2002 SC 430

2002 Lexus SC 430

2002 Lexus SC 430

Have You Driven the 2002 Lexus SC 430?

No regrets...

by LexusLover Convert from Houston, TX on Fri Jan 15 2010

I absolutely love this car. I used to not be a fan of Lexus, but then I bought a 1999 GS400 (still have because it is still awesome). When I was financially able to handle an 'extra' car, I had to have one of these. I did not even consider soft tops. I could ramble about the reliability and features, but you can read that anywhere. Instead, a few considerations for negative reviews you might come across: (1) the rear seats are NOT worthless. I am 6'. My wife 5'5". My two boys, 11 and 9, fit fine in the back seat. No, we won't take a 6 hour drive in this car with kids, but runs to the games or beach or store or whatever we do 95% of the time, it works. And, when we want to take it just the wife and I, the back seat holds PLENTY of luggage while the trunk holds the roof! Can't do 4 adults, though. But, what hardtop convertible can? Those are just now starting to hit the market in 2010...and priced accordingly. (2) Get rid of the run-flat tires. The SC suspension is the same ACCLAIMED suspension of other Lexus models. The SC I bought had some really wide 20" rims that I thought I would be taking off immediately becuase of noise and ride harshness. To my utter surprise, these are quieter and smoother than my GS with 18's. I am still trying to figure that out. Yes, you will be without a spare. But, consider, how many flats have you had? Your neighbors? Your friends? Tires are very reliable, and will rarely surprise you with a flat if maintained. And, on the rare occasion you do get a flat while driving, chalk it up as a mechanical failure and call a tow truck. (3) If you prefer a more sporty, more BMW-like ride, simply convert all the front bushing to polyurethane. The car handles great, and cost is low. I've done this to both of my Lexus. (4) For those critical of the looks, all I can say is change the OEM wheels. There are tons of online pictures. The car will tend to look 'boaty' with the original OEM wheels. Since you are changing out the OEM tires anyway, might as well get some wheels that have more offset and fill the wheel well a little more.

Dream car

by Kevin4455 from Raleigh, NC on Mon Apr 17 2017

Hard to believe this car is 15 years old. There are not many cars that you can purchase today and sell for as much as (or more than) you bought it for a few years from now; with this car you can. But why sell it? It's fast, luxurious and a real head turner. The look is timeless, the Mark Levinson sound system is amazing. Gets attention everywhere you go. I purchased my 2002 SC430 used with 104,000 miles and it runs like new. Unlike a BMW, there's not an ounce of worry about reliability. I know, my daily driver is a 1999 Lexus GS400 with 225,000 miles. But if you're like me, you're looking at an SC430 as a weekend or special occasion vehicle. This car delivers in all respects. The best part is, since they stopped making them years ago you don't see many of them on the road. Buy one, you won't be disappointed!

Best car I've ever owned

by JoeCA from on Fri Feb 03 2017

I've had my 2002 Lexus SC430 for over 10 years. Other than normal mainentance (tires, oil, belts, battery) at appropriate times, the car has operated flawlessly for over the entire period. With over 150,000 miles now, I have no doubt it can do another 150,000.

Drop Dead Beautiful

by Mr Limo from Chicago, Il on Sun May 06 2012

I drive for a living and have owned 9 SL's. Last was an '07. This one is just as much fun for a whole lot less money. Bought a 2002 with 212,000 miles. Now on 230K and two years and haven't spent a dime on repairs. Great head turner too. Women love these toys. I like the fact that noone knows the model year. Now I keep the car note money in my pocket instead of giving it to Benz credit. Also own an '07 ES 350 that just runs and runs. Lexus knows how to build dependability. Stop, Drop and Roll

ultimate coupe, better than new cars in its class

by mr2nole from GREENSBORO on Fri Jan 20 2017

I have driven pure sports cars most of my life and buying this car was the ultimate progression It still has sports car power and handling with unbelievable comfort. I still own a 350z,mr2 and a miata,so I feel like I have it all. Great car with a truely unique body style . All the dissenters really don't get it. This car is bullet proof. Have friends with Bmw's,Jags,Benzs, that stay in the shop all the time. Keep em ! Run flats are the only gripe.

Best built car I have ever owned

by Ridge Walker from Indio on Wed Aug 28 2019

Everything lines up and fits! No sloppy assembly anywhere. Seats are finely stitched leather and have held up well for being 17 years old! Lots of pep when needed. Loads of complements on the exterior color. Very popular, head-turner here in the Coachella valley. Great retirement present to myself!

My bucket list car....

by LIttle Old Lady in her sports car from Fort Smith, Arkansas on Thu Nov 08 2018

Years ago, when they first came out, my jaw dropped! It was the most beautiful car I had ever seen. I made a promise to myself that, one day, I would own one. That day came about 7 years ago when I purchased a 2002 SC 430, it had 114,000 miles on it. Having Lexus's in the past, the mileage was of no concern. This is a fun, let me repeat, FUN, car to drive, and even though it is now 16 (!!!) years old, it still turns heads, has the paint job of a car almost new, and I still get tons of compliments on it where ever I drive. Actually, this car is a dream on long trips, you may have to pack lighter than normal, but even after putting on 600-700 miles per day, you get out of the sports car and feel like you sat in a luxury sedan all day. At 151,000 miles, we are replacing some minor parts, but, overall, the car still feels solid and handles extremely well. Get rid of the run flat tires, and pick yourself out a nice set of rims, and you are good to go.

Classy, Sophisticated,Unique, Sporty Luxury Coupe

by Lexus Fan For Life from Charlotte NC on Wed Oct 30 2019

I have own several Lexus models and you have to own a SC430 to really appreciate what it really is. It is more than just another luxury car. This car is for the individual that appreciates being different, refined, unique, mysterious, fun and professional all at the same time. You can not put this car or the individual that owns it in a box. In one word the SC430 is Special in the best sense of the word.

outstanding fun car

by car buff 43 from Hot Springs, Arkansas on Mon Aug 07 2017

Loved everything except back seat, too small for even a child over about 5 years old, but what a car for a single person, luxury looks and performance, very reliabel my choice over a vette!

I loved the style of this car

by Seagal from Seattle, WA on Tue Dec 12 2017

I loved the look and feel of the SC430. The interior was just as sleek as the exterior. A couple of things that I didn't like was that the run-flat tires ride really rough! I ended up changing them for regular tires - which can be an issue if you get a flat because there is no spare tire. The truck is pretty roomy, so I would keep a spare in there, but there wouldn't be much room for anything else. The car had great getup and go, but cornered like a tank. If you are looking for a stylish cruiser, it's perfect! I would still have this car, but I moved to where it rains all of the time, so I wouldn't be driving with the top down very often.

1 2 3 4 5 6