Audi's S performance designation graces the automaker's largest sedan, the A8 flagship, in the form of the S8. The S8 is the quickest A8 money can buy. Competitors include the Jaguar XJR and Mercedes-Benz S63 AMG.
New for 2009
Many luxury options become standard for 2009.
The S8 measures 199.3 inches long, 74.7 inches wide and 56.1 inches tall. Alongside the XJR and S63 AMG, the S8 is the shortest in length and height, but has the greatest overall body width.
- 20-inch split-spoke alloy wheels
- P265/35YR20 performance tires standard
- Deck lid spoiler
- Deep grille with prominent lower side portals
- S8 badge on aluminum door sills
Thanks to the S8 sedan's 115.9-inch wheelbase, interior dimensions are plentiful. Sport seats are available in dual-tone leather upholstery. Carbon fiber trim is optional, the windows are double-glazed for better insulation and the armrests are upholstered in leather. An optional 1,000-plus-watt sound system by Bang & Olufsen includes 14 speakers. An optional cold weather package includes a heated leather steering wheel with shift paddles, heated rear seats and a ski sack with a rear seat pass-thru.
Standard interior features include:
- Keyless entry and engine start-up
- Audi parking system with rearview camera
- Power trunk opener
- Rear power sunshade and manual rear door sunshades
- Power door closers
Under the Hood
A 5.2-liter V-10 utilizes Audi's direct fuel-injection technology to produce 450 horsepower and 398 pounds-feet of torque. It's mated to a six-speed automatic transmission with Tiptronic manual shifting. In the S8, Tiptronic has been modified to allow for higher shift points and faster responses. All told, the S8 accelerates a hair faster than even the 12-cylinder A8 W12, which costs substantially more.
- Sport-tuned adaptive air suspension
- Standard Quattro all-wheel drive
- Zero to 60 mph in 4.9 seconds
The optional Technology Package features adaptive cruise control, side assist and lane assist. Side assist alerts the driver when vehicles are alongside the S8. With Audi's lane assist, the steering wheel vibrates if the S8 nears a painted lane marking and the turn signal hasn't been activated.
Standard safety features include:
- Four-wheel-disc antilock brakes
- Electronic stability system
- 10 airbags, including knee, front and rear side-impact airbags, and side curtain airbags