2016 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 Reviews
Full-size pickup trucks are Detroit's bread and butter, and when Chevrolet redesigned the Silverado for 2014 it took a conservative approach with the styling and stuck with a traditional steel frame and body. The Silverado 1500 shares its platform with the GMC Sierra 1500, but there are significant styling differences to appeal to shoppers with different tastes. Competitors include the Ram 1500, Ford F-150 and Toyota Tundra. The Silverado comes in regular-cab, double-cab and crew-cab body styles, and cargo-box lengths range from 5 feet 8 inches to 8 feet.
For truck buyers who need to tow 20,000 pounds or more there are 2500HD and 3500HD heavy-duty versions of the Silverado, which were updated last year.
(Skip to details on the: Silverado 2500HD and 3500HD)
New for 2016
All models get new front-end styling with prominent horizontal elements and LED accent lighting. High-intensity-discharge headlights are standard and LED headlights are available. The eight-speed automatic transmission is now available with the 5.3-liter V-8 engine on LTZ and High Country trim levels while wireless phone charging is included on all models with front bucket seats.
Apple CarPlay and Android Auto are available and let passengers access apps from compatible smartphones through the Silverado's dashboard screen. A remote locking tailgate is also available, and High Country models can have power-retractable running boards.
Significant Standard Features
- 285-horsepower, 4.3-liter V-6 engine
- Six-speed automatic transmission
- Rear-wheel drive
- Air conditioning
- Cruise control
- Power door locks
- Full-size spare tire
- Trailer-sway control
- Hill start assist
- Required in every new vehicle: front airbags, antilock brakes and an electronic stability system
Significant Available Features
- 355-hp, 5.3-liter V-8
- 420-hp, 6.2-liter V-8
- Eight-speed automatic transmission
- Four-wheel drive
- OnStar 4G LTE connectivity with Wi-Fi hot spot (data subscription required)
- Apple CarPlay and Android Auto smartphone integration
- Remote locking tailgate
- Power side steps
- Power-adjustable pedals
- Heated and cooled front seats
- Heated steering wheel
- Backup camera
- Forward collision warning
- Lane keeping assist
- Automatic high-beam headlights
Silverado 2500HD and 3500HD
The heavy-duty versions of the Silverado were redesigned last year when they received stronger cargo boxes, new exterior styling with improved airflow and new interior styling.
For 2016, Digital Steering Assist power steering that continuously adjusts assist is available on double-cab and crew-cab trucks. A new Gooseneck/5th Wheel Trailering Prep Package includes a spray-in bedliner. Also newly available is wireless phone charging, a remote locking tailgate, and Apple CarPlay and Android Auto smartphone integration.
- Standard 360-hp, 6.0-liter gas V-8
- Available 301-hp, 6.0-liter compressed natural gas or gas V-8
- Available 397-hp, turbo-diesel 6.6-liter V-8 with 765 pounds-feet of torque
- Maximum towing capacity of 20,000 pounds with a conventional trailer hitch
- Maximum fifth-wheel or gooseneck towing capacity of 23,200 pounds