2008 Patriot

2008 Jeep Patriot

3.9

4 out of 5 stars Interior Design
4 out of 5 stars Reliability

Have You Driven the 2008 Jeep Patriot?

A Great, But Leaky Vehicle

by Joe from Edinburg, TX on Thu Mar 27 2008

I bought my 4X2 Patriot Sport in October 2007 and when I first washed it guess what? It leaked from the cargo area dome light. According to a Jeep forum, the issue is not very rare. I had to take it to the dealer twice to fix it and they had to replace the headliner as it got a water stain. Ohter than that it climbs over street curbs easily and rides over bumps smoother than a full size truck.

Solid 4wd and fuel economy

by Snowbound from Boston, MA on Tue Jan 01 2008

I wanted 4wd, but didn't want to guzzle gas. The 2008 Patriot is a great mix of both. I'm getting about 28 highway and maybe 24-25 around town. The 4wd is solid Jeep. I've been up to Maine a few times and through plenty of snow and dirt roads with no problems. I got the 5-speed manual because I like the control; plus test-driving the CVT was weird - I doubt it's for everyone. The Patriot is not exactly overpowered, no doubt the price one pays for fuel economy, but with the ability to downshift, the pick up is just fine. The ride is very comfortable and quiet. The interior is basic, but the features (standard cruise control, inside 12v jack, MP3 plug, stability control, fold-flat seats, hard rubber cargo well) are practical and of good quality. I like the look of it, too; it's modern, but not too modern. Overall, I highly recommend the Patriot and plan to drive it the distance!

Nice first vehicle.

by Brett from Kansas on Fri Aug 28 2009

I bought my Jeep Patriot brand new a year and a half ago. It has been a very nice vehicle that gets me from point A to point B just fine, though it often does not have the get-up-and-go that I am looking for. It has been a reliable Jeep, but did stall on me once at a traffic light (though it did restart right away). I would recommend this to my friends or anyone who does not mind having a smaller engine.

Very relaible transportation

by jeep Enthusiast from South, Texas on Sun Feb 23 2014

I bought this vehicle new in late 2008, it has 120,000 miles as of January 2014. I have done required maintenance. Only problem had to replace alternator at 108,000. There are no rattles and it is holding up very well. It went in for the 5 year warranty check recently no problems found. I bought this vehicle because I drive a lot and it get better gas mileage than my Dakota pickup. I am a big guy and it is easy to get in and out of, and is very comfortable to sit in for long rides. I have made trips from California to Texas and back, 3 adults and a 15 year old plus luggage. I would recommend this vehicle without reservation.

I'd Never Own Anything Other Than a Jeep Again

by Patriot Fanatic! from Syracuse, NY on Sat Nov 22 2008

I recently traded in my Volkswagen GLI for a new Jeep Patriot. I was looking for something with more room that handled better in the snow. Even though the dealer assured me I was downgrading, I think I upgraded big time. The seats in the Jeep are actually more comfortable than the Jetta, it handles amazingly in the snow (my husband claims better than any other Jeep and we have owned 4) and for the base model it has great ammenities such as 4wd, ac and a temperature display. If you are looking for a luxury vehicle this isn't it, but if you enjoy the old jeep style, reliability and a great value you should definitely purchase this car!

ALOT of car for the money

by paul from ann ARBOR, MI on Tue Mar 25 2008

Great car. I have the manual shift which I REALLY like. The manual shifts are hard to find & they get better mileage.

Sporty yet adorable

by Jeeper from KS on Wed Jul 03 2013

Not sure why, but I've wanted a Jeep since I was little and glad I finally got it! Drives great, and big but not big. Was expecting it to have more features to it (auto windows/locks/mirrors) since it's not an old car, but overall thrilled with it and already added auto locks, no big deal.

Most reliable car I've owned

by Tucker-Love from Seaside, Monterey, California on Sun Jul 30 2017

I loved my 2008 Jeep Patriot, bought with less then 200 miles on it in 2010. Great vehicle. Great vehicle.

CHANGE OF PACE

by JEEPERS from EAST TEXAS on Fri Jan 30 2009

THE LITTLE JEEP PATRIOT IS NICE, ECONOMICAL IN PRICE AND MPG. COMFORTABLE INTERIOR. NOT A RACE CAR BUT RELIABLE SO FAR. SEATS ARE EASY ON THE BACK/GOOD BACK SUPPORT. THE APPEARANCE INSIDE AND OUT ARE CLEAN LINES AND ATTRACTIVE. HANDLES WELL.

Good enought for this money

by Fanel from Ajman, U.A.E. on Sun Apr 06 2008

Everything is great, except: 1. Lazy engine 2. Strange noise when the fan is in the 2 position. 3. Cowling vibration when overtaking a truck! Due to this some minor unevennesses appear on the surface. 4. On high speed the engine is too noisy.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Our Take on the 2008 Jeep Patriot

Editor's note: This review was written in February 2007 about the 2007 Jeep Patriot. Little of substance has changed with this year's model. To see what details are different this year, check out a side-by-side comparison of the two model years.

As a car-based yet offroad-capable model, the Patriot, Jeep's newest SUV, is exactly what the brand and its buyers need, for three reasons. One: It's long overdue, because the heavy-duty Liberty and Wrangler weren't built to challenge light, unibody compacts, which got their start 10 years ago. Two: Its gas mileage estimates are impressively high, and that's an important characteristic for a company that only builds SUVs. Three: It's attractive enough to... Read More