2011 Sorento

2011 Kia Sorento

2011 Kia Sorento

4.3

Have You Driven the 2011 Kia Sorento?

Lots to love, a little to dislike.

by Wisconsin Owner from Wisconsin on Mon Oct 18 2010

I'd like to qualify this review by stating that my previous vehicle was a 2005 Chevy Aveo SVU w/ no trimmings (AM/FM radio and manual transmission and seatbelts....that's it!). I also did a lot of comparative driving. I test a 2006 and 2008 Chevy Equinox, a 2009 Nissan Rogue, a 2006 Buick Rendezvous, a 2009 Mazda CX-7, and a 2011 Kia Sportage before deciding the that 2011 Kia Sorento was the one for me. There were two convincing factors: the Sorento had all of the features I wanted, and a couple more, for the best price (the others were around $4,000-6,000 less, but had 40K+ miles and either barely any or no warranty remaining), and the warranty beat. For a few thousand more than a used car, I get a new one with a long-lasting warranty. For the peace of mind, I even took the sales pitch on upgrading to the 10-year/100K bumper-to-bumper warranty. I intend to get every mile out of it, and hopefully then some. I know some people recommend not buying that, but it felt like the right thing to do to best protect my investment. I've had my 2011 Sorento for about a month, and have put on about 1500 miles. Compared to my last car, this one is heaven on wheels. I love the exterior styling, which makes me feel rich every time I look at it. The interior is very comfortable, except for the third row. Honestly, though, who wants to sit in the third row of ANY vehicle? They're all cramped and meant for kids. Mine has the heated front seats, which are a God-send when you're on break at work or riding home and need that lower back relaxation. The biggest negative about the interior thus far is the material of the seats. It has already gathered a couple off-color spots. I plan to have this car a very, very long time. So, I'm not that hung-up on the interior staying perfect. But it is a little disappointing that it doesn't hold up to much when it comes to staining. I tried a Tide pen, and that just left a waterspot in place of the chocolate (oops). I work in a factory, so my clothes are dirty often. I am going to buy a cover for the driver's seat, just to be a little gentler on it. Other than that, I love the interior. The cupholders are well positioned. I would rather they were both the same size, but they work well just the same. The center storage makes a great armrest, and the ability to hide my iPod is nice. I love the little tray under the climate controls where the TWO power adapters are located. It's good for keeping the phone in place. AND THE BLUETOOTH IS AMAZING! I used to wear an earpiece, but having it piped through the radio is so much nicer. It can be a little frustrating to figure it's quirks at first (like when you start the car after starting a phone conversation, you lose audio from the phone call), but once you get the full hang of it it is awesome. OH! And the back-up camera is nice. I wouldn't recommend relying on it, but it certainly does not hurt to have the extra vision. It shows clear as day in the nightime, too. As far as performance goes, I bought mine with the 4-clyinder. I don't own any boats or anything to haul, and therefore did not need the towing capacity of a V6. Acceleration is as expected for a 4-cyl in a vehicle that size.....weak. I wouldn't go trying to race the kids at the stop lights or gunning it over the tracks to beat a train. However, the fuel-efficiency is nice. It is rated at 26. We all know the EPA ratings are always inflated. But I'm averaging 23.5 MPG. My five-speed manual Chevy Aveo averaged about 29-32 depending on weather. So, considering the size difference, I'm happy with 22-24 in the Sorento. It has an "ECO mode" which gives you an indicator that tells you if you're driving in a fuel-efficient way. It's corny, but I find it helpful to teach me to be a more patient driving and not "gun it" everywhere. My car also has AWD, but I have not had the opportunity to try it out. Living in Wisconsin, though, I'll get plenty of opportunities. Overall, I love my Kia. It has all the bells and wh

New Sorento Fan! This 2011 Sorento SX is 5 stars!

by CaliforniaKIAdriver from Arizona on Wed Mar 16 2011

We bought a 2011 Kia Sorento SX in Peal White Snow with all the options 2 weeks ago after doing some pretty extensive shopping with most brands of "CUV's" and SUV's from all the brands available. We did side by side comparisons, browsed reviews and ratings, talking to real owners and test drove all of them! We had not considered the KIA...until we saw one on a dealer lot. We test drove a EX and loved it. We again went home and compared the KIA with all the others that we were looking at. The KIA met our requirements that it be made in the USA (West Point, Georgia!), be good on gas, be well made, a better than average warranty (It has a 100,000 mile waranty!), all the safety stuff that technology can provide, be good looking and not an common, average and boring Honda/Toyota, and a bunch of features and extras. We were, to say in the least..impressed! The V-6 engine is the supurb 100% designed by KIA V-6. Probably the most modern engine currenty made! 278 HP and a efficient, powerful and reliable engine. And it's mated to the best 6 speed automatic that I've ever tryed...and it's also built by KIA in their West Point factory! This engine gets up and GOES! Almost scary acceleration, with a rich roar of power and you're thrst back in your seat! I could see myself getting into trouble with this thing! Yet driven carefully, the dash has a green "eco" light to help you achieve an honest 26 mpg on the highway...my wife can do it..I can't! The interior is a rich and unexpected suprise, real leather seats with "butt cooling AND heating" in the front! Deeply recessed instruments with red lighting, easy to see white numbers, a big navigation screen with voice of touch control and a cool Sirius satellite Radio, am/fm cd and IPod connections, USB port and micro jack for a MP3 player...all integrated with blue tooth, and a built in back up camera! And a 10 speaker Infinity system! Dual zone air conditioner and heating, and the middle and 3rd row seats get their own vents! And more! The exterior was designed by the same German Designer that was responsible for some best selling cars such as the VW New Beetle and the Audi TT! Different and better looking than any other CUV, just the right curves and lines, tasteful...with a new Corporate KIA front grill and flowing headlights that are remarkably BRIGHT! And LED stop lights that cause the drivers behind you to wince when they come on! I have gone over this Sorento with a fine tooth comb, looking for defects or poor workmanship. NOTHING! Absolutely perfect..the paint job is the best I've seen (the pearl white snow is awsum!), the engine compartment is well layed out, neat and easy access, everything where it should be. The hood is help open by hydralic struts...not "prop-rods"! And the interior is nicely done, black leather is of high quality, stitching is white, and the instrument panel pod over the dials is black leather with white stitching too. Nice touch! And the 3rd row is doable by kids or Adults for short jaunts around town. The 2nd and 3rd rows fold flat for huge cargo space. And the giant full black glass roof includes a big power sun roof...makes the back seat a very bright "vista liner" experience! And the icing on this cake is the 100,000 mile KIA warranty and the 5 years of roadside service! This vehicle is a real deal...and in just short of 1 year has broken sales records with over 100,000 sold, and the West Point Georgia factory working all 3 shifts to keep up! Best of luck to KIA's continued success!

Quite happy with my purchase

by New Kia Driver from Georgia on Tue Jul 13 2010

I have driven this car for 2 months. It's my first Kia and I am very happy with my choice. Compared to the older model, the styling is much improved and it definitely looks more expensive than its actual cost. The interior is also impressive. The chrome trimmings around the cup holders and gauges add a touch of luxury to the interior. The backseats have enough legroom for large adults as well. I have previously driven a coupe and the unibody Sorento made it easy for me to transition into my new car in terms of handling. The ride is very quiet even at high speeds. However, the 4-cylinder engine is a bit short on power than I would like. Overall, it's an elegant looking car inside and out. The standard features far exceed the competitors for the price range and with the dramatic rise in Kia's vehicle quality, it is a great buy.

Great Vehicle!

by Hambone04 from Maryville, TN on Thu Aug 12 2010

We enjoy this vehicle very much. It is a great family vehicle and has met or exceeded all of our expectations! We had all intentions of purchasing a 2010 Chevy Equinox until I test drove the 2011 Kia Sorento. But,in comparasion, we were able to get so many more options on the Sorento. Examples of this are: a rear back up camera, panoramic sunroof, electronic stability control, V6, dual climate control, keyless engine start, bluetooth, and leather seats (front seats heated) etc. The leather seats alone in the Equinox was going to cost $1200 more and bluetooth was also an extra expense. Finally, we liked the 10yr. warranty on the Sorento as well. Our 3yr. old daughter loves the panaramic sunroof, calling it her sunroof! I feel as if we were able to get a lot more car and options with the 2011 Kia Sorento! Another factor in our decision to purchase the Sorento was that the Chevy dealerships would not come down from the MSRP very little. But at Kia, we paid $6,000 less than MSRP with no trade in!

Best ride I've ever owned

by Love My Sorento from Illinois on Tue Sep 06 2011

This car has the smoothest ride. After owning a Toyota Corolla and 2 Camrys I never thought I would buy anything other than a Toyota. The price of the Sorento with all of the extras (roof racks, leather, heated seats and mirrors, 3rd row, V6, panoramic sunroof, 18" wheels) is way better than anything in it's class. The gas mileage for the v6 is around 25 highway, which is also better than anything in it's class. I took a chance buying a Kia and I'm in love!!!

V6 is great! 3rd row is cramped.

by Suburban family man from Columbia, MD on Mon Mar 28 2011

We purchased our 2011 Sorento LX V6 to replace a 2001 Lexus RX300. Our primary vehicle criteria are safety, value, and performance (in that order). Since our last car was an RX300 (which we loved), the bar was set high, but the Sorento met and exceeded our expectations and at a very good value. The top safety ratings, great warranty, low price, and high quality made the Sorento impossible to resist. We test drove a 4-cylinder Sorento first and about 30 seconds into the test drive it was clear that there just wasn't enough horsepower. We went back to the lot and test drove a V6 and were very pleased...the V6 has plenty of horses to spare for a fun and peppy ride while sacrificing only 1mpg. We ended up buying the AWD version although in Maryland you really don't need AWD; we didn't have much snow this year, but in the snow we had it was sure-footed. The interior is nicely appointed and well laid out; the seats are comfortable and there is plenty of cargo room with 4 passengers. We are value shoppers so the LX V6 seemed to be in the sweet spot of price/performance. The only significant negative about the Sorento is the 3rd row seating. We usually use the vehicle with the third row folded flat so we have two rows and a large cargo space. When the third row is unfolded, it is *very* close to the rear of the vehicle...even though the Sorento gets top crash-test ratings, I wouldn't use it regularly in the 3-row configuration for safety reasons. I've seen the same thing in other small-to-mid-sized SUVs with optional 3rd row seating. Also, when the third row is up, there is very very little cargo room...so consider the third row as infrequent seating when you need to take your family plus a few of the kids friends, but not something you'd use regularly (our regular kid-hauler is a Sedona minivan which we also like alot). Buy the cargo cover too...it's not very expensive and it's silly that they don't include it.

My wife and I are in love... with our Kia Sorento

by vara411 from San Antonio, TX on Tue Jan 04 2011

Fantastic car at a great price. Folks complaining about the ride are driving older builds... all new Sorentos built on or after the 4th quarter of 2010 will all have the sporty (yet more refined) dual flow damper shock absorbers seen on the SX trim. We've highly recommended this car to all our friends and family members in the market for a crossover vehicle. It's really that good.

Fun to Drive

by Sock Monkey from Mechanicsburg, Pa. on Thu May 27 2010

We have had this car for 2 months and it is still fun to drive. I appreciate the safety features and the my cell phone is tied into the control on the steering wheel. The back up camera is helpful when I am in neighborhoods full of children. It helps to see the low blind spots. The interior is not cheap looking and the seats are comfortable. Passengers have plenty of leg room, front and back. The AC cools passengers in back seat equally well. We haven't used the heated seats yet since we are now in May. The sunroof when opened all the way affects the the radio. You have to close the sunroof about an inch or two to avoid wind noise. This has been the only negative of this car.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

Perfect downsizing choice!

by dr_mom from College Station, TX on Fri Jan 14 2011

I loved my Chrysler TC Minivan purchased when 1st child was newborn. Birth of 2nd baby validated need for LOTS of space! Giant carseats, dual strollers. Now kids are school-age. In booster seats - no strollers. So I wanted to downsize - still need 3rd row for occasional carpooling kid. I wanted better city MPG. Husband focused on safety features and warranty. Spent nearly a year researching. Drove Dodge Journey (terrible reliability reviews), Honda CRV (only 4 cyl), RAV 4 (too small). Even Mazda 5 (sits too low). Tried Highlander, Pilot, Sienna, Odyssey vans. Even tried the Borrego (Kia) - all more can than we needed and mileage not as good as I wanted. No other in this class has 3rd row options and gets the mileage we get! If I'm driving hard, city MPG is about 18-19. If I'm more cautious (typical of me) then its about 22-23. On the highway, I get 29! And this is with a V-6!!! I DO miss power liftgate from my van, and power sliding doors - had to teach the kids to open the doors GENTLY. Still, its a dream to drive. Loving the "bootay warmers" considering this frigid winter we're experiencing. I'm tall (5'9") and hubby is taller - but we're comfortable and kids still have legroom! Amazing car. Amazing price.

sorrento

by tollef from minneaplois on Wed Nov 03 2010

So far (after 3 months) we love everything about the sorrneto. I like the heated seats (living in MN) and the Satellite radio and mp3 connector. My wife likes the way it drives (its her car) and the good mileage we get.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 18

Our Take on the 2011 Kia Sorento

It's remarkable how much better the 2011 Kia Sorento is than the previous generation. It debuts in one of the toughest segments in the market, battling not just compact crossovers like the Honda CR-V, thanks to its price, but also larger crossovers like the Ford Edge, because of its overall size. In terms of value, interior quality and performance, the Sorento is preferable to many of its competitors, but its rough ride might sour those just looking for the high seating position and cargo room that crossovers provide.

New Looks
At a glance, it's unlikely many people will identify the new Sorento as a Kia. That's a good thing. From most angles, it's a handsome SUV with a sleek grille and headlights. ''Sleek''... Read More