Returned it (2018 base hatchback)
April 25, 2019
Topline: Beautiful and sporty feel, but not worth its value.
- Technology, size of floating screen, Android Auto, physical shortcut buttons, intuitive
- Quick acceleration, sport mode is really fun, quiet cabin (except freeways)
- Stylish overall, liked the premium look of the wheels
- Stiff cloth seats, lower panel sticks out and hurts lower back after 30min or so (for me at least)
- Too much plastic all around especially sides of doors, looks cheap
- Lacks premium features/details of comparable value hatchbacks (push-button start, electric seat adjustments, blindspot det, etc.)
- Cannot find any leather seats online specifically for this make/model, unless you customize for $$$
- Stutters when you brake and turn quickly (could just have been this particular vehicle)
- Fuel economy is slightly lower than competitors
- Big blindspots (they have a second smaller mirror on the drivers side to help but it's not enough)
I wanted to like this vehicle so much because I love the way it looks and drives, and I did my research beforehand but the reality was different.
I got a 2018 hatchback base model version for <$16K for <20K miles which I thought was an average but ok deal (looking at Kelley Blue Book).
When my bank was doing its own appraisal of the car (to see if I needed gap insurance) the value was well below that because they base it on features the car has. I know it's a common scenario but when it was missing all these other features that say, a Mazda3 had at a similar price (push-start, blindspot det, heated mirrors, leatherette seats, electric seat adjustments, etc.) I realized the value wasn't there. I passed on the Mazda3 too, but using as an example.
Technology is increasing rapidly so paying on this car for a few years and still using a physical key with plastic insides and uncomfortable cloth seats didn't seem worth it. The YouTube videos and other reviews are true, the seats are very stiff.
If you're going for a test drive, go for AT LEAST 30MIN to see how your body reacts to the stiff seats. Also, go on the highways. While it is a quiet cabin, I found it loud on the freeways.