Kia is one of a handful of carmakers to offer a minivan in both short- and long-wheelbase versions. Both offer the same standard V-6 engine. The long-wheelbase Sedona comes in standard LX and upscale EX trim levels. The short-wheelbase Sedona is available in a single, base trim level. The Hyundai Entourage is closely related to the Sedona.
The Sedona competes with the Honda Odyssey and Dodge Grand Caravan.
The 2009 Kia Sedona gets standard Sirius Satellite Radio with three months of free service and a USB connection port for MP3 players. EX models get an optional navigation unit.
At 189.4 inches long, the short-wheelbase Sedona is about a foot shorter than the long-wheelbase version. Both minivans are 78.1 inches wide. The long-wheelbase version is on par with other minivans in the segment.
- Available 16- or 17-inch wheels
- Standard power mirrors
- Fog lights standard on EX
- Heated front windshield standard on LX and EX
- Power sliding doors optional on LX, standard on EX
- Power tailgate standard on EX
- Power sunroof standard on LX, optional on EX
The Sedona’s seven-occupant interior features one-touch flip-and-fold seats in the second row for easier access to the rear. Long-wheelbase models have a standard 60/40-split third-row seat that can fold into the floor. In the short-wheelbase Sedona, the rear seat folds down, but not into the floor.
Third-row headroom in the short-wheelbase Sedona drops 1.9 inches compared to the long-wheelbase version, and shoulder room falls 3.3 inches. Second-row occupants in the short-wheelbase version lose 3.9 inches of legroom versus the long-wheelbase Sedona. Cargo capacity behind the third row drops from 32.2 cubic feet in the long-wheelbase version to just 12.9 cubic feet in the short-wheelbase Sedona. Overall, there’s 172.3 cubic feet of passenger space in the long-wheelbase model, which bests the Grand Caravan and Odyssey.
- Available cloth or leather seating surfaces
- Standard air conditioning with three-zone controls
- Standard front- and second-row power windows
- Standard power door locks and keyless entry
- Standard cruise control
- Optional navigation system (EX)
- Optional Infinity audio system with 11 speakers (EX)
- Optional rear DVD player with 8-inch monitor (LX and EX)
The five-speed automatic transmission includes a manual-shift mode, something few minivans offer.
- 250-horsepower, 3.8-liter V-6 with 253 pounds-feet of torque
- Five-speed automatic transmission
- Standard side-impact airbags
- Standard side curtain airbags
- Standard antilock brakes
- Standard electronic stability control
- Standard traction control
- Optional back-up warning system (LX and EX)