2015 CX-5

2015 Mazda CX-5

2015 Mazda CX-5

Have You Driven the 2015 Mazda CX-5?

Sporty CUV

by Family guy from South Dakota on Sun Sep 20 2015

My wife and i have owned our 2015 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring AWD for about a year and in that time have driven it for 45,000 very enjoyable miles. Fuel mileage is good for an all wheel drive CUV averaging 27 MPG in mixed driving. We live in South Dakota were interstate speed limits are 80 MPH so if driven slightly slower it would likely average even better. I have found that while the ride may be firmer than most it is also more nimble and sporty feeling than most other CUV's I have driven. All weather traction has been commendable. In terms of reliability it has been absolutely flawless. Having owned many utility vehicles over the years I have found the Mazda CX-5 to be my favorite to date.

Mazda Got It Right

by Pipemajor from Twin Cities, MN on Sun Jun 22 2014

This pertains to the 2015 Grand Touring CX-5 with optional AWD and Technology Package. I really wasn't looking at this particular class of vehicle until I spotted the CX-5. It had the room I needed to transport my stuff, seats 4 comfortably, has that zoom-zoom Mazda drivability and still delivers around 30mpg. I chose the Mazda over its competitors because I really really wanted the HID headlights. We live in a state where vehicle/deer collisions are common so the added visibility is worth the price of the Tech Package alone. The 2.5 litre engine and 6 speed auto trans are a great match - I haven't enjoyed driving a vehicle this much in many, many years.

Fantastic Vehicle. Best in it's class.

by Mazda from Syracuse, NY on Fri Dec 25 2015

Love it. Fun to drive. Very high- tec. Amazing safety features. Extremely smooth ride. Amazing Bose sound system. Best headlights ever.

I'm in love!

by SUV Seeker from Hillsboro, OR on Tue Mar 18 2014

I had a 2012 Honda CRV that I wasn't completely satisfied with. Don't get me wrong, it's a Honda and a great quality car. However, the interior finishes are really cheap looking (gray plastic handles and trim for example). I decided to test drive the CX5 and hoped I wouldn't like it to avoid another car buying experience, but there was no going back once I sat in it. Superb quality inside and out. It feels more substantial than the CRV too. Gas mileage is already better than the CRV. You get a lot for your money - all the bells and whistles for the price of a base Toyota/Ford! For some reason, I find it easier to get in and out of as well. Test drive one and you'll be sold!

Nearly Perfect!

by Silver Spring from Silver Spring, MD on Thu Mar 19 2015

The CX5 is a great package - although there are some areas Mazda could have done a little better. The interior is a little spartan for such a stylish exterior. The transmission is a little sticky at times in switching from lower to higher gears, and it does not roll "freely" when gearing down to first gear. The back seats and hatch area are spacious for a smaller car. I am very pleased with this car and would highly recommend it as comfortable, versatile, well performing and economical transportation.

Excellent car for the money

by EdwardTeach from Denver, CO on Mon Apr 06 2015

I have enjoyed driving Mazda cars since I purchased my first one back in 2005. They are fun to drive and easy to maintain. I had to step up from my old Mazda3 to get this more family friendly car and I was dreading it a bit as I have rented several other compact SUVs on vacations and never really liked them. The lines on the CX-5 are sleek and nice and despite having a little 4 cylinder engine this car has some serious get up and go. I have driven it into the mountains here in Colorado several times and it handles well on steep roads and in the snow. I feel very safe when driving it. I do miss my manual transmission but it is nice to not have to hold the clutch in all the time in traffic and the automatic transmission has a mode where it will almost redline the engine before shifting gears so you can really get going up hills when you need to. The CX-5 is a very comfortable ride, the seats are wonderful and four full grown adults fit well in it. I would recommend this car to anyone looking for a great compact SUV that is easy on your wallet but can still get you to the places you want to go.

Perfect!! (Almost)

by bdoonzoom from Bonny Doon, CA on Mon Jun 23 2014

13,000 miles on a CX-5 Grand Touring 2.5 liter, AWD, 6 speed automatic - absolutely no regrets. Drives like my first car a BMW 2002. It feels like German DNA (I've also owned one new Audi and one new Porsche). However, the CX-5 long term reliability ratings are much higher, and service costs are much lower - like a Honda (owned 3) or Acura (owned 2). 24 mpg in very twisty mountain driving, 30 mpg on the Interstate. Love the 6-speed in manual mode. Just enough torque and horsepower - when combined with the perfectly tuned chassis it can really "dance". Very roomy for 4 / OK for 5. And I can get a mountain bike inside without removing the front wheel. Exterior looks athletic. Interior materials are high quality and styled conservatively. No Bling to detract from the ergonomic presentation of gauges, knobs and real tactile buttons. Downside -- Tom-Tom Nav is marginally OK, iPod USB interface is very poor. Bluetooth iPod interface is marginal. But its a dream to drive!!

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

Ryan McGuire

by Kathryn from Laconia on Tue May 17 2016

Love the car! Had it over a year now and everyone that drives it also comments how fun it is to drive!

Great car could be better

by Suziesilverado from Sarsota on Fri Apr 10 2015

I've had my 2015 GT for four months and have put about 4700 miles on it 50/50 city/highway. I'm 5'3" tall and find the seat position to be better than most other cars. The headrest could be set back just a bit, but the seat position is still better for me than the Hondas, Toyotas, etc. Before buyng the CX5 I tried most of the others on the market, concentrating on high end models. I liked this one more than any other, at any price point. It has all the features I need, good gas mileage (although I can't get over 28.5 mpg highway driving 65 mph no matter what I do. I have no idea how some people can get 32-33 with the same 2.5 engine.) Am very happy I don't need premium gas. I average 26.5 or so in city driving- can push it to 27.6 if I pay attention and coast a lot. As mentioned by other reviewers the handling is very nimble and it drives well. Noise levels are not overly obtrusive, but it's definitely louder than some high end SUVs. A bit more attention to sound insulation would have been nice. The infotainment system needs help and I've heard it was improved in the the 2016 models. Mine is very sluggish, takes a long time to switch from channel to channel and the voice recognition doesn't work well. The Bose speakers improved over time and I get good overall sound from them with decent base. Would have been great if there was a subwoofer in the car, and maybe a couple of small tweaters on the side of the window for higher definition. I think it's a great looking SUV. Love the lines. There were not enough options for exterior/interior color combinations. I wanted a tan interior but ended up with the black because the tan was only offered with white, red, dark blue. The front cools off fine with the air conditioning. The back takes time. The SUV should have rear vents. Rear view mirror visibility is not great (no worse than other SUVs) I usually travel alone, so I took out the rear headrests. I put them back in when I have passengers in the car. I previously owned a Honda with a side camera, but prefer the simpler blind spot warnings on the CX5 which work well. The car feels solid but the trunk lid is a bit heavy. I'd like to see them install a remote open/close feature. Even it they do make all these changes I don't expect to trade in the 2015 for a long time. It's a keeper.

I love my new car

by Horse Lover from Arkansas on Mon Aug 24 2015

My new Mazda CX-5 is what I hoped for in an SUV. It is a smooth ride, handles great. It accelerates on the freeway fine, and keeps up with the traffic. The leather seats in the Grand Touring model are very comfortable. The whole vehicle is very tight in handling and interior quality. The back cargo area works good for my dog, and I ordered the cargo liner to keep the pet hair off the carpet in the cargo area. An overall great choice and buy.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Our Take on the 2015 Mazda CX-5

Editor's note: This review was written in February 2013 about the 2014 Mazda CX-5. Little of substance has changed with this year's model. To see what's new for 2015, click here, or check out a side-by-side comparison of the two model years.

With its newfound power, the 2014 Mazda CX-5 is the complete package for crossover-minded driving enthusiasts.

The CX-5 burst onto the small crossover market a little more than a year ago and established itself as one of the most fun-to-drive models in the class. It had everything going for it — except one thing: Its 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine frequently felt weak. Mazda zeroed in on this shortcoming for the 2014 model year with a newly optional 2.5-liter... Read More