NEW
Take our quiz & meet the car you’ll love.
2019 Highlander

2019 Toyota Highlander

#2 Most Popular SUV/Crossover
2019 Toyota Highlander

Have You Driven the 2019 Toyota Highlander?

Drives nice. Entune is a disaster.

by rab from Frederick, MD on Sat Dec 15 2018

I have the Limited Platinum. While the vehicle looks nice and is comfortable over the long-haul, the Entune system is junk. I didn't pick up on that during my test drive(s). The Nav system is pretty much useless as it doesn't give turn-by-turn voice prompts, just a visual readout. I end up using my phone's GPS that is easier to use and actually works. While there is this large central display in the dash for the built-in Nav, it forces you to take your eyes off the road ahead to look for your directions. Some of the menu selections for the Nav system can only be made while you are rolling -- now that was one brain-dead engineer who thought that up. There is a smaller display between the tach and the speedometer with an abbreviated directional prompt, but (again) you have to take your focus off the road to take in what it's showing you. Another little annoyance I spotted today was that the arrival time on the built-in Nav seems to be stuck in daylight savings time while the car's main clock is (correctly) displaying standard time. I won't go into the Entune system any further, there is plenty of griping online, which I wish I had read before I purchased. If you are thinking of whether to go with the 4 or the 6 cylinder, definitely go with the 6. You will get better gas mileage, better acceleration, and a sound that is more pleasing and subdued than the whiney 4. If you think that you might want to tow a trailer at some point you will need the 6 cylinder. The ride is comfortable, and fairly quite. The steering is a bit sluggish. The throttle and 8-speed transmission have a bit of an annoying lag when accelerating out of a sharp turn in city driving. But hey, it's not a sports car and doesn't drive like one. If cargo capacity is a concern, I would suggest getting the the 8-passenger option with the 2nd row 60/40 bench seat. If you get the 7-passenger model with the middle row captain's chairs you are going to have a big gap between them when folded forward. I would like it if Toyota didn't take the cheap route with the Highlander. LED headlights, instead of the marginal Halogens would have been nice. A digital readout for the speedometer, an oil life remaining readout, and a tire pressure monitoring system that actually provides individual tire pressures (instead of an idiot-style notification) would have been nice -- these things are found on much less expensive vehicles. Generally I am happy with the vehicle, with the exception of the Entune disaster. However, if I had a do-over, I would look more closely at the 2019 Subaru Outback with the 6-cylinder which would have saved me $10,000. Though it is only rated for a 2500-lb trailer, that would have been fine for my purposes. And, I could have had Apple Carplay. And, I could have had steerable LED headlights ... <sigh>. I think I rushed into this purchase because of my satisfaction with the Toyota Tundra and a Prius that I once owned. I expected the same level of satisfaction with this Highlander. A note about the reliability rating. I have driven the vehicle for 500 miles and could not possibly have a meaningful rating, but this site requires something there to post a review.

Does not recommend this car!!

Update to my prior review

by rab from Frederick, MD on Wed Jan 02 2019

In my last review I stated that there were no voice prompts from my Nav system, and assumed that Toyota had just botched that aspect of the Nav design. The botched part is still true, in my opinion. However, I am now getting voice prompts. As far as I know, I made no changes to the Entune system setup that would account for the sudden appearance of these Navigation voice prompts. Another Entune mystery, I guess. I would recommend this vehicle with reservations. If I had a do-over I would purchase the "XLE" instead of the Limited Platinum, or look more closely at the Subaru Outback.

Nice SUV, lots of bells and whistles

by castlegirl from Council Bluffs, IA on Mon Dec 17 2018

I'm very obese so it's a little small for me but overall it's a smooth, comfortable, quiet ride. Plenty of room in the back (with the seats down) for both my walker and wheelchair. My last vehicle was a 2005 pickup so I'm kind of overwhelmed at all the gadgets on this vehicle. Makes me crazy trying to figure out which button or knob is for what. All the safety features are nice but I wish I could turn some of them off. Will have to keep reading the manual. Overall tho I'm quite happy with the Highlander XLE. We looked at a lot of different vehicles before buying and this one seemed to fit our needs best. Decent gas mileage, lots of storage, doesn't sit too high or too low to the ground, fairly easy to get in and out of, drives and rides very smoothly, and it's pretty quiet. I'm happy with the 2 years of free regular maintenance and roadside assistance. It's partially what swayed us to buy new instead of used. Well, that and the high resale value on used Toyotas. The new one wasn't that much more than a used one and you get a lot of freebies with a new one. It's going to take me awhile to get used to it but so far we are both pretty happy with it.

Driving Avalons for years and love the highlander

by Steve G from Woodward, IA on Thu Jan 03 2019

We have purchased 8 Toyotas including 3 Avalons. Wife loves the Highlander. Only complaint is going from a Limited Avalon to a Limited Highlander you should not lose safety options. Highlander does not have rain sensing wipers, HID headlights that self level, wireless charging pad, and individual tire pressure monitors. Performance seems lacking compared to same motor in Avalons.

Most Reliable Suv

by Ivan, Minnie and Angelo from Bolingbrook on Tue Jan 08 2019

This car meets our needs. It has more legroom,it's fuel efficient, stylish, quiet, modern and easy to navigate. We bought this car after owning a Lexus RX 300 for 18 years! It certainly has big shoes to fill ...but it has not disappointed us so far.

Highest quality car I’ve owned

by ValLan from Bloomington,Illinois on Thu Jan 03 2019

It had the third row with captain chairs in second row we were looking for. Durable leather was a must have. Plenty of room for growing family

Love My Highlander!

by Jessabeth from Garner, NC on Mon Jan 07 2019

I have NEVER owned a car that I LOVE so much! I love the size and that when I drive it it does not feel too big or drive like a mini van. I also love all of the features and have been VERY pleased with my purchase!

Good Vehicle Ruined By The Entune System

by Chris from NJ from Central NJ on Mon Jan 14 2019

I enjoy driving the Highlander, I think it looks fine but the Entune system is junk. Like another reviewer, my GPS won't "speak to me" with turn by turn directions. The Entune system won't read me my messages or emails. The dealer has been unable to fix it.

Does not recommend this car!!

Luv it so far

by AviatorTom2 from Denton TX on Thu Oct 18 2018

Just purchased our new 2019 Toyota Highlander. We’ve only had it a few days, but Luv it so far. Nice ride, great features, seems to be a good value. Can’t really comment on reliability yet, but with Toyota 2 yr/25,000 mile service and dealer-provided lifetime power train warranty, we’re not worried. This is the 5th Toyota we have owned, and we’ve Luv’ed every one of them!

Best SUV Ever Owned

by Tim P. from Keller, TX on Sun Nov 11 2018

After considering may mid size SUVs we found the Toyota Highlander to be the best quality SUV and for a reasonable price. The interior finish out of the vehicle is superb and it is very comfortable to to drive and ride in. I am also amazed at how "road noise" is almost non existent when you are driving this vehicle.

1 2 3 4