What it is: New last year, the Sonata Plug-In Hybrid is Hyundai’s first plug-in model and has an EPA-estimated electric-only range of up to 27 miles before the car switches to gas-electric operation.
The electric motor is more powerful than the Sonata Hybrid’s and the battery pack is roughly five times larger. It can recharge in less than three hours on 240-volt service and less than nine hours using a regular household outlet. The Sonata Plug-In Hybrid is distributed in select states including California, Connecticut, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Rhode Island and Vermont.
- 50-kilowatt electric motor
- 9.8-kilowatt-hour lithium-ion polymer battery pack
- Charge port on driver-side front fender
- Manage vehicle charging, climate control with smartphone app
- 8-inch touchscreen
- Standard heated front seats
- Standard blind spot warning system with rear cross-traffic alert
What it is: Hyundai redesigned its Sonata mid-size sedan for 2015 and it was joined by a Sonata Hybrid and Sonata Plug-In Hybrid — Hyundai’s first plug-in — last year. The hybrid models wear unique wheels and front and rear styling, including a larger grille and different headlights, taillights and bumpers. Competitors include hybrid versions of the Chevrolet Malibu, Ford Fusion, Honda Accord and Toyota Camry.
Android Auto and Apple CarPlay smartphone connectivity and a 7-inch touchscreen are now standard. The systems mirror select smartphone apps on the car’s dashboard screen. HD Radio and the latest version of Hyundai’s Blue Link telematics system are also included.
- 2.0-liter four-cylinder gas engine
- Six-speed automatic transmission with integrated 38-kW electric motor
- Lithium-ion polymer battery pack
- Total system output of 193 horsepower
- Front-wheel drive
- LED daytime running lights and taillights
- Dual-zone automatic climate control
- 7-inch touchscreen
- Keyless access with push-button start
- Hands-free trunk opening
- Backup camera
- Required in every new car: front airbags, antilock brakes and an electronic stability system
- Leather upholstery
- Heated and ventilated front seats
- Panoramic moonroof
- 8-inch touchscreen
- Navigation system
- 60/40-split folding rear seat
- Adaptive cruise control
- Forward collision warning
- Blind spot warning system with rear cross-traffic alert
- Lane departure warning