2005 TL

2005 Acura TL

2005 Acura TL

Have You Driven the 2005 Acura TL?

Exciting Car

by Go Buckeyes from Chicago, IL on Fri Dec 11 2009

Recently bought this used. Most impressive feature: very stylish, even after five years. Tons of interior features -- a highly intelligent car. The 270 HP engine accelerates with a snap. Brakes are awesome. Handling feels tight and "European" (a big compliment). Front wheel drive is not for everyone, I suppose, but I like it. Dealing with Illinois winters, I certainly wouldn't want RWD. (Would prefer AWD, which reportedly is available on more recent models . . . maybe someday.) Like the in-dash, six-CD-stack player. Not sure what else the Acura designers should have done with this vehicle. So far, we're extremely pleased with this vehicle, which gets great reliability marks from the consumer guides. Seemingly, a great value.

Best Buy In This Segment

by Pittsburgh TL Lover from Hanover, MD on Fri Sep 03 2010

I love this car! I have the 6 speed with the Brembo Brakes on the front. This car is not necessarily a rocket off the line but it is fast and it reaches speed effortlessly. It is also fun to drive in a spirited manner as it sticks to the road like glue around corners. The car came loaded (premium sound system, bluetooth, navigation and voice activation). I did not care for the Michelin MXMV (?) tires that came with it but I replaced them with Bridgestone Potenza RE 960 AS and they made a noticeable difference in performance and handling. I had some minor issues with the manual transmission initially when shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear. The dealer tried a few different things before switching to GM transmission fluid which did the trick. Mine is Abyss Blue Pearl and I often get complements on the appearance. For you car guys, this is one of those cars that you stop and look back at whenever you park. I purchased mine used in 2007 with 24,000 miles and currently have almost 90,000 on it. I look forward to getting behind the wheel every day and I would recommend this car to anyone who enjoys driving. During spirited driving you may notice some torque steer under heavy acceleration due to the Front Wheel Drive (FWD), however if you live in an area that gets any snow you will truly appreciate the FWD dynamics. Gas mileage is average and premium fuel (91 Octane) is recommended and is all I've ever used, but I've been rewarded with many miles of effortless cruising all while being entertained by the ELS surround sound system. I paid $25K when I bought it used in February of 07 (manual transmissions although a little rare are cheaper in this area) and I have never regretted the purchase. I look forward to many more years of happy motoring in my TL.

first car for son

by srob from mpls, mn on Tue May 24 2011

After looking at other mid to small sedans the Acura TL stood out. Black ext with tan leather int., plenty of pick-up, small enough to minimize blind spots but can hold 4(or 5) comfortably. Small gas tank so the range is low. Haven't figured out mpg yet. Killer stereo, GPS, heated seats. My son is looking at rims and window tint to spice it up. Only have owned car for about two months, no big problems other than the stereo buttons have a mind of their own.

Sleek, smooth and stick shift

by Luck Pusher from San Diego, CA on Fri May 13 2011

I had been eying the 2004-2008 TL for quite some time. I think it has one of the best body styles out there. I looked for MONTHS trying to find a stick shift and truth be told they are super rare. When a 2005 6-speed came up online, I went direct to the dealer after work and bought it. Although the performance is incredible and powerful, the gas mileage is awful. You have to use super premium, which is *extra* expensive on top of the crazy high prices they are already. I get maybe 23 miles to the gallon. But, I figure for it not only being a luxury vehicle it is incredibly reliable. A small price to pay for that piece of mind. Upsides: they also hold their retail value fantastically and have a lot of perks: navi, butt warmers, dual climate control, power everything, etc. A couple of downsides which may seem trivial at first, but actually have become quite inconvenient. There is no light in the glove box. Also, my head rest creates a blind spot when I look over my shoulder, and I had to remove it completely. Although I suppose if you're not 5'4", it may not be problem. Overall, great pick.

acura TL

by acura man from Richmond, Va on Mon Feb 13 2012

I bought this car the day after christmas and have not looked back. The interior is seamless and flows very well. the cd player is very accessible and does not distract you while driving. Bluetooth works well with the Iphone and sounds clear. I would recommend you to go and test drive the car so you can enjoy the same things i have for weeks now.

most reliable car i have owned and fun to drive

by rob from fayetteville, nc on Fri Oct 29 2010

not as fun as the bmw 3 series but way more fun than th merc c class. incredibly roomy in front and back. so many standard amenities that cost extra in bmw or merc. interior styling excellent. acceleration in excellent although there is a little lag on take off. good in hot and cold climate and the front wheel drive is good in snow and rain. only problem is that this cars has oversteer and can eat up some tires really fast. and the gas mileage can suck if you are not careful.

the best!

by bergerhoo from Minneapolis, MN on Sat Apr 17 2010

Though I sold BMWs for 17 years, I now own a TL with 95000 miles, and it is the best all around car I've ever had. No car is perfect, and there are things that could be a little better on the TL, but it doesn't get much better than this. Things that would improve it: Timing chain instead of a belt. Longer wheel base. Less front bumper overhang. More direct road feel.

had one b4

by had one b4 from little rock, ar on Mon Jan 02 2012

this is an awesome car. would buy again in a heartbeat.all the features you could ever want, heated seats, nab, bluetooth, leather, and great pick up, omg?awesome

Best car I've ever had

by Chad, home of New England Sports from Salem, MA on Fri Dec 21 2007

This car is incredible, I have a 2005 with Navigation. I've had navigation in my car before, but none of the others can compare to the quality of this one. It drives like a dream, I love the interior, the exterior, highly recommend it to anyone who can afford it.

Very reliable and stylish car

by Tar236 on Mon Dec 11 2017

I bought a 10-year-old TL with 93,000 miles and it still drives like it’s new. It’s definitely sporty and has a powerful engine, and the interior is very well designed and luxurious. Given the mechanics at the dealership said they see many of these with over 200,000 miles, I plan to be driving it for many years to come.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Our Take on the 2005 Acura TL

When I get a vehicle to test that is so obviously aimed at women and families, I turn to the women in my family for their opinions.

And with the new Acura TL, the verdict from three women in my household -- a wife and two daughters -- was an astounding "Wow! That's a really nice car."

Now, before you Acura fans jump all over me for saying the TL is aimed at women, remember that I said "and families" as well. It's a great family car, and for that reason, a lot of men can be expected to buy it, too.

But as with most of the entry-luxury models such as the TL, Lexus ES 330 and Mercedes-Benz C-class, the majority are purchased either by or for women, and the automakers design the vehicles to appease that... Read More