2014 Forester

2014 Subaru Forester

2014 Subaru Forester

4.5

Have You Driven the 2014 Subaru Forester?

best transmission ever

by eeyore from texas on Thu Apr 18 2013

have 1700 miles on my 2014 forester xt and loving it so far. getting 26.5mpg with aggressive driving 85% hwy and 15% city. very comfortable open car. and yes, it does love the dirt roads. the xt is very fast for an suv and fun to drive. my only complaint so far is a little too much road noise ( but this may be due to the xt suspension changes). the engine and transmission are unbelievable, and this is comparing to a 2012 lexus rx350 and a 2011 bmw x3 28xdrive. the actual fuel milage numbers are comparable to any diesel or hybrid suv out there, and so much more fun to drive. i have 36in legs and have tons of room left in the back seat. it rocks!

Still loving it after a year!

by Chris from Kentucky on Mon Sep 14 2015

Subaru Forester 2014 2.5i Premium Use: It's my only car so in town and long distance trips. I love my Subaru! I did months of research before purchasing it a year ago and have been happy with my decision ever since. It meets or surpasses the EPA mpg estimates! Exterior: Looks great after a year. Yes, there are a couple of small rock chips on the lower front fender but I think it usual for every car. Love the styling. Interior. I have the gray fabric and love it. Resists stains. The light color and the fabric keep things cool even on the hottest days. I like having Bluetooth connection and that I can connect my MP3 player to the sound system. The steering wheel controls are logical and useful. Air conditioning and heater are work great. I love the fold flat back as I sleep in the car rather than tent-camping. A twin air mattress fits perfectly for a great night's sleep. The panoramic moonroof is huge and lets in lots of light and air. I am petite and the seats are comfortable even after a 12 hour drive and the position to reach the pedals is just right. Since I bought it there has been concern about oil consumption. I have not had an issue. Once the oil light came on and I added 1 quart of oil and that filled it. The car holds 5.5 qts so the warning light comes on well before engine damage can be done. I carry a quart with me, just in case. I like that it monitors air pressure and that saved me a tire once when I hit road debris and was able to pull over as soon as the light came on and before damage was done. I plan on keeping this car for many years and many miles!

Love my Forester

by Mountain Traveler from Texas and Colorado on Sun Apr 21 2013

I have owned a variety of SUV's and crossovers, from the Pilot, to a RAV 4 and Venza. Needed something for long distance travel as well as AWD. This fits the bill to tee. So well built and all of the details are thought out. Especially love the great visibility. Very smooth.

2014 is at the top of it's class

by First Subie from Dallas, Texas on Wed Apr 17 2013

Our new 2014 Forester 2.5i Touring with Eyesight and Nav is a huge improvement over the previous Forester which felt tinny, noisy and cheap to me in test drives. I drove the first 750 miles through blizzard conditions, a sandstorm, 60-70 mph winds and rains and this car tracked like a trooper. The CVT is perfectly smooth and responsive, the suspension is smooth yet well planted, the 2.5i (smaller engine) provided plenty of pep at all speeds, and the ride was quiet (even in high winds.) Road noise is lower than than the competition, but still evident on concrete highways. The Eyesight has already paid for itself--saving me from a collision with an errant driver. But I absolutely love the cruise control which accelerates and brakes the car depending upon traffic around you. It's like the car drives better by itself than with me in control on highways. Around town the Forester is nimble, quick and easy to park. Outward visibility (front, side and rear) is tremendous compared with the competition and interior flexibility beats them too. My one complaint is the audio/nav. system which is needlessly complex to use. I'm finally getting used to it, but it seems dated (at best) although the Harmon-Kardon sound system is excellent. I love the high ground clearance with low step-in height and all the small touches Subaru put into this vehicle to make it livable. I test drove a CR-V, RAV4 and Ford Escape and none matched the Forester. It just feels right.

My last car

by Axman from New Baltimore, NY on Thu Sep 19 2013

Love it. The gas mileage, the open lines of sight, huge sun roof, deep bass in the stereo, blue tooth for hands free talking, power seats, all the driving data sliced and diced in the display. Love the engineering of the engine and compartment. Low profileboxer engine and the oil filter ON TOP of the engine!!! The Subaru track record for longevity combined with the extended warantee I got makes this the last car I hope to buy. I live on a steep hill with a very long drive. Can't wait for the snow.

Best Bang for your buck

by GB from Waukesha, WI on Thu Jan 16 2014

So far I have been impressed with the 2014 Subaru Forester 2.5 premium. My review might change after I put some more miles on this vehicle but so far I cant complain much. For the price the Forester delivers the best bang for your buck. I was choosing between the Forester, Rav 4, and CRV. The forester in all wheel drive was less expensive than a similarily equipped front wheel drive Rav 4 or CRV. Here is a list of pros and cons I have noticed so far regarding the forester. Pros: gas mileage(average approximately 28 mpg) visibility is outstanding with the huge windows and higher ground clearance great traction on the road especially in snow moonroof is very large(almost feels like a convertible) interior noise is minimal seats are very comfortable and I am a shorter driver acceleration is good with the 2.5 rear seats recline for the passengers! Cons: Interior storage space(the glove box is small as well as the center console) The CVT seems to make an annoying "whinning" noise towing capacity is only 1500 lbs Overall, I am happy with my purchase. I hope this vehicle is reliable and continues to suit my needs. Hopefully after 100,000 miles my review wont change much!

unbelievable road grip on curves at high speed

by Highway chemist from NJ on Wed May 01 2013

When I started to look for a small SUV, I spend quite some time looking into the handsome looking 2013 Toyota RAV-4 since I had 2 toyota and a Lexus and got great experince. In the end, I bought my first Subaru, a 2014 Forester. Why? Because I learned that it is far superior than all the competitors priced under $35,000. It has the best full time all wheel drive, highest ground clearance, better power seat than RAV-4 limited. I drove about 2000 miles, 95% highway. The grip on the curves is totally unbelievable. I have no trouble to drive at 75 MPH on any sharp curves on highway and I feel the car is in total control. Love it!!! Like to see the gas tank a gallon or two bigger.

You absolutely will not regret purchasing this car

by Thummp3r from Charlotte, NC on Mon Jul 22 2013

3800 miles in, and coming from a mini-van past, I don't think I could be more pleased with this car. I purchased the Limited, one step down from the touring (I didn't need the zillion watt stereo...too much temptation for riders to 'turn it up'), but included navi, which isn't nearly as bad as some websites reviews. I went to 13 different dealerships before buying the Forester, and, actually went to the Subaru dealership after finding nothing I liked as the Outback was sort of my last resort...I didn't even think of the Forester until the sales person steered me toward it, after I didn't like the Outback. I looked at most all small to mid sized SUV's and crossovers out there. The reasons I picked the Forester are (in no particular order): 1. Visibility...It's totally a different driving experience compared to the other small SUV's and crossovers. You really have a command view over all that is around you. No other even came close. 2. CVT with X-Mode...I live in North Carolina and often visit relatives in the mountains, both in NC and Tennessee. When times of family emergency arise, I don't get to pick the weather, and never felt safe driving on icy roads in a mini-van. I did a bit of reading after my test drive, and feel very confident in this car for just about any driving conditions. 3. Interior layout...There just isn't any other small SUV that can handle five 6'2" men in it...this one can...and no one feels cramped. The control knobs and buttons are clearly marked and not the 'Air Force Jet' layout like Audi decided to go with for who knows what reason....Further, the instrument panel is perfectly aligned with the steering wheel (in the position that is comfortable to me.) 4. Entry and egress...I'm well over 6 feet tall, and have a long torso and average length legs. The problem I had with pretty much all of the small SUV's was getting in and out of them. There is no problem with the Forester. 5. Standard features...There is just no way to get a base car that has a CVT and a Subaru quality AWD for the base they offer. I paid slightly over 30K out the door for my Forester, a Limited with several options I wanted including leather and NAVI...but I never found anything close in the way of standard features, even lesser vehicles like the RAV4. 6. Safety...This isn't the first car, or truck or van...it is the first VEHICLE, period...to ACE every aspect of the new small overlap test done by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety [IIHS]. That test is head on, at 40MPH, where all the impact is on the left 25% [the drivers side] of the vehicle. You will feel comfortable, safe and secure in any conditions driving this car...I promise...

New Forester-Great Value

by FredericksburgBuyer from Fredericksburg on Sun Jan 12 2014

Good value. Purchased for spouse and for moving kids to college. Compared lots of small SUV's (RAV4, CRV, Escape, etc) New CVT is unexpectedly smooth & economical. Very comfortable on a long trip. Wish there were more storage nooks. Nav system got us through NYC and Boston.

Multiple Forester owner--impressed

by Researcher from Jackson, MS on Sat Aug 24 2013

I own a 2006 Forester, and I am impressed with the technological upgrades (except losing the 5 disk CD changer and cargo cover), the higher and stylish SUV frame, and the greater space in the second row of seats. The trim level I got in the 2.5i weather package includes an automatic backup camera, 3 auto dimmer mirrors, compass, and homelink system. For once, the Forester is attractive looking as well as all the other things one loves about a Subaru-- the superior AWD, highest rating by CR and the Insurance Institute of Highway Safety, and the improved gas mileage. The biggest negative is the bumpier ride due to it being higher on more of a truck frame. The larger size will be hard to get used to driving at first, and the cargo space is three inches shorter. The stylishness does make it harder to see out of the previous "boxy" windowed back. I LOVE Subaru!

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 18

Our Take on the 2014 Subaru Forester

The compact crossover class is one of the most competitive with a slew of excellent choices for car shoppers.

Subaru's redesigned Forester won't make things any easier.

The 2014 Subaru Forester may look only slightly different on the outside, but inside, underneath the hood and just about everywhere else, it's a significantly improved SUV.

Subaru has gone to great lengths to make sure the Forester is still a capable off-road  or at least "off-pavement" vehicle — but it shines in everyday driving, too.

At a national introduction hosted by Subaru in Arizona, I tested both the standard 2.5-liter four-cylinder that most shoppers will choose as well as the... Read More