Find out if this car is the best match for you.
2013 Explorer

4.4

Have You Driven the 2013 Ford Explorer?

Does it's job well!

by Grown-up Zorro, with wife & 3 kids from Allentown, PA on Sun May 15 2016

I've owned this SUV for exactly 3 years. I still love it. I would buy it again tomorrow if I had to. It's a comfortable ride and handles well. Cons: Tight space for a driver over 6ft tall. I'm 6'3" and my R knee rubs against the center console. The driver's visibility is also limited on the car's flanks and sides by car design, but not a game changer. Also, the SUV doesn't have a lot of schwoop off the line. It tends to be sluggish and is sometimes frustrating when trying to pick up speed quickly and the transmission takes an extra second to downshift. I do wish the gas tank was larger, as I feel I'm making trips to the gas station often. I'm not spending more money, just more time filling up. Pros: The pros definitely outweigh the cons. It's a comfortable ride on the road with the chassis of the Taurus. However, unlike other vehicles that call themselves SUVs but are really road-cars with AWD, the Explorer still gets you to where you want to go in the elements. I've had my Explorer camping, in 33" of snow, in mud and loose debris. The intelligent 4WD responds to any traction issues. The Explorer "walks" on the snow and does a phenomenal job getting me to work (I don't have the luxury of calling off even if it's the apocalypse). I have yet to try it in sand at the beach. The interior is fairly spacious, and the cargo capacity behind the 2nd row is great. I have 3 kids (5, 3, and 1 y/o) who can all fit in the 2nd row with carseats if we go on a long trip, so we can load up toys, suitcases, pack-n-plays, strollers. Normally the kids sit in the 3rd row and have no problem getting into their carseats back there. There's carseat latches all over the place! The ride is fairly quiet and solid, which is added security for my wife's comfort. The exterior design is nice and easy to get into the vehicle. The ruby red outside gets it a lot of complements. The navigation system is fairly spot on and despite what the "expert reviews" say, I'm a fan of MyFordTouch. It's rarely malfunctional, and occasionally boggy, but it's very occasional, and resolves itself quickly. The sound quality on the base XLT model is so-so because there's only 6 speakers. Not a big deal. There's a fair amount of safety mechanisms we don't even know are present on the XLT 4WD model (i.e. always-active intelligent 4WD, curve management, etc). I've towed 3,000 lbs with this SUV and despite it struggling to maintain fast speeds uphill, it performed well overall with the weight. Overall, as a 31 y/o guy with a wife (who loves driving this) and 3 small kids, I did everything I could to avoid getting the inevitable van. The Explorer meets my needs, is safe, solid, and I would do it all over again.

Wife LOVES her 2013 Explorer, which make me happy.

by MustangMuse from Thompsons Station, TN on Wed Jan 09 2013

After considering a mid-sized car for efficiency, we decided that our life-style still required more room and flexibility. Safety, design, innovation, efficiency and quality topped our list. We also whittled out government bailed out companies and automakers based in countries unfriendly to USA competition (Japan and South Korea). One may say we knocked out a lot of options. What is really important to you? We believe we still have the best product without compromising on our expectations and values. The safety features on this vehicle are numerous and operate seamlessly with little detection (like AdvanceTrac and traction control). I think the automotive press may consist of too many low tech capable reviewers - the SYNC, radio, comfort controls and navigation are quite simplistic to control and operate well. We are still enjoying the discoveries of what this SYNC system is capable of performing. With this 7-seat vehicle, we are now able to participate in baseball and youth group car pools. The kids love to ride in the Explorer versus the other low-tech beheamoths and dreaded mini-vans. There are plenty of power outlets for the game devices and enough cup-holders to limit thirst and messes. Perhaps the best value is the XLT model with the Driver Connect Package and Comfort Package along with 20-inch wheels and Navigation. You get leather and just about everything else that comes in the Limited trimmed models for significantly less money. Both my wife and I are impressed with how our 3.5 liter V6 Explorer drives. It is easy to manuever and rides so smoothly. And again, it is just one of the safest, best looking and economical 7-passenger vehicles available to transport your family and friends. Drive one!

Love it.

by Air Force John from Dallas, TX on Mon Aug 06 2012

We bought our Explorer about a month ago and have love it. The ride is awesomely smooth with little road noise. The handling is very responsive. The MFT is great - make sure you get the Gen3 update though. Fuel mileage is really a plus considering we were driving an 2006 Expedition. Not 100% sure why they moved some of the items on the vehcile though. For example, the fuel tank is now on the right and the wideshield wiper controls are on the right of the steering wheel - minor inconviences. Great Vehcile.

Love it but gas mileage and range suck

by Domer -- Go Irish!!! from Fishers, IN on Thu Feb 19 2015

Reluctantly traded my 2014 Range Rover Sport which was BEST car I've ever owned. Better than any of the BMWs or GMC Denalis or Suburbans I've owned. Needed to save money but still have a sporty look and feel. Really like the Explorer BUT the gas tank is WAY undersized and am only getting about 15 MPG on the Sport. Hate having to fill up every 225 miles. Love the power. This is actually faster than the RR Sport. Also like the My Sync/control center. It's intuitive and easy to use. Also like the roomier 3rd row seat. Overall, for half the money of my RR Sport, it's a great SUV.

First new car I have purchased.

by Vehicle need overall from Rochester, NY on Sun Mar 17 2013

I purchased this vehicle mainly for my wife. It is the style she, and I, wanted in a vehicle. As opposed to the Escape, size and ride wise. I will use it when I require 4 wheel drive for my work, as needed. The mileage is what was expected but will fullfill our needs. Average 19.5 mpg. We drove it on three trips immediately, within 6 days. 400, 600, and 1500 miles. No problems. The Myfordtouch is NOT complicated as to what some reviews say and I am not technical savy. Just get familar with it like anything else. She & I are very satisfied with this purchase and would recommend it. I have a Lincoln T. C. with 315000 miles and had another with 185000.

We might want to buy this one!

by Used as a rental car from Sultan, WA on Wed Jul 23 2014

We were on our 2 Harley's across country (for 1 month) when an idiot driver stopped on the freeway I(In NYC) and made a hard right ... right into us as she realized she missed her exit. Our vacation was over at that point. We had to ship our bikes home and rent a car to get us home. We rented a 2014 Ford Explorer Limited and completely fell in love with it. It ran beautifully. The interior was very roomy. I got to drive the entire 3,000 trip home while my husband was laid up in the back seat with his broken leg. He was very comfortable sitting there the entire trip. I loved the backup camera. I loved the side mirrors (with the little mirror in it showing traffic to the side of the car). We are now shopping for this car since we have to return this rented one.

My second explorer

by msaspen1 from Jefferson Hills, Pa. on Wed Jun 25 2014

I recently purchased a 2013 Ford Explorer and I am very pleased with it. For 15 years I drove a 1998 explorer and I was always so happy with it. I am a Ford Lady for sure, and I hope this newer explorer gives me years of enjoyment. Not the best in gas mileage, and I will never use the third seat, but for the money, I received a quality vehicle that makes me feel safe.

by First time Explorer from Lincoln, NE on Mon Mar 21 2016

Just bought the vehicle recently. Really not alot for me to say. Drivers compartment is tight and I am an average sized person. The seat has alot of adjusting, so you can make it comfortable for about anyone. Drives nicely. Have not had a chance to drive it on the snow yet, so unsure how the 4WD works. The touch screen is awesome. Makes it easy to control the functions of the vehicle. Easy to learn. Would have to agree on a review I read. The fuel tank is small, have to refill often. So far I like the vehicle.

Ford Explorer a good experience

by old john from Canada on Sun Mar 27 2016

Bought my Ford Explorer EcoBoost 2L FWD at 2013 and owned this car for almost 4 happy years. Twice had same issue of back brakes sticking which meant going to Ford mechanic to fix/replace parts there. They fixed it first time after 1.5 years and then it happened again after about another 1.5 years. Other then that it was very reliable. The 2L EcoBoost engine was a huge surprise for how well it worked, very smooth and very reliable and as important relatively good on gas at about 7.5 KM per Liter in city and 10KM per liter on highway. Its also surprisingly quick for such a heavy big vehicle and such a small engine, modern technology really is amazing. Only thing I missed on it was the lack of AWD but that's my fault and not Ford. Just traded in my explorer for a 2014 Acadia AWD and first thing I felt was how much faster and quicker my Explorer feels compared to the Acadia, as I said the EcoBoost engine really feels like a modern marvel and the one thing I liked more then anything else in my Explorer.

smoothest and most quiet ride I've driven

by explorer chic from queens NY on Tue Sep 04 2012

The 2013 Ford Explorer is beyond my expectations. It was very well thought out. The ride is smooth the interior comfort is great. I would recomemd this car to all my friends.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 16

Our Take on the 2013 Ford Explorer

If only for the sheer fun of barreling down the road in a turbocharged V-6 SUV, the Ford Explorer Sport brings welcome fun to the Explorer nameplate for 2013. The new Sport trim level adds the third and most powerful engine to the Explorer lineup, which helps it hustle past other three-row SUVs — even the few that still offer V-8s. It returns respectable EPA gas mileage and improves on lesser Explorers' mediocre handling. The Sport does for the Explorer what hot sauce does for wings.

Though its range of efficient engines is unmatched among SUVs, lingering issues diminish the 2013 Ford Explorer's appeal.

Those shortcomings had the SUV in a tie for last place in our $37,000 SUV... Read More