2014 Volt

2014 Chevrolet Volt

2014 Chevrolet Volt

4.5

Have You Driven the 2014 Chevrolet Volt?

Vin53805

by Corvette owner from Elizabeth Co on Wed May 07 2014

I have been looking at this car for 4 years . We moved 32 miles from my wife's job, so we now needed a commuter car. The 38 EV range always concerned me I wanted at least 50 EV. We purchased a 2014 Volt. I got 51 EV miles going to Costco and back. I drive a Corvette, so I am not considered a conservative driver. My wife is getting closer to 58 EV miles. On my drive of 56 miles roundtrip 51 were EV miles or 90%. We have put 185 miles on the car in 3 days, and our EV miles are at 97%. My wife is able to charge at work, after the drive of 32 miles home still had a 25 EV range when she got home. The cars ability to recapture energy on braking, and down hill is pretty amazing. My wife said the other morning a Tahoe and Camaro RS both passed her on the way to work, and she was right beside them at the light, before they got to work. This is a great car, and has gotten a bad rap. The salesman said he filled the tank with gas, folks I didn't buy the car to use gas. I have a Corvette for that, and it burns gas and rubber very well! LOL

So far / So good

by bigfish4545 from Cape Coral, Florida on Wed Sep 17 2014

I have owned my 2014 Chevy Volt about two months now. Purchased new from a local Chevy dealer. When I purchased the car, the battery was completely depleted so I drove home on the gas engine. Averaged 38 MPG on this trip. I charged the car overnight and haven't used gas since. I traded in a 2011 Toyota Prius for this Volt and I must say the Volt is superior in every way starting with build quality. Chevy advertises 38 electric miles per charge but I am getting more than 40 miles per charge. I have gotten as high as 44 miles but not common. The car is much more responsive than the Prius, actually I would describe it as quick off the line. Fun to drive and sporty. Very quiet. I would prefer to get higher electric only miles but this car suites me well. I expect to buy gas not more than three times a year. I haven't owned this car for long but so far, I love it.

love this car

by Jim from st louis mo on Wed Mar 05 2014

This is my first winter driving the Volt and I'm amazed at how well it handles in the snow. It comes standard with antilock brakes, traction control and stability control. An electric motor works well with traction control because an electric motor reacts instantly to changes in current. It goes in the snow better than any front wheel drive vehicle I've owned.

New favorite

by Nate from Redding, CA on Mon Jun 23 2014

It's a steal. Take the price, subtract the HUGE rebates ($10,000 in my state), subtract the fuel savings over the expected lifetime of the car, and it pays for itself. But it is n't just economical - it's FUN! I mean crazy fun! With a/c cranking and three people in the Volt, it rockets away from a stop to about 40mph. The technology is fabulous (as in, "I need to write fable about it") and it handles all kinds of things automatically, yet logically. I didn't like its appearance when I saw it online, but go see one in person, especially red. It's sporty and gets looks. Why would anyone buy a hybrid when this is available? They THINK the Volt costs more (no) and that it only gets 37 mpg (no, that is after 40 electric miles that cost 1/4 the gas miles). Most days I drive less than 4o miles and use no gas at all.

The Volt Rocks!!

by tripowergto from Rockin' Rowland PA on Sun Feb 09 2014

The Volt driving experience is very normal overall, much like your typical everyday sedan. Performance while running on generator power is better then anticipated and electric drive torque is exceptional.

Truly a homerun for GM

by Tim Tim from Decatur, MI on Wed Sep 10 2014

I live in Michigan and bought my Volt on 11-22-13. Since purchasing the Volt I have put 23,000 miles on the vehicle, not a small number. The winter months truly have an impact on my average MPG numbers (winter is a killer on MPG). Since my purchase I'm averaging a lifetime of 65.6MPG; with the latest 13,200 miles giving me an average of 86MPG (honest numbers). I've only had to change my oil once and currently have a life expectancy of 78% on the newest filter - probably another 10,000 miles. The pickup and go is amazing, especially in the sport mode; so much so, it even made my 18 year old nephew smile. The vehicle has given me an education on the wastefulness of my prior driving habits. I find myself constantly striving to get to the next milestone. First it was 60MPG, then 65, then 70; I'm now strive to hit the 90MPG mark before my next oil change. Yes, I realize I'm paying to charge the vehicle every evening, about $1 to $1.50 per day increase in the electric bill. I can deal with that and share all that is good with the vehicle to all who will listen. Most are amazed when I tell them I'm currently at 86MPG. I have even charged multiple times at certain locations for free (free electric = free miles = free money - too cool). I find two negatives on the Volt. First, the back seats are tight. Accommodating my six year old has me moving the driver seat up - pinching even my leg room. Secondly, I wish GM would buy into the 440 charging technology (someone else has that market). I find it difficult locating 220 charging stations, but 440 charging is just a coffee shop away. Overall the Volt is an amazing vehicle and a true homerun for GM.

I'm shocked.

by jasbeagle from Metro Detroit on Sun Jun 01 2014

I'm 62 and retired years ago. Up until now I had a Buick Rendezvous and a little Saturn. I still have them both but let my daughter and her husband use the Saturn. I thought it was time to get a new car as the Buick is 11 years old. It drinks gas and just driving here and there with it cost me a lot. I test drove the Volt and fell in love with this vehicle. I purchased it May 19th and I'm still learning how to use all the functions. It drives and handles so well it's hard not to love it. After about 2 weeks now of driving this I am getting a 240 charger for the garage to speed up the charge time. This is the best car I've ever purchased for my needs. I've only heard the engine start up because the engine hadn't been started in so long the car asked if it could start it for 10min. I pressed ok and it started and i could hardly hear it. I had to get out of the car to listen to it. I'm really very happy that I purchased this car and would recommend this car to anyone. You won't be sorry.

Proud owner of a hybrid electric car

by Go electric from Milpitas, CA on Mon Dec 23 2013

I love my new Volt. The silent power, smooth acceleration and handling, excellent safety features and ratings, low maintenance requirements, high automation and diagnostic reporting capability and saving on gas combined with the low price after federal and state rebates makes it a really nice car to own.

Completely in love

by ddsy430 from Tacoma, WA on Mon Apr 07 2014

I've been researching new cars for quite a few months. I love my little suzuki and it gets great gas mileage, but it was time to upgrade. I was really leaning towards a hybrid, but they all look very weird to me. I really wanted a sexy little car that could still fly on the highways but get good gas mileage. That's how I came across the Volt. Honestly, I was a little worried at first, as it was an electric vehicle, and I do occasionally (though not often) make long trips to visit family. However the salesperson assured me I would not be disappointed. So, after looking at the car online and at the dealership several times, I finally took the plunge. Best decision ever. I love, love, love this car! So far, I have only had to fuel up once, and that was because I made a 600 mile round trip drive. Other than that I have been strictly on electric. I am going to be saving hundreds of dollars each month on gas. I love that is has the gas back-up so I don't have to experience range anxiety. It has great get-up-and-go, some amazing features (I'm still discovering them), and is comfortable and practical. It's a sexy little car, and I feel sexy driving it, especially knowing that I am doing the environment a favor at the same time!

This car is fantastic

by Ihab from FL on Sun Feb 12 2017

I bought a 2014 Chevy Volt couple of month ago and I love it. The Volt is a very impressive very quiet and smooth car, it drives like a bigger car! If you were thinking of buying electric, hybrid or ANY car in the same size category this IS the car. The fuel consumption is minimal as you can always have a full charge in 8 hours with the home charging at 12 amps, but that is not only what I will buy the car for, it is built well, the panel is easy to read and all systems are easy to deal with. The music system is great and you can enjoy it as the car is not only quiet but no engine vibration. Great value for money if used and in good condition. I love it and thanks for Chevrolet for the innovation. Go and get yourself one. NB mine has the premium package

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Our Take on the 2014 Chevrolet Volt

Although the Chevrolet Volt has received a big price cut, it still retains its novel extended-range electric car abilities — as well as its poor visibility, questionable touch-sensitive panels and cramped interior.

It's been a while since we got a close look at the Chevrolet Volt, General Motors' original plug-in EV hybrid electric car. It's a novel hatchback that debuted to mixed reviews from the press and public a few years ago, and in that time the Volt has received only a few minor updates — things like achieving another 3 miles of electric-only range due to deeper use of the lithium-ion batteries, a few new colors, a rear armrest for the backseat passengers — and not much else... Read More