2014 Mirage

2014 Mitsubishi Mirage

2014 Mitsubishi Mirage

4.4

4 out of 5 stars Performance

Have You Driven the 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage?

just buy it already!

by vanagon84 from Milford, CT. on Fri Dec 11 2015

I am convinced that the professional reviewers rate this car for what it never claimed it was. I bought an ES with CVT and love it. This is an three cylinder A to B car designed to get you around as cheaply as possible with good reliability period. If you want to drive fast and fly around corners and expect outstanding performance, you shouldn't be buying (or reviewing) this car. I drive it for what it is and love it. No issues what so ever with power, speed or steering. It is a little loud like you'd expect a diesel to sound, but who cares. It's much larger inside than you would think and rides better than expected. I'm saving $80-$100 monthly on fuel based off $2.20/ gallon and with the all the extras like keyless, Bluetooth etc...it's an excellent reliable value.

Grows on you...

by Satisfied owner from Dayton, Ohio on Tue Nov 10 2015

I bought this car before reading many "expert" reviews which panned it for being underpowered and ill handling, and I'm glad I did. I'm sick of hearing how much better a Ford Fiesta or Honda Fit is. I traded a Ford for it, probably the most trouble prone vehicle I've ever owned. I have family members with bad experiences with Hondas. I've had numerous Chevrolet problems in the past as well. I've had this Mitsubishi a year and a half and have yet to experience a single malfunction. As far as acceleration is concerned, even with a CVT transmission, it is a 2000 pound car, and it doesn't take much power for such a light car to get up to speed and handle decently. I had read reviews that said I should be afraid of highway on ramps and highway driving. This car has plenty of power for both on ramps and highway driving. No, it isn't a performance car, but it is hardly a dangerous car either. The handling is far better than reviews say, especially around town, where it is downright fun. There may be better cars out there for "similar" money, but none with the features this Mirage has. I don't think gas mileage is the issue it once was at $4 a gallon, but I've gotten 44-45 MPG consistently. The car is fun to drive, inexpensive to own, and I'm happiest that it's more reliable with better dealer service than my Ford. Or Chevy. Or even Honda. Then there was my Toyota....

Mirage the car Americans want to hate

by alex16 from Minersville, Pa on Sun Mar 29 2015

A lot of people want to offend Mirage owners by saying its the new Geo Metro... if your trying to explain it has fantastic MPG and a low cost of ownership than thank you. If your trying to tell me that it is terrible car then explain to me about how this is America and we need powerful cars that are large and we autocross on Saturdays let me know in advanced so I can close my ears. I am American, I am a big guy, 6'0 and 300lbs, and the last thing I want is a vehicle that gets under 30mpg rated. My Window sticker on my Mirage shows 42 highway, which is still too low for my liking but who else has anything non hybrid 25k that can compare? Nobody because American's do not want small fuel efficient cars, I hope the Mirage sales has shown the economy there is a demand for these small MPG machines. The Mirage, not a race car, not a suv, not a fancy car. It is very cheap with good build quality. Get a ES model and you will find loads of goodies. It's a honest little car that gets better than EPA ratting MPG ratting, my 5 speed easily breaks 50mpg at 60mph. Very comfortable for me and gives me features I've always dreamed of and a warranty to protect me long after my car is paid off. Look at the reviews from real owners, then test drive one yourself. It took me 3 days after I test drove my first Mirage to return to the dealer and drive away in that very car. I have loved every mile since, my current winter average is 39 mpg 70% city 30% highway with mountain grades and short trips. Just recently did a 110 mile trip with 57.2mpg trip average

Great little car.

by EJ from New Hampshire on Mon Aug 17 2015

This car is a great value as it gets unbelievable to iMPGs and comes with an outstanding warranty. It is also cheaper to insure than its competitors. I have driven this car in all types of conditions nclude up Vermont snow covered mountains (with studded snow tires), driven on muddy dirt roads, and have taken numerous long trips on the highway. All of which it does well. I don't know what the reviewers are talking about when they criticize this cars performance. It does well doing what it was designed to do. It is inexpensive, utilitarian, reliable transportation. Think a modern version of the original VW bug. Its inexpensive, fun, quirky, and doesn't resemble everything else on the road. Being said, the car is also fun to drive. I think it goes without saying that this car will not give you the driving experience of launching you back in your seat when you hit the gas. It does give you the type of fun driving experience that is associated with driving a lightweight car that you can whip around corners, and in my opinion the car has a very nice exhaust note while doing so. If you are the type who needs a fancy vehicle and a $500 plus car payment to feel good about yourself, this car will not fit the bill. If you are looking to save money while enjoying a fun little car, give this one a try.

Good cheap little car

by Canadian Truck driver from Vancouver, BC on Wed Jun 25 2014

I bought this little car for my wife so she would stop driving my Dodge Ram 3500. The Mirage gets her back and forth to work and around town with the kids for a lot cheaper than we could do it in my truck. I have driven her car a few times and I am 6' 3" and can still fit in it and have driven it to Seattle (about 3 hours away). It has the power you would expect from a 3 cylinder. It's not a sports car but we save enough money driving it that we can now buy other toys.

Great Value

by Kirk from Dallas, TX on Sat Apr 26 2014

Unbelievably low price of 13,300, loaded. Very reliablye and awesome gas mileage IF you drive reasonably and gradual acceleration. The divergence between "hot rodding" gas mileage and "taking it easy" gas mileage is larger than any other vehicle I have owned. I have gotten 60+ on long trips going 55 mph, but only 30 mpg driving like a maniac.

Economical Car

by SC from San Jose, CA on Mon Sep 28 2015

Owned this car for a year, and I absolutely love it. Never get less than 45mpg for a tank, and I've gotten as high as 53mpg. Seats are very comfortable and the car rides well on the freeway and around town. Car with manual transmission is fun to drive. Plenty of room for 4 passengers. Also very cheap to buy, operate, and it comes with a 10yr/100k warranty. Go with this instead of a hybrid.

Excellent Little Car

by Green Guy from Dallas on Sun Feb 02 2014

First the cons: While using hands free calling, you can't see the clock. The car is very light so is susceptible to wind. That's it, I love everything else about this car. The ES model comes with an impressive list of features. The blue-tooth connectivity with steering wheel controls works excellently. Even at highway speeds people can't tell you're using it and it's nice for streaming music too. There's plenty of room in the back for me at 5'9". Last tank I averaged 44mpg combined (cvt transmission) and on highway have averaged 56mpg over 25 miles.

Much More than what we Expected ! !

by Mr & Mrs F from Medina Ohio on Mon Jan 20 2014

Yes, the vehicle is an Econobox . Exactly what we were looking for ! Not the smoothest ride, Not the nicest interior., but Delivers Better than Rated Fuel economy ! What we really appreciate are the options that come Standard on the Base Model . Simply Amazing ! We owned Geo Metro's in the past and liked them.. Our Mirage We LOVE ! The Warranty is what sold us. We are considering purchasing another to replace the AWD car that we still have... since the Mirage moves very well in snow. We Love It !

What a Relief!

by ssbtrk from Ridgway, CO on Sat Apr 26 2014

This was the best and easiest experience I've ever had buying a car! The car has everything you need inside at the base model and has a surprising amount of room inside. The model I purchased is a stick shift, so the 'slow start' doesn't bother me at all. Also, I think the complaints of too much engine noise are overrated...don't notice it at all when I'm listening to music or podcasts, which is almost all the time. I got the red model which makes it very stylish. It can easily maintain speed and maneuver into areas and parking spaces my old car could not. I would recommend Christopher's Dodge World (MH) to purchase you Mirage in a heartbeat. I purchased my Mitsubishi Mirage through the internet. I especially liked that everything was straight forward (just taxes and normal dealer fees) and above board (unlike other dealers that had "hidden fees" even though I was looking at specific vehicles w/VIN #'s). The process was quick and easy...picked the car on a Saturday afternoon and it was delivered the following Wednesday with paperwork ready to go-- when it would fit into my work schedule. I will recommend the same car and process to my daughter when she is ready to buy her car.

1 2 3 4 5

Our Take on the 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage

When the 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage was introduced at the 2013 New York Auto Show, many of us Cars.com editors thought the microcar was a joke. While there's nothing funny about its excellent fuel economy, a more-thorough evaluation did indeed prove that gas mileage is the Mirage's only facet worth smiling about. Turns out, "Mirage" is an appropriate name: Once you drive it, you'll hope it disappears.

The 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage takes the term "entry level" to a new low with its crude powertrain, cut-rate cabin and unpleasant road manners; not even bargain-basement pricing can redeem it.

Mitsubishi is resurrecting the Mirage name after a decade-plus hiatus. The car is available as a four-door hatchback and... Read More