- Engine refinement
- Cabin materials
- Steering feedback (GTI)
- Clutch feel (manual transmission)
Starting msrp listed lowest to highest price
- Four-door compact hatchback
- Turbo four-cylinder engine standard
- Manual or automatic transmission
- Automatic emergency braking standard
- Performance-oriented GTI version available
2021 Volkswagen Golf review: Our expert's take
What Is the 2021 Volkswagen Golf?
The front-wheel-drive Volkswagen Golf is a four-door, five-seat compact hatchback that’s powered by a 147-horsepower, turbocharged 1.4-liter four-cylinder engine. A six-speed manual transmission is standard and an eight-speed automatic is available. A performance-oriented GTI version gets a 228-hp, turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder that pairs with a six-speed manual or seven-speed dual-clutch automatic. Competitors include the Hyundai Elantra GT, Toyota Corolla hatchback and Mazda3.
What’s New on the 2021 Volkswagen Golf?
There are no significant changes for the Golf, but the Golf GTI adds gloss-black mirror caps and a gloss-black lip spoiler.
What Features in the 2021 Volkswagen Golf Are Most Important?
Standard features include:
- 16-inch aluminum wheels
- Panoramic moonroof
- Simulated leather upholstery
- Heated front seats
- 6.5-inch touchscreen multimedia system
- Apple CarPlay and Android Auto smartphone connectivity
- Forward collision warning
- Automatic emergency braking
- Blind spot warning
- Reverse automatic braking
Available features include:
- Adaptive LED headlights (GTI)
- Fender premium stereo (GTI)
- 8-inch touchscreen (GTI)
- Adaptive suspension (GTI)
Should I Buy the 2021 Volkswagen Golf?
VW stumbled badly with its diesel emissions scandal, but it’s showing a renewed focus on catering to American tastes while retaining some of its German heritage. That said, the Golf line lacks the styling appeal of some competitors. However, driving one and experiencing its refinement and versatility might be enough to sway some compact SUV–minded shoppers.
- Maximum age/mileage
MY 2015-MY 2017 vehicles / 75,000 miles; MY 2018- MY 2019 vehicles/72,000 miles; MY 2020 and newer vehicles/ 75,000 miles
- Basic warranty terms
Vehicles purchased on or after 1/5/21: MY 2017 & older, 2 yrs/24000 miles (whichever is 1st) limited warranty; MY 2018-19, 1 yr/12000 miles (whichever is 1st) limited warranty; MY 2020 & newer, 2 years/24000 miles (whichever is first) limited warrantyView all cpo program details
- Dealer certification required
- 100-plus point inspection
- Roadside assistance
Have questions about warranties or CPO programs?