2005 Jetta

2005 Volkswagen Jetta

2005 Volkswagen Jetta

4.1

4 out of 5 stars Value for the Money

Have You Driven the 2005 Volkswagen Jetta?

vw jetta

by volkslubber from newyork, ny on Wed May 04 2011

i feel safe in this vehicle. its got alot of pep, and style. im proud to drive such a great car!!!!!

very good overall

by V dub from on Tue Aug 11 2009

very good in handling. also very strong and durable, pretty fast. very stable on the highway i would definitely recommend Jetta GLIs.

Great Car until it wasn't!

by Bamagrad10 from Lebanon, TN on Thu May 11 2017

Bought the car at 42,000 miles. Perfect condition. Great car with great gas mileage up until 140,000 miles. Now it's a car with great gas mileage that needs something fixed every couple of weeks.

Does not recommend this car!!

Great drive, tough reliability

by VWNigma from on Tue Sep 19 2017

Car had plenty of drive, always had excellent handling and speed even as it aged it didn't seem to diminish. The engine was always solid and never had problems. Heavier than most similar sedans, great in the snow. What mostly bothered me were small hard to diagnose electric problems that VW refuses to warranty even though they are all design flaws that almost every owner of VW seems to encounter.

Love the car, Horrible on gas

by GLI CRZE from Florida on Tue Sep 16 2008

I bought a 2005 jetta GLI 1.8t a few months ago. It was like love at first sight. It looked great, and as soon as I was done test driving it, I bought it on the spot. Now a couple months later, and I still love it, I just have now realized that this car is horrible on gas for a 4 cylinder. It burns gas like a V8 truck. I probably average about 14 mpg. Yea I know, unbelievable.

Has quirks but really great car

by diesel scott from Daytona Beach,Fl on Tue Aug 03 2010

I bought this car new and while I had some recall issues I now have almost 120k on it and beside wear items the only issue that crops up are bulb burn outs and glow plugs. This is my 2nd jetta TDI and its feels no different then when it had 60k or 20k. Be prepared for some quirks for the first 15k and a long break-in period (20-30k) before you get the really good MPG you hear about. As much as I'd love to get in a new one....mine's doing too well not to keep it.

Good car, just what i needed

by JMJ from mobile, al on Wed Sep 07 2011

point blank i needed a car that my wife could pick our kids up from school in. She sits out there for 30 mins idling with the a/c on as the kids get lined up and i feel good about her doing it in the tdi as opposed to my charger or silverado. Even doing this and normal city driving, she still gets a tick over 30 mpg in the tdi. There is enough room in the back with the kids and the kids seats so a success for us no doubt.

3 Years and Not One Maintenance Problem

by JettaLover from Wilmington, North Carolina on Sat Aug 18 2007

I've loved this vehicle since the day I bought it. I'm shocked at the other reviews I've read. I've had no problems whatsoever with my Jetta GLI. I owned the 2000VW Jetta before this one and it was absolutely riddled with problems. VW always fixed things at no cost but it was a pain. I gave them another chance when I saw that '05 would be the last year of the body style I loved (HATE the new one!) and I have no regrets. The molding at the bottom of the car would be my only complaint. It's hard not to scratch it in parking lots or on low curbs but otherwise I have nothing but good things to say. It's fast, fun to drive and it looks awesome.

Great Little Diesel

by Diesel Guy from Latham, MO on Mon Mar 17 2014

The 2005 GLS TDI with 145000 miles was the first car I bought. It was a manual and the first weekend I tore the clutch out (operator error). Loved this car! I got 47 mpg on a road trip with 4 adults and luggage which made my day! Normal highway/ dirt road driving it gets 39-40 consistently. One thing I will warn you about is it sits pretty low and I knocked a hole in the oil pan 3 times on gravel roads before I welded a heavy 1/2" thick aluminum plate to the bottom of the oil pan. DO NOT put a cheap aftermarket cold air intake on these TDIs because it won't run right and the turbo is very finicky about dirt; I ruined mine in this way. And yes, the interior looks nice, especially the black leather like mine, but little things will break like center console lid and glove box latch. It also has some mysterious electrical issues like not recognizing the drivers side door (so sometimes it won't lock remotely and door dinger doesn't work, and every once in a while the passenger door won't unlock). Otherwise, I still love this car! Tip: The older Jetta TDIs (2001-2003) will get 50 mpg.

Most Reliable Car I've Owned

by Das Auto Girl from Canada on Tue Nov 25 2014

Bought my Jetta with 300,000 km and there were only minor things to fix. I have nothing but good things to say about this car. The fuel mileage is AMAZING, I get 1000 km per tank. Another thing I love about this car is the fact that I had rust, which VW replaced for free. One down side about this car are the awkward manual seat adjustments which they have fixed in their 2006 model. If I were to buy another car, it would be a VW Jetta again, no doubt.

1 2 3 4 5

Our Take on the 2005 Volkswagen Jetta

Volkswagen has a lot riding on the 2005 Jetta, an all-new model that was introduced relatively late in the season. The Jetta is Volkswagen's best seller in the United States, accounting for about 40 percent of VW sales, and it is perennially the top "European nameplate sold in the U.S.," Volkswagen says. Note the use of "nameplate," required since this European car is built in Mexico.

This fifth-generation Jetta traces its history to 1980, when the model was introduced here. Since then, Volkswagen has sold more than 2.2 million Jettas in the United States and Canada.

Less cute but more useful than the New Beetle, this new Jetta has a handsome profile that looks just slightly Japanese in general, Mazdalike... Read More