2013 Mazda3

2013 Mazda Mazda3

2013 Mazda Mazda3

Have You Driven the 2013 Mazda Mazda3?

Great Little Car

by Psi 5 from Fairfax, VA on Mon Jun 09 2014

Needed a car for my daughter to learn to drive. Had to be a manual transmission, inspire confidence when driving, safe, and reliable. Compared and test drove all the usual suspects (Civic, Corolla, Jetta, Mazda 3) and bought the Mazda. Everyone values different things about cars so here are the criteria I used (in order) and comments on each car for them. I didn't consider features (all can be spec'd out to have what you want), price (all are similarly priced after aggressive negotiation), and all are safe and reliable. 1. Handling - Mazda: very crisp, responsive, and stable - Jetta: solid, German-style handling, firm - Civic : not as balanced as they used to be, more towards comfort that handling - Corolla: squishy, soft, flaccid 2. Performance - Mazda: best engine/transmission combo by far - Civic: best clutch, silky smooth - Jetta: best engine, strong throughout - Corolla: meh all around 3. Styling/ergonomics - Mazda: polarizing exterior (I like it), quality interior materials, and very comfortable - Toyota: boring exterior, best interior design, seats OK - Civic: handsome exterior, weird interior and cheap materials Jetta: totally anonymous exterior, very cheap interior materials Conclusion: - Mazda: best combo of handling, performance, efficiency, and design with quality materials and construction - Civic: did not buy mostly because of the build quality, handling biased toward comfort, and average performance - Jetta : did not buy because of the build quality, cheap interior materials, boring style - Corolla: did not buy because of the poor handling, weak engine, mediocre transmission, and really boring design In the end, the Mazda offered the best combination of what I valued. Over the first month of ownership, it has not disappointed. Solid, stable, decent performance, excellent handling, and terrific fuel economy. For context, our family car is a Honda Odyssey so I was biased toward Hondas but the Civic didn't quite cut it. (the Odyssey is a far superior Honda vehicle) . My car is a BMW 3 series and the Mazda was the closest to it in terms of handling, performance, and stability. If you value comfort and mainstream design over performance and style, the Mazda might not be your first choice but it was mine by a mile.

2013 Mazda 3i Touring Hatchback

by Tiger's Uncle from Dallas, TX on Sun May 05 2013

Quiet, comfortable ride. The original equipment Bridgestone Turanzas are slugs-take your foot off the gas and the car stops dead. The manufacturer's recommendation is to inflate to 36 psi. I have them inflated to 39 psi and it's much better. Thinking about going to 40 psi. However, at 39 psi the handling is great. I've gone about 1400 miles and I'm getting 33 mpg in town and 38 on the highway (EPA rating is 27 and 39). The trunk is much smaller than I anticipated. (My last car was a 2002 Acura RSX and the trunk was huge!). Very narrow back window and it's even further restricted by the 3rd brake light, which is right in the center, at the top. I wish they would go back to a regular key, instead of a "proximity key" that you keep in your pocket. There are about 80 pages of instructions as to how to use the key-which I hope to finally finish reading by the time I sell the car 10 years from now. I also have to go back to the book to figure out all the intricacies of the heating and cooling systems. Fit and finish is very good. Very few squeaks and no rattles. Doors close with a reassuring "thunk." Seems like a well put together vehicle. Overall, I'm pleased, so far.

Very fun car for the money

by Mazda Memphis from Memphis, Tennessee on Wed May 20 2015

My job situation required me to downgrade from a two year old Camaro SS to something cheaper with good gas mileage. I bought a new manual trans Honda Civic and it was OK but seemed unstable on the highway and had basically no pickup. After about a year, I saw a friend of mine driving a Mazda 3 and I decided to go test drive one. What a huge difference from the Civic. Traction control, wider tires, much better pickup, smooth manual 6 speed, much funner car to drive. The Civic had a far better entertainment system than my Mazda, but the Mazda also has a USB port and it does the job well enough. Having the Camaro spoiled me as far as speed and pickup goes but the Mazda does a great job for a 150 HP engine. Not much torque but the 6 speed manual trans allows you to pull ahead when you need to gun it for whatever reason. The Honda could NOT do that at all. Trunk space is large and the back seat is plenty big for my kids. I drive almost all city and the gas mileage readout after a year tells me that the average is 32 mpg, exactly like my Honda said after a year. If you need an inexpensive car with good pickup, a very stable ride, and great gas mileage, you cant go wrong with the Mazda 3. I can definitely see why they say, zoom zoom.

Great Car

by STL MAZDA MAN from STL on Wed May 14 2014

My only complain with this car is the steering wheel. With that said, it's a really great car! My recommendation is to test drive this car if you are thinking to buy. The wheel has a few uncomfortable edges on it, but it may just be my driving style. As I knew when I was purchasing this car, it has a sporty ride. It corners well, but it has to compromise ride comfort a bit.

Best car ever ...

by lobster642002 from Valparaiso In on Fri Jan 10 2014

Purchased my 2013 Mazda 3 about 9 months ago. My average gas Millage is 38 50/50 city and hwy . Great in the snow . Easy Bluetooth , radio great . I stream my music through the Bose system , Sounds great. Comfy seats , heated . Large trunk space.

Sporty and fun to drive!

by Linda S. from Dayton, OH on Wed Jul 11 2018

Excellent choice for me! I'm retired and needed a very reliable vehicle that I can count on. This car by far exceeds my expectations. Safety is covered with features such as roll bars, side impact, front impact and overhead airbags. Stylish interior with features at your fingertips and the BOSE system with ten speakers is amazing!

This is our 3rd Mazda 3 in the family.

by Don D. from Columbiana on Fri Jul 14 2017

We now have 3 Mazda 3's in the family. A 2007, 2012, and now the 2013. We chose the Mazda 3's because of the low cost maintenance and reliability and dependability.

Wow car

by Ahab from Oracle, Az on Mon Nov 11 2013

Have had this I Grand Touring for 9 months now and have put 10k miles on it with no problems or complaints. First new car we've bought with all the goodies on it. Gas mileage is super and I like the 6 speed automatic that is the smoothest I've ever had. This car drives like a sports car so if you want a limo like feel it may not be to your liking.

snappy little car good gas mileage

by porkus from tucson az on Sat Oct 19 2013

have only had my mazda 3 for a month or so, too soon to tell about reliability. do like the overall performance and the 36-37 mpg gas milage, So far I am very happy with my purchase

I LOVE MY CAR

by Jasper from pALM sPRINGS, ca on Sun Oct 05 2014

I HAVE A 2013 MAZDA 3 COUPE WITH 6 SPEED MANUAL TRANS AND SKY ACTIVE.. I HAVE THE MID RANGE SPORT TRIM. I LOVE MY CAR. GREAT GAS MILEAGE AND FUN TO DRIVE.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Our Take on the 2013 Mazda Mazda3

Editor's note: This review was written in January 2012 about the 2012 Mazda Mazda3. Little of substance has changed with this year's model. To see what's new for 2013, click here, or check out a side-by-side comparison of the two model years.

Thanks to new drivetrains, the 2012 Mazda3 has fuel economy ratings as high as 40 mpg on the highway. That's a big gain over last year that addresses a major shortcoming in the brand's most popular car. After all, at least five 40-mpg competitors will be on sale by this summer. The bandwagon is unstoppable, and now Mazda has a seat on board.

The 2012 Mazda3's refinement issues will linger until the car gets a full redesign, but its driving fun and fuel efficiency keep... Read More