorer had been, and the features (EX-L with Navigation) have been wonderful, including rear-backup camera, USB connection for iPod, Navigation, zoned climate controls, third-row seating with power outlets and drink holders in all rows, etc. I also had running boards added to help kids and parents get in and out. I did have to get a window crack repaired already, and may have another starting, so I'm not yet sure if that is just random, or something specific to the Pilot construction (window angle, etc.). Could also use a few more front-seat drink holders (like the Odyssey has). Overall, very happy with my choice.

Honda Pilot 2011

by Jack from Shrewsbury, MA on Sat Sep 29 2012

My wife and I love our Honda Pilot - thus far (after 16k miles). It has plenty of interior cargo room and space for packing in the family. On multiple occasions, we've ridden with our baby and my wife's family (2 adults in 3rd row, 2 in middle and one in passenger). Her two brothers did comment on the lack of leg room in the third row but were comfortable otherwise. I'm 6'3" and have tolerated far worse than what the third row offers for leg space in the Pilot. Regardless, we usually keep the third row down for groceries or other large items. The towing capacity is also very nice (4500 lbs). I have a 20' (2700 lb) boat that the Pilot is able to tow without any issues. The Pilot is equipped with a transmission cooler and sensor that triggers a warning light when the transmission becomes too hot. That sure gave me piece of mind whenever I towed my boat from MA to RI. Moving on, the AWD (VSA) and 4WD (VTM-4) come in handy during the New England winter. We had a pretty bad snow storm last October and happened to be out right in the middle of it. I engaged the 4WD by pressing the VTM-4 button and was able to get my family safely home through a nasty blizzard-like storm. Not once did I feel the Pilot getting away from me during our 40 mile commute. Going back to the AWD feature: The Pilot is mostly a FWD vehicle, but will automatically engage the AWD system when it senses slippage or when accelerating from a stop. This is very nice to have while it's raining or during light snow - another aspect of the Pilot that gives me piece of mind. Now, onto the negatives... The Pilot is a huge gas hog. We are averaging 18 mpg (HWY and city) and make frequent stops at the pump. The ECO mode is a great idea, but it doesn't seem to be doing much for gas efficiency. Another thing that kinda annoys me about the Pilot is its lack of HP (250). The Pilot is a heavy vehicle (4500 lbs) and feels a little slow and sluggish at times. With it being such a gas guzzler, I'd expect it to be a little more powerful. Other than that, we love our Pilot and feel that it meets most of our expectations for a mid-large sized SUV.

Best Car in its class

by VJ from Lexington, KY on Fri Sep 10 2010

We bought 2011 Pilot Touring Model. Touring model had some extra features which we really liked and we needed it. We also added accessories like chrome side steps and all season floor mats. For medium or big size families its the best SUV out there unless you are a Minivan fan. For young families minivan sound & looks boring. We were really interested in Acura MDX, but when we looked and test drove Pilot we loved it. Its has more space, looks bold, similar reliability, same family and it cost cheaper. We just took our first trip to Chicago in it. It exceeded our expectations and value for money. So if you are looking for a SUV around 30k-40K depending on what trim suits family, you cant wrong with 2011 Honda Pilot. We highly recommend it.

Perfect Family SUV

by Vijay from Herndon VA on Mon Sep 13 2010

I find Honda Pilot to be a perfect family SUV. It's spacious, comfortable, and powerful. Only improvement I see is the mileage. 17/23 mpg should be improved to match Honda Odyssey or at least 25mpg on highways. To get more than 21mpg you should be in 65-70 mph range, if speed goes up mpg goes down.

BEST IN CLASS

by REX from Portland on Wed Dec 01 2010

We started looking at an MDX last spring to replace my wife's Subaru as our family had outgrown it. We purchased a pearl white metallic Touring Pilot though after driving it! She love sitting up higher, the handling is excellent, the power is good, it does well in the snow, and we love the new look. We have about 10K on ours now and the only work I have had done is an oil change and the bug deflector replaced as the glue didn't hold on one side. My only complaint after 6 months is the dash material. You would think with a 40K car you would get better material.

Two month review

by Pilot newbee from New York on Sat Sep 01 2012

Purchased EX 2011 w/7600 miles. It has 10300 now with 70 pct hwy and 30 pct city driving. Very spacious, pickup is adequate not spirited, but will pick up speed quikly after about two seconds of hard acceleration. Reliability, don't have it that long so can't really give a true report on that. When it comes to gas consumption that I can truly give details about it. Traveling at 80-85 I am getting from 17.5-18.8 depending if uphills are involved. If doing 60-65 I get 18.5-20.5. Now when doing 50-55 I start getting around 21-23 as high as 25plus a few times again depending if hills are involved 45-55 definitely above 23-25...all based on minimum of 20 mile trips and using the onboard mileage computer. I think that's great for its size a for regular gas usage. Hope this helps...for the interior room,it's size I can't ask for for more I'm very happy nd satisfied. I previously had v6 4x4 ford escape and didn't get this mileage on it, though I loved it and had great reliability with the Escape.

great ride!

by the pilot from AKRON OHIO on Sat Sep 11 2010

PRETTY EXPENSIVE, BUT THE BEST DEAL I COULD FIND FOR A VEHICLE THAT COULD PULL MY BOAT. THERE ARE EXTRA OPTIONS THAT CAN BE PURCHASED WHEN YOU BUY IT THAT I GOT, BUT COULD HAVE SAVED ON EBAY. I PUT ON THE HOOD DEFLECTOR MYSELF IN LESS THAN AN HOUR TAKING MY TIME TO DO IT...SAVED 80 BUCKS. SO FAR THE GAS MILAGE HAS INCREASED SINCE WE BOUGHT IT. HOPEFULLY THAT WILL CONTINUE AS IT ONLY GOT 14 MPG THE FIRST TANK...18.7 THE LAST ONE AT ABOUT 3000 MILES.

Very reliable, comfortable, and GAS saver

by Car lover from Las Vegas, NV on Wed Jun 08 2011

We've had this vehicle for about a year, and we love it. The performance is great, it seats 8 passengers, has room, it's great on gas and very stylish. We love our Honda Pilot.

Great all round performer

by Gearhead Mom from Southern Indiana on Sat Feb 05 2011

Had our 2011 Pilot LX for 8 months and we're very happy with it. Even without the extras of the higher trim lines, it's a well rounded package -- does many things very well. Has room for 8 (and we think the 3rd seat is better than any other in the size class -- has room for 3 smallish adults). With the 3rd seat stowed, it has plenty of cargo room. Other seats are very roomy with a ton of leg and head space. It's pleasant to drive -- not a sportscar, but definitely handles better than my prior Chrysler Corp minivan. Gas mileage has been about the same as the van -- 17/18 city, 22 hwy but my Pilot has 4WD. Has been very comfortable for 4 adults on long trips, with no worries about cargo space. Main con has been the boxy styling (ugh) but I've gotten used to it, and it also creates more space on the inside. Also not quite as versatile as a minivan, but my teens like it much better. Reliability has been great -- absolutely no problems. !

So far, so GREAT!

by dinahmite from on Tue Apr 26 2011

In four months have put over 6K on this vehicle. Plain exterior, white in color, looks like a giant, square snowball. Wish the interior surfaces were not dark gray/black, as they show every speck of dirt. Averaging 20MPG, and it's not fully broken in yet. Have two show dogs (Labradors) and their large crates fit easily in the way back. Middle seat (either folded or not) holds a ton of gear. Completely happy with this vehicle at this point in time.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 12