What Is the 2021 Toyota C-HR?
Short for Coupe High-Rider, the Toyota C-HR is designed to be a stylish cross between a coupe and an SUV, but it’s more of a tall four-door hatchback with the look of a sporty two-door. Unlike other SUVs, the C-HR lacks the option of all-wheel drive (it’s front-wheel drive only) and doesn’t offer much cargo space.
The five-seat C-HR has a 144-horsepower, 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine and a continuously variable automatic transmission. Its fastback roofline and gaping lower grille lend an aggressive appearance, but competitors like the Honda HR-V, Jeep Renegade and Chevrolet Trax offer greater utility and available all-wheel drive.
What’s New on the 2021 Toyota C-HR?
The C-HR’s list of standard active safety features is enhanced with the addition of daytime cyclist detection, low-light pedestrian detection, emergency steering assist and intersection warnings. There’s also a new Nightshade Edition with black 18-inch alloy wheels and black exterior and interior trim.
What Features in the 2021 Toyota C-HR Are Most Important?
Standard features include:
- LED headlights
- 8-inch touchscreen multimedia system
- Android Auto and Apple CarPlay smartphone connectivity
- Satellite radio with three-month trial
- Dual-zone automatic air conditioning
- 60/40-split, folding backseat
- Forward collision warning
- Automatic emergency braking
- Lane departure warning with steering assist
- Full-speed adaptive cruise control
- Automatic high-beam headlights
Available features include:
- Push-button start
- Leather upholstery
- Heated front seats
- Blind spot warning with rear cross-traffic alert
Should I Buy the 2021 Toyota C-HR?
Beauty is in the eye of the car buyer, so we’ll leave that judgment to you. Suffice it to say, if you’re looking for something a little different, the C-HR certainly fits the bill. Its tidy dimensions contain a surprisingly roomy interior, and the hatchback design adds a measure of utility. Rear visibility is a problem, however, and the C-HR’s lack of all-wheel drive won’t sit well with some shoppers.