The Legacy has an extensive lineup of powertrains, including a naturally aspirated or turbocharged 2.5-liter four-cylinder and a horizontally opposed six-cylinder engine. It is sold only as a sedan for 2009.
The Legacy has a varied model lineup; trim levels include the 2.5i, 2.5i Special Edition, 2.5i Limited, 2.5GT Limited, 2.5GT spec.B, 3.0R and 3.0R Limited.
The Legacy competes against the Ford Fusion, Mazda6 and Volkswagen Passat.
New for 2009
The Subaru Legacy gets a standard electronic stability system for 2009. The Legacy also gets a new trim level, called 3.0R, which features the 3.0R Limited's six-cylinder engine but is less expensive. Subaru has stopped selling the Legacy Wagon for 2009.
All Legacy models get an aluminum hood, aerodynamic side ground effects and an in-glass antenna. Turbocharged models have a functional hood scoop and underbody aerodynamic cover.
At 185 inches long and 68.1 inches wide, the Legacy is noticeably smaller than most midsize sedans.
- Available 17- or 18-inch alloy wheels
- Standard power side mirrors
- Standard dual exhaust
- Power moonroof (on all except 2.5i)
- Functional hood scoop on 2.5GT and 2.5GT spec.B
The Legacy can seat five people. There's 93.5 cubic feet of passenger volume, which is noticeably smaller than its competition. Every Legacy gets a revised integrated key fob, which has been reduced in size.
All Legacy models include a 60/40-split folding rear seat with a center pass-thru. The trunk has grocery bag hooks to keep items secure and 11.4 cubic feet of available cargo room.
- Available cloth, leather or perforated leather upholstery
- Standard power windows, locks and remote keyless entry
- Standard air conditioning
- Standard cruise control
- 385-watt premium stereo system (on all except 2.5i)
- Performance-designed seats (2.5GT, 2.5GT spec.B, 3.0R Limited)
- Available dual-zone automatic climate control
- Optional touch-screen GPS system (standard on 2.5GT spec.B)
Under the Hood
Like all Subarus, the Legacy has standard all-wheel drive. The 2.5GT, 2.5GT spec.B and 3.0R get large front and rear ventilated brake rotors.
Subaru's SI-Drive system allows drivers to program accelerator response and is included on the 2.5 GT Limited, 2.5GT spec.B, 3.0R and 3.0R Limited. With the automatic transmission, the 2.5 GT Limited, 3.0R and 3.0R Limited have paddle shifters for manual operation.
- 170-horsepower, 2.5-liter four-cylinder boxer engine makes 170 pounds-feet of torque (standard on 2.5i, 2.5i Special Edition and 2.5i Limited)
- 243-hp, 2.5-liter turbocharged four-cylinder boxer engine makes 241 pounds-feet of torque (standard on 2.5GT and 2.5GT spec.B)
- 245-hp, 3.0-liter six-cylinder makes 215 pounds-feet of torque (standard on 3.0R and 3.0R Limited)
- Standard symmetrical all-wheel drive
- Five-speed manual transmission
- Four-speed automatic transmission (optional on 2.5i and 2.5i Special Edition, standard on 2.5i Limited)
- Five-speed automatic transmission (optional on 2.5GT, standard on 3.0R and 3.0R Limited)
- Six-speed manual transmission (2.5GT spec.B)
- Sport-tuned suspension with inverted front struts standard on 2.5GT spec.B and 3.0R Limited
- Limited-slip rear differential standard on 2.5GT, 2.5GT spec.B and 3.0R Limited
Safety features include:
- Standard side-impact airbags
- Standard side curtain airbags
- Standard active front head restraints
- Standard daytime running lights
- Standard antilock brakes with electronic brake-force distribution
- Standard traction control (except on manual 2.5GT)
- Standard electronic stability system, (except on manual 2.5GT)