2019 XC60

2019 Volvo XC60

2019 Volvo XC60

5 out of 5 stars Comfort
5 out of 5 stars Value for the Money

Have You Driven the 2019 Volvo XC60?

Highs and lows

by walkabout from North Hollywood on Tue May 28 2019

I've had mine for a about a week, with several hundred miles on it. For sake of comparison, my last vehicle was a Lincoln MKX 2.7T and before that a BMW 3-series wagon. I love the way the car looks from both the exterior and exterior, the paint job is fantastic. I have the Pine Gray exterior (which is a very distinctive combo of green and gray) and a maroon (brown) interior. The fit and finish and interior materials are better than any vehicle in it's class, although it does have a few very minor cheap touches. It oozes quality and attention to details. You feel pampered as soon as you sit in the cabin. I have been pleasantly surprised by SENSUS. Car mags sometimes complain about how touch-centric the user interface is (no redundant hard controls - few buttons in the car, all on the screen) but I've not found this to be a major concern in most cases. The system is elegant and easy to figure out. The seats are wonderfully comfortable, visibility outside the vehicle is superb (again, best in this class). You won't realize you are driving an SUV, because its so free of blind spots and there is a tight turning circle during parking lot maneuvers. The car really hauls (I have the T6 inscription). Some of the tech is really superb - the clarity on the 360 camera and the backup cam are unreal and the heads up display is pretty nice. There are a few clever features that I really love - for example, you can fold the rear headrests from the driver's seat. The rear cargo area is nicely shaped, well finished, and flat. I can get my bike and gear in there with no problem. Some minor downsides: The cabin storage (places to store your sunglasses, wallet, etc) around the driver's seat is ridiculously sparse. The spare tire well would have been a good place for a tray to store jumper cables, emergency equipment. However, the entire area is unfinished. An SUV is all about hauling stuff so I find the lack of storage options annoying. The factory nav is not impressive and doesn't have very nice graphics. I use Android Auto which is relegated to a small subwindow at the bottom of the screen (tiny!). The more notable downside is that the vehicle dynamics are not great. The ride is a bit stiff - not harsh enough to be uncomfortable but also below the German (and US) competition. It doesn't compare to my Lincoln MKX - not called a Nautilus - which is only a tad bigger. The handling is also so-so. Its top heavy, and plows in cornering. It is much smaller than my Lincoln was but probably not as nimble as that vehicle overall. It definitely does not handle as well as close competitors like the Acura RDX, BMW X3, and Audi Q5. The engine can be a bit buzzy and there is some hesitation off the line. Bottom line, with this vehicle you are giving up handling chops and ride comfort for interior fit and finish, tech features, styling, visibility, and best in the class seating. Are the trade offs worth it? For me, yes. But, this is not a perfect vehicle and lags behind the class leaders dynamically. If you want a more sporty vehicle and don't mind not being able to see out the rear window - I'd take a look at the RDX. The X3 and Q5 are also nice but both neither are particularly comfortable vehicles and the interior quality is way below Volvo.

Volvo Has Really Changed for the Better!

by jdub from Los Anngeles CA on Tue Jan 22 2019

We were in the market for a new car/SUV and wanted to take a step up to something more luxurious but still known as reliable. We went to the LA Auto Show and looked at all the options in the price range (around $60k). In the running were Mercedez-Benz, BMW, Audi, Lexus, Acura, and Volvo. The German offerings are known to be not as reliable and we did not like the interiors very much. The Lexus exterior looks were not my taste. Nor the Acura interior which seemed very plastic. We settled on the Volvo since it checked all the boxes for us. The looks, way it drives, technologies (both convenience and safety), and the interior is very luxurious at this price point. The car has about 1k miles on it now and only had a small issue with Android car play which we think was due to a cheap cable. The car has a steep learning curve since it has so many features. We opted for the Inscription model so it has a lot of bells and whistles. My only complaint is the parking assist seems very sensitive and goes off when going through a fast food drive in, for example. As well as the seats not always adjusting to the drivers saved setting via the key in use. So far very happy with the car and enjoy the T6s 316hp when needed. Taking the car up curvy roads I was very happily surprised by how flat and well it handles into and out of apexes. You can get on the power quickly and you almost forget the size of the overall vehicle.

Love this SUV!

by eric s from Orlando, FL on Tue Dec 11 2018

I already had a Volvo before, so I sort of knew what I was getting into. Went from an XC90 to an XC60. I liked my 90. I love this 60. Fast and gorgeous. The first time I took it to fill up, it got not one but two comments. Bursting Blue will do that. Splurge for POLESTAR, too. It adds that much more responsiveness to the SUV. I'm all in on Volvo. This latest iteration of the 60 is a hit. Solid and not a single rattle. The ONLY thing -- I can hear the engine a bit more in this one than the 90. I assume it's because the 90, being the flagship, has a little more insulation. Still, nothing serious. The Harman Kardon sound system that comes with the R-Design is an added plus, too. One thing you'll soon realize when you deal with Volvo, It MATTERS who your dealer is. The company itself doesn't have the most excellent network. Do your homework and find a dealership that is actually interested in getting you into a car you want. I'd totally recommend this "mini 90" to someone in the market for an upscale SUV.

Surprisingly impressed

by Andrew from West Orange on Wed Aug 28 2019

As a prior BMW owner my expectations were pretty high. I purchased the T6 and very happy with performance, handling and styling. My only complaint is the navigation system map. The options to view are inadequate. Otherwise, one of my favorite cars I ever owned. Bravo!

Our family has owned six XC60s.

by LAB from NY NY on Fri Oct 26 2018

Very safe, great and various safety features, Extremely comfortable. Great space for driver and back seat passengers. Many comfort features. Great car. Trunk space and turndown features of back seats a real plus .

The most stylish & technically equipped models yet

by Kathy from Dunmore,PA on Sat Nov 17 2018

This is my 5th Volvo I have purchased. I love the style,comfort & safety of a Volvo. The newly designed XC60 has so many new features with an iPad styled dash. It has more leg room in the back & a ton of style

It is by far the most comfortable SUV I have owned

by Frank from LAUREL on Sat Mar 30 2019

The car has met all my expectations. It is comfortable with ample leg room, handles extremely well, very good sound system and many safety features. many safety features

Best Car I’ve Ever Owned (best of 5)

by T_Elle from NY on Fri Dec 28 2018

This car meets all my needs and then some. I love the luxurious feel of my XC60. The Volvo on Call app is the best thing since sliced bread. Though it’s an SUV, it takes off like a rocket (dynamic drive mode will change your life). It has all the latest safety features for myself and my 4yo. I could sing it’s praises all day. Excellent vehicle.

The best and most reliable car I’ve ever owned.

by Edags from Frederick, MD on Sat Dec 01 2018

Very comfortable, classy and smooth ride ever. This is my second XC60, I got the XC2016 and traded with this 2019XC60, it’s really an upgrade.

I LOVE my XC60

by KaitlinS from Hope, NJ on Mon May 06 2019

This is truly a luxury Volvo. It meets my needs exactly. The performance is amazing along with the sound system. The fuel economy and overall look of the car is spot on. I highly recommend the XC60 to anyone looking for a sharp SUV!

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Our Take on the 2019 Volvo XC60

The verdict:

The 2018 Volvo XC60 is a new benchmark for small luxury SUVs.

Versus the competition:

A full redesign transforms the once semi-nice Volvo XC60 into a full-blown luxury SUV able to go head to head with the Mercedes-Benz GLC-Class, Audi Q5 and Lexus NX.

Like its bigger brother — the seven-seat Volvo XC90 that we named our Best of 2016 — the five-seat 2018 Volvo XC60 is a whole new SUV compared with its predecessor. Compare the 2018 to the 2017 XC60 here.

It’s amazing how much is shared between the XC60 and XC90: engines, a lot of the chassis, much of the interior and most features. The XC60 feels like a mini-XC90, and that’s a good thing considering how gushy we get when we talk about the Best of 2016 winner we owned for a year. The kicker is that I think the Volvo XC60 is the better buy if you don’t need the third-row seat.

I drove multiple versions of the new XC60 at a preview event in Denver (per our ethics policy, Cars.com pays... Read More