2006 PT Cruiser

4.1 out of 5 starsReliability

All Reviews

Great Retro Fun

by DGS49 from North of Pittsburgh, PA on March 6, 2013

I bought this car 2 months ago - it's an '06 GT with the Getrag 5-speed, and had 55,000 miles on it when I bought it (I bought a 36 month MOPAR warranty). I am driving it to work daily, about 120 miles/week. I'm averaging about 22mpg or a little better with 89 octane, taking it relatively easy on the throttle. The performance is excellent, handling is good, and it has the feel of a nice, solid, sporty car. It was very well taken care of by the previous two owners, and it is visually like new. No problems yet. I was a little bit foolish in buying it exclusively based on internet information and reviews - I hadn't even sat in one before I went to the (out of state) dealership to pick it up. My only dissapointment has been the seating position. It feels too high to me, and the seats are not very comfortable or supportive. In fact, I can't pull up too close to traffic lights because I have to scrunch down to look up and see when the light turns green. But the car looks and drives great. I've had several compliments, and I have no regrets. The flexibility of the interior has also been a plus, as I often have to load up with golf clubs, boxes, suitcases, and such, and there is always a configuration that suits my needs. I like the small exterior size, too, which leaves plenty of space in my garage. In my opinion, the poor resale value is a real plus. I would not hesitate to recommend that someone find a low-mileage, clean used one, as a good everyday driver.

Great fun! Turbo is great!

by ChopRod from Coulumbus, Ohio on February 7, 2013

Have owned for two years and no problems, Its a GT convertible with the high output 230hp engine. Boy what a difference that makes. Have driven other non-turbo models with average performance. Sort of blah. But the turbo changes its personality completely- for the good. Power heated leather seats add to the comfort. It has the AutoStick but why bother it shifts nicely by itself. Read where they put heavy duty axles and some beefed up suspension components on the GT models. Feels nice and solid. Bumps at slow speeds gives some cowl shake but doesn't at higher speeds. A lot smoother than a friends Mustang convertible which doesn't have a roll bar like the PT does. Easy folding power top plus it has a real rear glass window with defroster. Extra inner lining makes for quiet ride with top up. Really nice to have a power window switch to lower and raise all windows simultaneously. Have averaged 23.3 mpg with light cruising. A lot of times its around 20-21- too tempting to give it more throttle to feel the turbo rush. Top of the line models always seem to perform better overall than base models. For fun and easy cruising, the GT with the high output turbo is the way to go!

Car of my dreams!

by susie from Baltimore, MD on September 8, 2009

I loved the retro look and once I drove it I was hooked. It feels like it was made for me. Seat is just right, I can see well out of all windows and mirrors, not to big but not to little... The only complaint is that the turning radius isn't too good. My husband says that he could turn a school bus around easier then this car. (However, it is my car & I don't care!!)

Best Value for Money

by Cruis'n Man from New Hampshire on March 25, 2009

I've been very happy since buying my PT Cruiser. The seats while firm, are extremely comfortable and supportive, especially on long trips. The dark-tinted windows on the rear keep the bright sun out, help keep the car cool on hot summer days, and look great. Very stylish car and worht the money.

Dependable Workhorse

by Breez from Daytona Beach, FL on November 7, 2013

I just purchased my second pre-owned Cruiser, which says a lot about how much I enjoy the car. My first was a 2005 Base model (5-Spd Man) with 9800 miles, and my current one is a 2006 Limited (5 Spd Man) with 24,000 miles. First off, what a difference in styling and standard features that come with the Limited. Great comfort and pleasant to drive, and I've always loved the "gangsta" retro '30s styling. When I traded my 2005 it had 172,500 miles on it giving much credence to its reliability and dependability. I averaged 28 to 32 mpg on Florida highways and country roads, so no disappointments there. Engine performance totally on par for a 4-Cyl engine with smooth, strong acceleration going through all 5 gears. As far as any major maintenance is concerned I changed the oil religiously at every 3000 miles, had to replace an A/C Evap Valve around 50,000, the timing belt at 97,000 miles (average life-span), and maybe two tune-ups. Had to put in a new clutch assembly around 30,000, most likely due to the original owner not knowing how to drive a stick (reason given for why it was traded in at such low mileage), and the clutch being self adjusting to point of failure without much warning. Anyway, ended up getting a whole new tranny out of the deal under warranty. Cargo capacity is more than ample, and rear-seat configuration change options are top-notch. I scuba dive and fish a lot and there's more than enough room to transport all my gear and coolers full of adult beverages with plenty of room to spare. All that being said, as long as there are PT Cruisers on the road, I'm going to be in one of them.

Disappointing Fuel Economy

by Roadrunner from Tampa, FL on June 4, 2011

I purchased this car in January 2011 at a very good price. It had only 22k miles (very low for a 5yr old car) The car now has 35k miles & I am sure it will go another 150k, but I need to get rid of it soon because it is costing me an arm & a leg in gas. I do mainly highway driving but have never managed anything better than 22mpg. I drive at posted speeds & service the car regularly. Another complaint is the lack of comfort in the back seat. My teenge boys refuse to ride in the car if we are to travel longer than 30 minutes.

sharp

by Tombyrd from North Port FL on January 20, 2013

I'v had the PT Cruiser for one month,and like almost everything about it. However I don't know if there's any way to improve the shoddy gas mileage performance approx. 20 MPG avg.It loves gasoline. I used to have a Saab convertible that got 30 mpg on the highway so I guess I'm spoiled. So far this is my only comlpaint.

Inspiration definately does come standard!

by chrysler fans from new orleans on December 15, 2006

nice try chevy but the HHR dosent come close to a pt cruiser! I bought mine with 40,000 miles and have put 50,000 miles on it already. I havnt had one thing wrong with it except fighting with my wife to take it to work. She bought a new Chevy HHR 2 years ago and has been in for service twice and cosmetic work once because the window stoped working. We find its much better looking also. Thanks chrysler!we're fans for life!

2006 Crysler PT Cruiser

by shbrown from on March 17, 2017

Most Reliable Car I've Owned $3,600 Clinton, MS (39056) 116,000 miles...runs good...OBO good car if you want has good gas mileage this is the perfect car for you

2006 P T Cruiser Basic

by Carrie VanAntwerp from Wichita, Ks on May 27, 2006

O.k first of all I wish I bought the GT or limited only because it has more features I could have used. My basic model does have power windows/ locks CD Player and outside tempeture gauge, which in a basic model you don't expect to get. It took me awhile to get use to because I was so use to driveing luxury sedans for the past 5 years (Buick Lesabre and Mercury Grand Marque)that after about a week it was so much fun to drive I found excuses just to go somewhere. I bought this model to save on gas verses my Mercury. And Yes I see a huge differance. First of all I need to say I read reviews before I bought this car and saw a few comments on poor gas mileage this thing gets. From my point of view its all in how you drive your car!!!! Even with gas at almost $3.00 a gal people are still driving crazy. As far as the handling its very smooth very comfy turns a little stiff for me but not a problem. The only complaint I have is lack of storage in the back. There's one small cubby hole that you can but stuff but thats it. I do love this car so far. . For the price its wonderful and the features on the 06 model differ from the later years but my opion I like the change. The air vents you can totally turn and rotate to howerver you want and the chrome look is fresh and clean. My husband and friend talked me into buying this car and I have to say they were right. I'm glad I did. My husband wants to get one in the future also so we will both have one. There's one last thing I will point out and that is why in the heck is this classified as a van? It feels more like a small SUV.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7