The Kia Soul is a boxy compact hatchback with room for five people. The Soul comes with front-wheel drive and a choice of two four-cylinder engines. A manual and an automatic transmission are offered, and competitors include the Mini Countryman and Mitsubishi Outlander Sport. Kia also sells an all-electric Soul EV that is covered separately in the Cars.com Research section.
Three price levels are available, a base model, Plus and Exclaim. The base model uses a 1.6-liter four-cylinder engine and either a six-speed manual or six-speed automatic transmission. The others come with a 2.0-liter four-cylinder and the automatic transmission.
A new audio system with a 4.3-inch touch-screen and rearview camera is standard on the Plus and Exclaim and optional on the base model. A new Designer Collection available on the Plus includes two-tone paint (white with a red roof or red with a black roof) and 18-inch alloy wheels. Leather seats are standard on the Exclaim, and forward collision and lane departure warning systems are newly available features included in the Premium Package for the Exclaim. The Exclaim’s Premium Package also includes a navigation system with an 8-inch screen, ventilated front seats, a panoramic sunroof with a power sunshade, and a heated steering wheel.
- Front bucket seats and 60/40-split folding backseat
- Air conditioning
- Power windows and locks
- Power side mirrors
- Bluetooth connectivity
- Driver-selectable steering assist
- Required in every new car: front airbags, antilock brakes and an electronic stability system
- 130-horsepower, 1.6-liter four-cylinder engine (base model)
- 164-hp, 2.0-liter four-cylinder (Plus, Exclaim)
- Six-speed manual transmission (base) or six-speed automatic
- Stop-start technology
- Panoramic moonroof
- Xenon high-intensity-discharge headlights
- Leather upholstery
- Heated front and rear seats, ventilated front seats
- Keyless entry with push-button start
- Navigation system with 8-inch display