The 2012 Toyota Matrix is a compact hatchback that can carry up to five people and plenty of cargo. It comes in a base version as well as an S trim. The Matrix competes with hatchback versions of the Kia Forte and Mazda3.
There are no changes for 2012.
The Matrix has an aggressive-looking front end that features a bulging hood, thin wraparound headlights and a small trapezoidal grille. Smooth bodyside moldings give the Matrix a modern appearance, and the hatchback’s forward-swept D-pillars enhance the car’s sporty shape.
S models can have an optional Sport Package that features 17-inch alloy wheels, front and rear underbody spoilers and a rear spoiler. Exterior features include:
- Available 16- or 17-inch wheels
- Daytime running lights
- Heated power mirrors
- Available fog lamps
- Available moonroof
Front sport seats and a three-person rear bench seat give the Matrix room for up to five people. The 60/40-split backseat can fold down when more cargo room is needed. Interior features include:
- Available metallic interior accents
- Front passenger seat folds down on S models
- Standard power windows and locks
- Standard cruise control
- Standard CD stereo with MP3 jack
Base models are powered by a 1.8-liter four-cylinder mated either to a five-speed manual or four-speed automatic transmission. The S comes with a 2.4-liter four-cylinder teamed either to a five-speed manual or five-speed automatic transmission.
All models are front-wheel drive except for the specially equipped all-wheel-drive S trim, which uses a four-speed automatic.
The base and front-wheel-drive S models come with a basic rear torsion beam suspension; the all-wheel-drive S model gets a more complex rear double-wishbone suspension. Mechanical features include:
- Standard 132-horsepower, 1.8-liter four-cylinder with 128 pounds-feet of torque
- Available 158-hp, 2.4-liter four-cylinder with 162 pounds-feet of torque
Standard safety features include:
- Front side-impact airbags
- Side curtain airbags
- Active front head restraints
- Antilock brakes
- Electronic stability system
- Traction control