2016 Volkswagen Passat

All Reviews

by from CHarlotte NC on August 10, 2016

Needed a weekend family car as I drive my pick-up truck as a daily commuter. Found this car in the DC Area new with over $6k off of sticker. Made the trip and couldn't be happier. On the drive back from DC to Charlotte NC area got great gas mileage. I was concerned about a 4 cylinder turbo but the car has great pick-up for a car this size. Nice leg room as am slightly over six feet in height. A great car for the money.

by from on April 5, 2017

Went to the dealership with the intent to buy a new Passat R-Line, but ended up buying a used Passat SE. I preferred the smoother ride of the SE. The sunroof was a nice bonus. I love the interior and massive leg room. Decent gas milage, but I miss my TDI milage. The apple Carplay integration is sweet. love the integration of gps, music and amazon music on the in-car screen. Very useful.

by from Longmont, CO on March 27, 2017

The 2016 PASSAT SEL Premium with the 3.6L VR6 engine. Awesome car! The VR6 engine gives me the power when I need it, especially with 4 adults in the car and a trunk full of luggage. I purchased this car because I needed a vehicle with lots or leg and head room in the front and back seats. I have two boys over 6'5" and they now have all the room they need.

by from Louisville, KY on July 25, 2017

I reviewed this car almost one year ago when I purchased. See previous review for The Real Story by VW Fan. I stand by my initial review of the VW Passat SEL Premium V6. The car has only been in the shop ONCE and that has been for scheduled maintenance. Very good commuter and long traveler. Gas mileage for V6 is outstanding. Comfort is great for long or short distances. Still not a head turner-but I don't care. The Passat is a safe, fun, reliable, easy to drive car that still maintains some of the same old traditions that you will only find in the Passat-sporty, family sedan, in a class by itself, doesn't quickly go "out of style". Enjoy. Go test drive one.

by from Baltimore, MD on July 12, 2017

I love the one year old Passat. I felt like a teenager driving it, like I should have been cast on Fast in Furious, and for a 30 plus year old Mom, that was fun but not the car for me, more the car for my teen daughter. With that being said, I would totally trust my teen daughter in this car. Very safe, handles beautifully and the technology ensures that she's keeping eyes, ears, and hands where they need to be. I would completely recommend this car for a new driver as well an experienced driver looking for a sports feel.
Not Rated Reliability

by from Burlington, VT on July 26, 2017

The 2016 Passat underwent a mild refresh, nothing crazy but it does look more substantial. The new infotainment system is pretty great, has Apple CarPlay and Android (I haven't tried Android) and the default SE speakers do the job well enough over road/wind noises. Capacitive touchscreen is good but still has tried and true knobs for quick volume adjustments without looking. The car could use a little more sound deadening, especially at highway speeds, but it's still pretty good. You're not going to outrun anyone with the 1.8 turbo, but turbos are fun and the car doesn't feel slow. The extra boost is noticeable and keeps driving entertaining and fun even on long road trips. I was between an Accord Sport (with a CVT) and the Passat. I chose the Passat for the drive feel over the Accord. It's been about 10 months, ~8000 miles and I'm still very pleased with it.

by from Denham Springs, LA on May 16, 2017

Loved the car, however, two weeks after buying it a17 year old boy, in a large truck, turned directly in front of me and I hit him traveling 45 mph, on his right fender and my left fender on my side of the highway and wrecked my car. But the car did great to protect me and my passenger because both airbags deployed, all curtains came down and our lives were saved by the safety of this car. The motor did not come in on us and the car performed at a 5-star rating. Hopefully I can get another one just like it or newer. Dianna A. Schenk

by from Oxford, Pa on July 15, 2017

Excellent handling power and roominess. The leg room in the back seat is outstanding. The 1.8L turbo has excellent power and the car handles beautifully. This is my second Passat and I will definitely get a third in a few years.

by from Alameda, CA on July 9, 2017

The VW Passat S is an exceptional value and is priced less than many versions of the VW Jetta. The baseline VW Jetta's have hard plastic interiors and are much smaller. In comparison, the VW Passat in base form has softer interiors, more comfortable seats, auto climate control, and a 1.8 Turbo engine. The interior is elegant. It's as though people who purchase the Jetta are subsidizing those who purchase the Passat (I've owned both)! The VW Passat is not really a drivers car...the suspension is soft and feels relatively compliant until you corner hard our hit road bumps. The suspension will lose composure fairly quickly and bob up and down. However, if you don't push it the ride is pleasant and quiet..good value. The brakes are too touchy and VW needs to address this in the next model year. The brakes grab too quickly...it's quite shocking actually, but you can get used to it. The Lease deals on these cars are amazingly low and this makes the Passat a great value.

by from on October 13, 2016

Well....some of the reviews are mixed on the 2016 Passat. As an avid follower of VW and Audi here is the EXPERT Consumer Skinny on this car. I recently purchased a 2016 Passat V6 SEL Premium with every available option. Overall the car is solid and safe. If you love firm comfortable "wrap around" seats you will love this car in the front seats. The front seats could also use a "tilt" option. What can I say about the back seat? It has more leg room than anyone should ever need. Yes this is a family sedan but one with the feel of a more sporty sedan. The navigation system overall is improved from the previous model. The car is responsive and great for commuting-not too big and not too small. Just the perfect size in my opinion. Yes some experts say the steering is uninspiring but I don't find this the case. The V6 does use premium fuel but can use regular unleaded now. The V6 is not as fuel efficient as the 1.8 T but the V6 is very smooth and quick. As for the technology it is simple and easy to use. The driver assistance features are nice too. I love the blind spot monitors-the warning light is not too big and not too small. Just right. The trunk is huge. There are virtually no blind spots in this car. You feel like you are riding in an open space. Is there anything I would like to see changed? Yes I do think there is an over abundance of hard plastic at knee level and below but above knee the materials are high quality and soft. I also would like to see the 2.0 Turbo back at some point in this car. I have mostly opted for the V6 engine over the years. Some expert reviews claim that this car is more expensive to own than similar models in the class. While I do agree to an extent, you have to remember the Passat has always been in a class by itself. No really a traditional family car but not yet a luxury car. You are also paying for the german engineering that you are not getting in those other brands-a price I am willing to pay. The Passat has changed greatly over the last 12 years. The Passat has gotten away from the Passat we know and loved in the 90's to one that is more mainstream and competitive. What we have now is a more Americanized Passat with cup holders but still has german engineering. Also made in America which is a +. The Passat is definitely not a trend setter or flashy eye catcher but what you have is a solid reliable fun to drive car. What do I like most? The fact that VW has maintained the ability to not angle the dash or add a lot of swooping lines to the front interior. It is a timeless piece that will not go out of style as quickly as some of the competitors. Hope you enjoy! Go drive one soon.

Our Expert Review: 2016 Volkswagen Passat