2019 Ascent

2019 Subaru Ascent

2019 Subaru Ascent

4.5

Have You Driven the 2019 Subaru Ascent?

1st ever Subaru

by Justin from Apollo Beach Florida on Sat Jul 28 2018

So far I only have about 800 miles on the car but it has been so fun to drive I did a lot of research and had test driven every car in the three row market before stumbling on the ascent I was all but set to purchase the Honda Pilot elite. I happen to see the ascent came with a 4 cylinder and that turned me off until I gave a test drove wow really amazed how well it’s put together and safety features on all trim levels with awd I fell in love with the limited trim (to me the best bang for your buck) it being a first run car I did also purchase a extended warranty and still came in under the Pilot elite. Had a great dealer experience and so far have truly enjoyed my first Subaru!!

Most comfortable midsize SUV I've owned!

by ckblove from Bethlehem, PA on Thu Nov 15 2018

The touring model has wonderful features!! It's my first Subaru after driving many Honda Pilots for the last 15 years and I love the features!! The interior is very comfortable and feels like I'm driving a much smaller vehicle. I LOVE IT!!!

Bad Reliability - Too Many Mechanical Problems

by Karczag from Livingston, NJ on Fri Dec 06 2019

We like the ride, refinement, layout and Eyesight BUT we've had way too many problems with our Ascent, which should NOT happen with a 2019 car, definitely disappointing for a Subaru: 1. Transmission died (!) and had to be replaced. 2. Ball bearings had to be replaced. 3. Dealer technician found "heavy pulsating" in both front and rear brakes, which required resurfacing of front AND rear brake rotors. 4. Transmission / acceleration / engine noise problems persist even after 2 software updates. 5. A recall for "TCM programming" requiring a trip to the dealership. All these problem occurred within a few months and with LESS than 20,000 miles. In hindsight we should have waited a year, maybe two, to let Subaru iron out the kinks that are hopefully just for the first year(s) models. We would NOT recommend buying the Ascent until it's proven more reliable .

Does not recommend this car!!

My first Subaru and I couldn't be happier

by Daryl CM from White Bear Lake on Fri Nov 23 2018

I love the ride very smooth and everything feels solid. It seems Subaru thought about everything the consumer needs and wants for a family SUV or in my case newly retired. My wife and I plan to travel and pull an RV camper trailer. This vehicle can handle up to 5000 lbs. and it has all the bells and whistles. I researched and test drove the Honda Pilot and Toyota Highlander. I thought I would buy a 2018 Highlander but then I test drove the Subaru Ascent. I couldn't believe the difference in the ride. It's almost as if the Subaru car makers studied the Pilot and Highlander and took some of the best features from each, made some better and added features they new would make for an even better SUV. I have the Touring model and it's loaded: Car Play, Harmon Kardon 14 speaker sound system, heated and cooled front seats, heated steering wheel, very well lite instrument panel for night driving, high quality finish for dash and seats and more. Test drive a Subaru Ascent today, you will be amazed in what you see and feel.

Great 3rd row vehicle. Mileage is worrying

by Subarooter from Dallas, TX on Mon Jul 15 2019

If you need a third-row vehicle that is not a land barge, this is for you. Just beware of poor mileage. Plenty of room even with the third row in use. The Touring package is very luxurious. Bigger than the Mazda CX-9, but nothing near Suburban territory, this vehicle strikes a perfect middle ground. Really, its a perfect car for the kid'n'dog crowd. Things we LOVE: Lane keep assist and active cruise control. Leather seats are very comfortable. Wide doors. Good towing capacity. Good (Harmon Kardon) sound system. Captain's chair option!! Styling, interior and exterior. Has a CD player. Good power. Built-in rear-window shades. All in all, it is just great. Some minor ISSUES: The car is tall and you can't remove the roof rails. Seat memory doesn't keep track of the side-rear view mirrors. Keyless entry by touch doesn't work on back-door handles. Seat vent motors are a little loud sometimes. Rearview mirror vibrates easily. Major issue: MILEAGE is far WORSE than advertised. 22-23 mpg combined (as stated on this site) is a joke. We are barely getting 14 mpg in the city, at best, and 22-24 on the highway. If your "combined" driving leans more on the city side, you will be getting mid-teens mpg at best. Be warned. I don't know if the EPA calculations assume no one and nothing is in the car but the driver, but that seems to be a big problem is cargo. Mileage is OK when it is just me in the car. Add spouse, two kids, car seats, strollers and a dog, and you will be sucking gas. Also, if you ever use remote start or idle a lot at red lights (no auto start/stop on this car) you could be in the 12 mpg range for city driving on average!! The GAS TANK CAPACITY is also TINY. 19 gallons. At best. If you're getting 14 mpg in the city, that means you will be filling up every 260-275 miles. If you drive 15-20 miles a day, that's every week and a half filling up. I came from a VW Touareg TDI with a 26 gallon tank that go 19 mpg city and filled up every three weeks usually. So, prepare to spend a lot of time at the gas station. We bought this car anticipating getting at least the 16 mpg advertised for the city, so we are very disappointed, just in terms of cost and annoyance of frequent fueling, to say nothing of the environmental consequences. When some less expensive 3rd-row PHEV vehicles come on the market, we will likely switch this out. I shudder when I think about gas going back up in price. All in all, we love this car except for the mileage.

Lots of options for your growing family and needs

by LibraryQueen from Bethany Beach, DE on Fri Dec 07 2018

In needing a vehicle for many grandchildren and/or adult children/spouses, I was impressed how easily I could climb into the very back of the Ascent. Granted, no adult will sit in the way back on a cross country trip, but of the many other maker/models we tried, the 7-seat limited was one of the easiest for our old knees/legs to navigate. The numerous safety devices (eyesight, lane assist, backup camera), multiple USB ports, and beverage holders will help us to haul around the whole darn family. Seats are comfortable; love the window shades for the second row of seats.

Great Product from Subaru

by Bobj from Tucson, AZ on Tue Oct 16 2018

Bought a new Ascent Limited. Really nice vehicle, nice power, all wheel drive, interior is very nice. My only complaint is you can’t get ventilated seats except in the Touring trim in which the seats are only in Java brown. If you want black leather with every option you can’t get ventilation in the seats (we need this in AZ!). Kinda disappointing for a $44,000 vehicle.

It's brand new but so far I'm very happy with it.

by JMKollar from Muskegon Mi., on Fri Oct 12 2018

I really like the room and styling. Things are placed nicely and convenient. It is a bit harder on gas than I has hoped. I have towed with it once and it did a good job. Plenty of power. So comfortable.

I love my Ascent

by Cantaloupe23 from Denver CO on Wed Feb 06 2019

This is the second Subaru that I have purchased. I have previously driven Jeeps, Land Rovers, VW and Fords. We test drove every 3 row car in the market from premium (Audi,Volvo , BMW, & Mercedes) to more budget conscience Hyundai and ended up falling in love with the Subaru Ascent. This car won’t be everyone’s first choice but for a Family living in CO this checked all of the boxes and then some extras too. I have only had our Ascent for around 2 months but it still makes me smile every time I get in it.

Best SUV I’ve ever owned

by AF Vet from Orlando on Fri Jan 04 2019

Rides and drives like a Luxury Sports Car. Safest car I’ve ever been in. Best car for the money and an absolute joy to drive

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 17

Our Take on the 2019 Subaru Ascent

The verdict:

Subaru is ahead of the curve when it comes to combining safety, practicality and affordability, but its lineup of five-seaters has left bigger families at the curb – until now. The new 2019 Ascent delivers all those things and has the space larger families need.

Versus the competition:

Other three-row SUVs may be roomier, classier or more fun to drive, but the Ascent’s impressive blend of safety and value is unmatched by many rivals.

The Subaru Ascent looks like a plumped-up version of the Outback wagon and fills the hole in the automaker’s lineup left when the unimpressive Tribeca three-row was axed after the 2014 model year. Compare the Ascent with the Tribeca.

The Ascent is Subaru’s biggest vehicle ever, designed to satisfy larger families with its seven or eight seats. It competes against the likes of the Honda Pilot, Toyota Highlander and Volkswagen Atlas; see them compared. Trim levels for 2018 include base, Premium, Limited and Touring.

Creature Comforts

It’s not just size that matters to families; comfort, safety and convenience features are also key. Yet kids — and dogs and the second-grade class gecko — are often filthy... Read More